BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
81 - 100 of 109 Posts
IMO, a nice alpinestars suit > Joe Rocket any day.

If you're set on the Yamaha branded ones, then you've got limited choices. Also, you usually can't get a 2 piece with non matching tops and bottoms, so if the pants are too big and you go a size down, then the jacket will be too small.

I'm going to get my first bike and also have some questions...

I get the feeling that leather is always better than textile. But if you have those hard plastic armour on your shoulder, elbow, knee, back protector, etc, then even if you slide on the ground, you would be sliding on those hard armour, right? In that case what is the advantage of leather?

I'm planning to do street riding only (to/from work, occasionally farther) and the fastest will probably be 120k in city highways. Would immediately getting all leathers be a bit overkill? (maybe just leather jacket + protective overpants?)

I'm going to get my first bike and also have some questions...

I get the feeling that leather is always better than textile. But if you have those hard plastic armour on your shoulder, elbow, knee, back protector, etc, then even if you slide on the ground, you would be sliding on those hard armour, right? In that case what is the advantage of leather?

I'm planning to do street riding only (to/from work, occasionally farther) and the fastest will probably be 120k in city highways. Would immediately getting all leathers be a bit overkill? (maybe just leather jacket + protective overpants?)
Getting the full leathers is not necessary for most people. The fact is that most people wont want to wear the full getup most of the time, which is fine. Any protection is better than no protection.

If you want to be good, get a leather jacket and some sort of textile pants. Wear jeans from time to time too but know the risks involved and adjust your riding accordingly. What I want to stress is wear gloves and boots all the time! Don't skimp and neglect your feet. :surrender

+1...other branded leathers are probably just as good. Dont get stuck on one just cause it says Yamaha. What if you get another brand bike later on?...then you may be riding a Kawi with Yamaha leathers.

Something like these are fine...

1) http://cgi.ebay.ca/AGVSPORT-LASER-1...oryZ6750QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2) http://cgi.ebay.ca/AGVSPORT-LASER-1...oryZ6750QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
really? someone is actually recommending ebay leathers? I had my eye on a 2pc teknic suit for $200 on ebay but thought "no, shouldn't buy leathers off ebay" *shrug*

I'm still looking around for gear. I wanted something white to be more visible on the road at all times. I also don't like the ones with big lettering across the back or chest. At first I found the Dainese SF pelle black/white, but it is both expensive and very difficult to find. Later on I found Shift Primer leather: http://www.newenough.com/protective...s/shift/primer_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html which seems to look pretty good and has hard elbow and shoulder protector. Another option would be Alpinestar black label ice leather: http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/...ars/black_label_ice_leather_sport_jacket.html

I've read in this thread that Alpinestar is usually better than JR. What about Shift? Is it a reliable, safe brand to go with?

check Craigs List

before you buy - some awesome deals on stuff that people buy but don't use because the first three rides scare the crap out of them and they quite rigth away, and then have to 'dump' all their stuff.

blk w/grey Alpinestars 2 pce lthrs 4 sale ...

I put a set of size 44 Alpinestars up on both this forum and Craigs List ... for any of you out there looking for an exceptionally good value on some leathers. Size 44, armored knees, elbows, shoulders and kneepucks, immaculate condn. asking $320.00.

I'm selling 'cause they're a tiny bit too tight in the chest and waist for me, so I've already bought myself some new ones one size bigger in the exact same model/color scheme (I liked em so much), so I can fit a thicker fleece under the jacket or a back protector more comfortably ...

Will fit 5'8" to 6' tall, 170 to 190 lb rdier ...

pm me if interested ...

No problem.

Also, I bought my helmet online, an Arai Quantum II brand new for $350 USD shipped. The seller even declared it as a $45 dollar gift so that I didn't have to pay tax + duties.

Compare this to $899 local tag price + 12% tax. Yikes.

The best I've seen locally for the Quantum II was $600 + tax including a visor at the Bike Show.
Occasionally here in Ottawa, they have end of year sales and the Quantums run around $450-$500.

Yes, you do need to go crazy, although it depends on your views about leathers in the first place. I didn't think i needed leathers when i got into riding, as my dad and my brother didn't wear any gear when they were riding back in asia. Took the course at PRS and they taught me how leather protects, etc...but still, i was not 100% convinced. Only reason i bought leathers was because "xxxx" told me i should do it.

So i went for my road ride during the windy/rainy day about a week or two ago, and had to make an emergency stop. I pulled the front + back brakes, but it resulted the bike in loosing traction. I skidded till stop, but i was not able to regain balance, so the bike fell on my right toe. It felt like i torn/bruise a muscle, and was painful to walk for about 4days. If it wasn't for my riding boots, it would of been way worse, my toes could of been gone. The way i see it is...my riding boots has a mark in the toe part of the boot, and it looks pretty brutal. Now picture that amount of damage on lets say, Converse or some Nike shoes, now THAT would of been a disaster.

My point is you only got one body parts (yes you have two arms, etc, but you get what i mean), and its better spending that $1000 or so on gear than to look back saying "f*ck, if i had gear i would of..."

Oh and if you can't afford leathers, then suck up your pride and buy used

In one of the English bike magazines recently they had a 'traveling' doctor (a riding doctor that follows racers) evaluate gear. He mentions that soft armor may be better than hard armor in leathers based on injuries that he's seen. Hitting an edge such as a curb with hard armor may cause a tear in the leathers or a break in your bones. Also he mentions that pricey leather may not offer any more protection than the cheaper stuff.

If you look at our gear you will find that it is not sub par leather as was suggested on this thread. It is 1.1 - 1.3 mm leather and is very strong in the event of a crash. We have sold hundreds of leathers to racers , hard core riders, newbies and every other kind of person on a bike. Read the testimonials on our website www.rubbersidedown.ca and make up your own mind. Custom gear is one thing we specialize in so if there is any style or design that you want let me know and we will make it for you. Cheers.

you contact me or alex from tap-moto.there new suits are top shelf and match in quality to any of the name brands w/o the huge price tag.

Just got my first set of leathers yesterday. I decided to go with the Alpinestars SP-1 they were not an arm and leg. Less then 8 bones but the quality is very nice. My advice is anything is better then nothing and you can always upgrade the suit if need be but skin is harder to replace.

Not to thread-jack, but does paying more = better gear?
I've noticed my cheap Joe Rocket gear (Gloves/Jackets) is wearing a little on the gloves, and the zippers on the upper arms get stuck, etc.

Is it just Joe Rocket is cheap? Or does higher end gear last longer in general?

81 - 100 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.