BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Foecus on this
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, just wondering if I could get some advice about my bike. I noticed that when parked and shut off, it really stinks bad of gas fumes, almost like it's flooded. The bike runs great and there is no leaks, no knocking.....just wondering if this is a traight of these bikes or not. It's a 1998 GSX R600 SRAD. Also is there no fuel switch on this bike to switch it over to res if i need to?? Can't find it anywhere.

Just wondering if I need to get this to the shop....last thing i need it a pooched motor.

Thanks for your help! :rockon

·
Dr Tung
558 Posts
my wife's Susuki GS500 smells of gas once in awhile. The mechanic said it was normal for it to vent thru the tube...on the other hand my Honda smells like roses..

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Don't worry about it....my gixxer stinks like ass.....

G

·
your bike doesn't have a fuel petcock; it has a fuel pump and a low gas light.

some things to check: make sure the gas cap is in good condition. the sealing ring isn't damaged and the locking mechanism actually works. check the overflow line to make sure you are not dripping gas out of the tank. check the gas lines anyways. you say there are no leaks, but if you smell gas, there is a leak of some kind someplace. make sure the gas lines are properly clamped at all the fittings.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Just to add to Doug's good advice you WILL have to pull off your fairings to properley check under the tank. Rub your finger on all the lower runs of ALL the gas lines and at each connection and check for a gas smell on your finger after each line and connection. Be sure to check all the little interconnecting fuel gallery segments on the carb or injector body stack. Often there's only one fuel line to the carb/injector string but there are small tubular gallery interconnector tubes sealed with O rings. Or your setup may just have fuel lines but with T's and 90's and short connector lines off the fittings to the bodies. Either way there's lots of connections and you need to check 'em all. I'll bet you find where it's leaking from that.

If it's got carbs (not sure what year Zuki went for EFI although the lack of a petcock sure says EFI) then be sure to check the float bowl drains for a drip of gas with the same finger smelling technique. You may have a drain screw that is loose or you may have a float needle or needle seat gone bad.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
ive seen a few of the efi models leak at the gasket to the tank.Also if you havent done it recently take off the airox lid and clean in there,they have a drain plug on the left side back of the airbox,pull it off see if ya have oil/gas in there.

j

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Don't worry about it....my gixxer stinks like ass.....
Yeah GSXRs just stink, I hear people are getting rid of them for Kawis ....:eek

J/K dude, listen to the real advice ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts