BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
...LIKE A BOSS!
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a set of new tires earlier in the season and am picking up my bike today after install. I understand that to break them in correctly would mean take it easy for approx. 150-300 kms and gradually increase the lean angle over time (correct me if im wrong). My question is, would a quick burnout benefit me just before I leave the shop (after a ride around to make sure everything is good) or should I not do that and just leave like I normally would and ride like its raining out?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
23,557 Posts
A quick burnout??? wtf, this a joke?

If you want to "scrub" a 1-2" centre line, sure burn away, not going t help you much
going around a corner though.

Just take it easy for the first 100ish kms, gradual turns, smooth, and that's all you need to do.

If you want to, and are capable, skills-wise, go to a big empty parking lot, and just do figure 8's
in both directions, tighter and tighter for maybe 30min's, you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Hey bro, just ride it a little carefully for the first couple hundred Km and you will be good to go after that. It won't take too long for the smooth top layer to rub off revealing the nice new sticky rubber.

A burnout is never a good idea IMO, especially with brand new tires & the layer of new smooth/slippery rubber isn't thick enough to warrant a burnout. :/

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Just take it easy for the first 100ish kms, gradual turns, smooth, and that's all you need to do.

If you want to, and are capable, skills-wise, go to a big empty parking lot, and just do figure 8's
in both directions, tighter and tighter for maybe 30min's, you'll be good to go.
This ..

·
Registered
305 Posts
In my opinion, I would say ride with very little lean angle for the first 30-45 mins of sustained riding. Really what you want to do is heat cycle them a bit a couple of times. When I got my Power 3's on a month ago, I just took it easy for the first 100 kms or so. They haven't slipped even once on me. Definitely don't do a burnout....that would be pointless.

·
Katani Kalan
909 Posts
It's a nice day today ride to Squabucks doing speed limit and have a coffee. On ride back do as you please they'll be "scrubbed in" by then.

·
Green
2,290 Posts
If you are asking this question I am not certain you have the experience required to pull off a successful dealership burnout..I may be incorrect.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
You're supposed to do stoppies. Or I forget, maybe that's for breaking in new brake pads? :noevil

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
In my opinion, I would say ride with very little lean angle for the first 30-45 mins of sustained riding. Really what you want to do is heat cycle them a bit a couple of times. When I got my Power 3's on a month ago, I just took it easy for the first 100 kms or so. They haven't slipped even once on me. Definitely don't do a burnout....that would be pointless.
Heat cycle's have nothing to do with it.

You've got to wear off the residual release agent they use on the tire molds to pop the tires away from the molds. Depending on the type of road and speed you're travelling [smooth tarmac of typical Metro Vancouver road, or knarley rough pebbly surface of Watcom county in Washington] you could 'break in' tires in as little as 10 miles. It's all about wearing away the release agent off the tire surface.

·
countdown to next crash..
2,658 Posts
Heat cycle's have nothing to do with it.

You've got to wear off the residual release agent they use on the tire molds to pop the tires away from the molds. Depending on the type of road and speed you're travelling [smooth tarmac of typical Metro Vancouver road, or knarley rough pebbly surface of Watcom county in Washington] you could 'break in' tires in as little as 10 miles. It's all about wearing away the release agent off the tire surface.
I thought this was a thing of the past and it was about the heat cycles? I'm certainly no expert, just looking to clarify what I've been told

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Very good info for race tires and DOT track tires, on a race track. Utterly useless info for a regular street tire.
still 100% true for 'regular' street tires. They arent made using a different process, just materials.

p.s. i've been fortunate enough to have talked to engineers with almost every major tire manufacturer. they were all unanimous when it came to release agents and scrub in.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
Very good info for race tires and DOT track tires, on a race track. Utterly useless info for a regular street tire.
YMMV. imo A good part of that information is still pertinent to street tires.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
still 100% true for 'regular' street tires. They arent made using a different process, just materials.

p.s. i've been fortunate enough to have talked to engineers with almost every major tire manufacturer. they were all unanimous when it came to release agents and scrub in.
So just to clarify for everyone here, you say new tire breakin is all about an initial heat cycle series , and no worries about new tire surface??

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
I don't think that's what he's saying and btw you're right -it's not about heat cycles. it's still the same as any time you ride, cold tires don't offer the same grip. temper your riding with right amount of caution until you have a proper about of heat in your tire.
My brother took a file to his new tires yesterday at GMR before the first rainy session. he had exactly the same result I did.

·
...LIKE A BOSS!
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Clearly my burnout idea was a fail n not well thought thru. Obviously doing a burnout would ruin the shape n tech of the tire just with all the grease talk i thought it would be worse than it was hence the idea to "burn off" any residue but it seems its no different then car tires. Anyways...fig 8s have come to mind n thanks for that input. I understand this is what the parking lot chicken strip gathering does.

I cant wait for new brake pads and try the stoppie idea!

·
Banned
9 Posts
So just to clarify for everyone here, you say new tire breakin is all about an initial heat cycle series , and no worries about new tire surface??

Wrong. It has nothing to do with heat cycles or 'mold release' (which isn't used on street or 'race' tires anyway). All the recommended 'break in' period is for is to allow the rider to get used to the profile and characteristics of the new tire. Doing figure-8's in a parking lot or a burnout on brand new tires does nothing but show what a tool you are.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts