BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Twin B
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's not actually changed yet but so far so good, I've managed to break the bead and get the old tire off with minimal effort and damage.

My rims aren't pretty so I figured I haven't much to loose and wanted the experiance. I can see why it's easy to really mar a decent set of rims tho.

Oh and clamping the tire to break the bead works like crap, but the clamp came in handy...

More pictures of my efforts here: http://twinbrosracing.smugmug.com/gallery/2043046/1/104895843

I'm planning on balancing the tires myself as well, where can I buy wheel weights?

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Homemade tire machine? Sweet! Time to sell on eBay.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
Homemade tire machine? Sweet! Time to sell on eBay.
lol. too bad it's attached to the house. i can see it now. home made bead breaker for sale comes w/ house. lol, well it's only clamped. you can sell the house seperately.

OK. great, now do my tires.

·
Twin B
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hard to say. Breaking the bead was super quick and easy. Just remember to pull the valve core...
Getting the first half of the tire over the rim was pretty quick, but I really had to work to get the bottom off. I Think I had the tire funny on the rim, once I got it started it came off easy.

I'd guess under an hour. But, that was just getting the tire off.

I haven't mounted anything yet. Stay tuned.

Does it get easier?

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
gotta learn sometime. the next time should be faster.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,221 Posts
I'm planning on balancing the tires myself as well, where can I buy wheel weights?
Coolio, he'd surely be the man in the know on that item :laughing

·
Registered
155 Posts
will a shop charge the same to put a tire on if you just take the rim off yourself and give it to them?

·
you can't touch this..
124 Posts
lol..that's great,,,now,to make my own....!!..

·
Twin B
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah im sure it would get much easier if you brought me beer and came and used my tire machine, lol
Yeah I'm sure that would be easier, but I don't know how to use the tire machine either. :laughing

Hell, I haven't any tires to spoon on yet and I can't take my rear tire off until I get the front back on. No room in the garage.

I'm doing this to learn and for the pure rotten fun of it.

BTW, is that an offer Brad?

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
Imperial's a bit of stretch for us..time wise it's a bit out of the way. nice to know people still like the beer bribe tho..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts