BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just did my last race with the CBR600F2 yesterday. It's been a grand 5 years of riding and I closed up this whole story with sub 1:20's solidly under my belt plus finally got to run at Seattle and Portland this year to close out yet another goal. On top of that we had two wonderful years of Boundry Bay events plus I ran at Saratoga once and hit Spokane for 6 days of riding. All in all not a bad 5 years of track time.

It's been fun but it's time for me to move on. Even running at the pace I'm at I can feel there's more but I just do NOT have the stamina to get there and ride at that pace for long. Even now I get tired and start making mistakes a lap or two before the end of the race. How the Moto GP riders do it for 45 minutes is just WAY beyound my comprehension.

Anyhow even though I won't be riding the CBR at Mission anymore I haven't got the racing bug totally out of my system. I got into the mini road racing with the Pacific Coast Mini Road Racing Club and it's a hoot. Rubbin' elbows but at reduced speeds and GREATLY reduced cost is JUST as much fun. Granted the speeds aren't there but I've got my share of that and can concentrate on having fun.

I'll likely be doing a couple of the Track Dayz with the Husky motard or perhaps I'll even risk the Z1000 at a reduced pace just to see how it feels. But the racing days at Mission are done. However they aren't getting rid of me that easily... :D I've met far too many great people out there and plan on being at the track to either help out or just kibitz for many years to come.

PS: For those that say that if you don't crash you're not trying hard enough? Well perhaps that's true. In my 5 years I only crashed once and it was a sorry little prat fall after a long run on the gravel in turn 2. If I'd pushed harder and crashed once or twice I suspect I'd have hit my final performance level a year or two ago and be that much further down in times. However I don't mind. It meant that I got to wake up and go to work on Mondays without a lot of hurtin'.. :D

The point of this PS is that it IS possible to ride the track and learn a heap and come out the other end without a crashed bike. For anyone that has considered it I STRONGLY suggest you jump in. Either at Troy's Track Dayz or go for the full pull and get the racing license. It's truly one of the most exciting things you can do in your life.

·
back on the street
1,832 Posts
sorry to hear you won't be bangin bars with us anymore, Bruce... But any time your at the track there will always be a cold drink and an extra chair in my pits for ya... stop on by.....

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,237 Posts
I'll be out at mini racing with you Bruce as I picked up one of Spero's YSR80s! And, I'm looking to get a motard and possibly race. So if you ever want to sell yours, give me a call. Plus, I bought a KX250 for playin in the dirt. Maybe I'll hit up a couple of those dirt schools you and Eric like to go to!

As Jay said, there is always room in our pit for you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bruce, sorry for bumping knee sliders with you during sportsman qualifying - just before turn four. Would've been a bad way to end if we took each other out.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hey Bruce,

Good to see you make it out the other side in one peice. Don't know ya too well, but always a pleasure to hear what you have to say, as it's not the usual rabble that can come out of some of the mouths around here. You seem to be a good honest guy.

take it easy.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
congrats on reaching your goals Bruce.
As usual you are right on with you're wise advice. i totally agree with your PS. I waited along time to get started riding track; this year was my first full year of track days at Mission and Seattle and all I can say is I wish I had started years ago. It was an awesome year with no mishaps (ok one, but I never actually hit the wall..)and lots learned..we'll be back for more next year!

The point of this PS is that it IS possible to ride the track and learn a heap and come out the other end without a crashed bike. For anyone that has considered it I STRONGLY suggest you jump in. Either at Troy's Track Dayz or go for the full pull and get the racing license. It's truly one of the most exciting things you can do in your life.

·
MoToSucCubUS
1,784 Posts
Hey Bruce, nice post and glad to hear the satisfied tone to your words. it sounds like a whole new chapter opening rather than closing. mini-racing is nothing to be scoffed at! or so i hear...

hope to maybe see you on the track sometime next year and everywhere in between.

hugs... holly

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Nice just like a seasoned gambler, knows when to walk away a winner.
Ps
I had a great time following you around spokane track years ago, thanks.
PEte

·
The Comedy is in the Back
11,948 Posts
i have a feeling that u'll be back out there...i sure as hell hope to see you next year..even if its once in a while in turn 7 :D

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Wow, I can't believe I've known you for that long Bruce. I remember the first time I ever met you - ran into you at Burnaby Kawasaki shortly after you started running your F2 at MRP.

...but the Spokane "Over the Top" days were the funnest, and BBay wasn't too bad either. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well Bruce I can say you will have an absolute blast mini racing.There are a few different classes,so you will find something you like.Usually if you do hit the rhubarb,you can get up and get back at it.Not to say you have to crash,but for people that don't want to miss work and love racing it is great.Hope to see you next year.Cheers!

·
JUST WANNA BE...
125 Posts
I just did my last race with the CBR600F2 yesterday. It's been a grand 5 years of riding and I closed up this whole story with sub 1:20's solidly under my belt plus finally got to run at Seattle and Portland this year to close out yet another goal. On top of that we had two wonderful years of Boundry Bay events plus I ran at Saratoga once and hit Spokane for 6 days of riding. All in all not a bad 5 years of track time.

It's been fun but it's time for me to move on. Even running at the pace I'm at I can feel there's more but I just do NOT have the stamina to get there and ride at that pace for long. Even now I get tired and start making mistakes a lap or two before the end of the race. How the Moto GP riders do it for 45 minutes is just WAY beyound my comprehension.

Anyhow even though I won't be riding the CBR at Mission anymore I haven't got the racing bug totally out of my system. I got into the mini road racing with the Pacific Coast Mini Road Racing Club and it's a hoot. Rubbin' elbows but at reduced speeds and GREATLY reduced cost is JUST as much fun. Granted the speeds aren't there but I've got my share of that and can concentrate on having fun.

I'll likely be doing a couple of the Track Dayz with the Husky motard or perhaps I'll even risk the Z1000 at a reduced pace just to see how it feels. But the racing days at Mission are done. However they aren't getting rid of me that easily... :D I've met far too many great people out there and plan on being at the track to either help out or just kibitz for many years to come.

PS: For those that say that if you don't crash you're not trying hard enough? Well perhaps that's true. In my 5 years I only crashed once and it was a sorry little prat fall after a long run on the gravel in turn 2. If I'd pushed harder and crashed once or twice I suspect I'd have hit my final performance level a year or two ago and be that much further down in times. However I don't mind. It meant that I got to wake up and go to work on Mondays without a lot of hurtin'.. :D

It's time to get the dirt bike out now!!! If I don't see you dirt biking, I'll see you motarding! Come by and visit, you live right by me...:coffee

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
Sounds like you had a blast Bruce, and thats the point. Next adventure on deck!

·
Twin B
1,208 Posts
Bruce, I'd just like to say thanks for the help at BB. You took the time to help me fiddle with my suspension. You are a great resource to all, I would have liked to be out on the track with you, perhaps a track day sometime.
Many thanks again.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah.... good ol' Boundry Bay. That was a great couple of seasons. I still can't thank Bill enough for setting those up for us.

Helping others enjoy their bikes as much as I enjoy my own is part of the fun for me. It's a big part of why I tend to spend so much time typing here and helping set up the suspensions to at least get in the ball park.

·
Registered
374 Posts
you coming out to f440 soon it's not the same with out cha!
you missed another one of my crashes on monday:laughing

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you coming out to f440 soon it's not the same with out cha!
you missed another one of my crashes on monday:laughing
Got new tires now so I'll be out soon. But I won't be doing any Monday nights. Too little light left by the time I can get out there. Also this Monday is a WMRC club meeting and they owe me money... :D

I'm going to start going out on Saturdays or Sunday afternoons when the weather is decent.

As for misssing your crashes, no worries. I'm sure you'll perform on demand in the future... :evilgrin

1 - 20 of 20 Posts