BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found a little oil leak comin from around the shifter, any ideas on what to do?

thanks

·
this is my...boomstick!
1,545 Posts
Deceptively simple sounding. There is indeed a seal around the output shaft that causes these leaks. However, depending on the bike, this can be less than an hour's work or a marathon, split-the-cases frustration-fest. Find out first.

CR

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CrotchetyRocket said:
Deceptively simple sounding. There is indeed a seal around the output shaft that causes these leaks. However, depending on the bike, this can be less than an hour's work or a marathon, split-the-cases frustration-fest. Find out first.

CR

i think he's saying that his shift shaft seal is leaking. countershaft seals rarely leak before the more abused shift shaft one. if it is the countershaft than there's a good chance it has a ring around the seal that sits into a groove and the only way to replace is like he said to split the cases.

·
Now accepting DONATIONS!
425 Posts
funny enough that this was leaking on the CBR 1000RR at the auto show when I was there last night!! brand new bike and leaks already.....?????

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its a suzuki gs500, and its got over 75,000 ks, is it hard to replace the 'o' ring or oil seal?

·
Registered
495 Posts
5thgear said:
Or get a seal puller like the pro shops have and do it in 5 minutes
Or do it the hay wire way with 2 wood screws and a pry bar. Its the way of I don't have the right tool for the job. lol but it works.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Yobro, from all the replies you should have a decent idea of what to do by now. First off you need to open up the area by taking off the front sprocket cover and clean the good out of that area well. Some scraping off the worst of it with a screwdriver then some engine shampoo by GUNK or solvent with a toothbrush to degease the area followed by some good ol' soap and water. That'll clean the area so you can see what is going on. Let the bike sit for a while until you can see where the oil is truly coming from for sure. If it's the shifter shaft then you'll likely be able to see that there's a black rubber seal visible to you. It probably is just a push in fit but check for a snap ring. If it seems to be coming down from the output shaft then pull off the sprocket and spacers and see if it's a simple push in seal or if it's inside the cases.

If they are simple push in seals then go and order replacements from your trusty Zook dealer. The seals are a sheet metal L section covered with the rubber material. You can poke through them with a small screw as suggested and then grab the screw with a pair of good pliers and lift the old seal out. When you put the new one in it's best if you can use a length of pipe with a smooth and square end to tap the seal into place. If you don't have any tubing of that sort then use closed end wrench that fits down around the shaft and up against the new seal to push it into place. For the shift shaft seal you can likely just push it into place. Just be sure it starts square on. If it's the larger output shaft you'll likely need to lightly go around and tap it into place with some bits and pieces. Just be sure to go gently and in small steps and keep moving around to avoid any undo distortion to the seal.

And as always, if the above all sounds like Greek then get thee hence unto a renowned and trusted purveyor of mechanical skills and services.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts