BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
impark

if you are parked illegally they can tow your car.

if you have 5 tickets or 10 or 100 but have paid for the spot legally this time, they cannot tow your car legally. they'll tow it but they've essentially just stolen it to extort you. this is their little secret they don't want out of the bag.

a buddy of mine's dad had a bunch of tickets and paid for his spot one day and exactly this happened. his beloved jag was towed. he essentially went down there and threatened to hit the paper with this fact...he now has free lifetime parking at impark lots downtow.

· Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
J_scott you are probably just lucky since generally if you have a certain number of City of Vancouver parking tickets, they can just tow you the next time your car is in violation. Same with Impark. If they plug in your license plate number and you have unpaid tickets, then they tow you. I have also had the city mail me summons etc for my parking tickets. Your summons are probably ending up at a previous address or something. I have had several tickets over the years parking around VGH. Part of the reason I like riding so much; I get free parking right in front of the main door.

I only ignore UBC parking tickets.
Yep, a guy in my office had his car towed - had 2 unparked City tickets and was getting a third ticket when they towed.

I also have used up my one free ticket as Adam describes.... for my current licence plate.

Another friend had a bunch of unpaid City of Vancouver parking tickets, the City had sent him a couple of nasty letters which he ignored. He went through a roadblock last year, the cops ran his plate and off to jail he went, with his car impounded. I bailed him out... ie., paid his outstanding tickets w/ penalties and the impound fee for his car - and he paid me back immediately. I think the total cost was around $800.

· Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I rode with a group last summer. We all got pulled over by the po-po on the S2S and buddy with $400 in outstanding parking tix in Vancouver got arrested.

· Registered Abuser
1,017 Posts
I just got a letter from THE CITY OF VANCOUVER informing me that to date, my plate has 4 outstanding parking tickets. I guess that must mean that I'm being pardoned for all the rest. I figure at least 2-3 grand worth anyway :)

· Registered
4,335 Posts
shhh, I did it once 2 years ago as well, but i thought i had to flirt my way through the conversation to get it.

I still hope till this day it was a woman i was talking to! :thumbup

But seriously so did I.

· Get outta the fast lane!!
1,338 Posts
Not sure about City of Van for parking tickets, generally assume you're screwed on that one.

A relative of mine worked at Impark. Extortion is their business. On her advice I got out of a few parking tickets for next to nothing. Here's the deal (and it works, I've done it twice myself). When you get your ticket, put it in an envelope with a cash donation such as a loonie or toonie. Don't get too generous! LOL Write on the back of the ticket "this is my full and final payment". Mail it to them. When they get it, they are stuck in a loop-hole of the law. Legally they cannot mail you the cash back that you mailed. By accepting the cash you sent, they are bound by "this is my full and final payment". So that's how you stick it to them. Sure... you'll get a nasty little letter saying they let you off the hook this time and not next time. Ya... whatever.

· Mortgage Pimp
9,197 Posts
Yep, a guy in my office had his car towed - had 2 unparked City tickets and was getting a third ticket when they towed.

I also have used up my one free ticket as Adam describes.... for my current licence plate.

Another friend had a bunch of unpaid City of Vancouver parking tickets, the City had sent him a couple of nasty letters which he ignored. He went through a roadblock last year, the cops ran his plate and off to jail he went, with his car impounded. I bailed him out... ie., paid his outstanding tickets w/ penalties and the impound fee for his car - and he paid me back immediately. I think the total cost was around $800.
Okay Okay, I'll fuckin' pay them. :)

Wait, does it go on your record or your license plate?

· banned user
6,294 Posts
Ive never paid a parking ticket?

Ive never been arrested?

Ive had lots of calls from "collection agencies"?

None of them have continued to call?

My Credit Checks are always clean as a whistle?

Ive been pulled over and gone through road checks, never arrested or even told of outstanding tickets?

What gives?

· Mortgage Pimp
9,197 Posts
Ive never paid a parking ticket?

Ive never been arrested?

Ive had lots of calls from "collection agencies"?

None of them have continued to call?

My Credit Checks are always clean as a whistle?

Ive been pulled over and gone through road checks, never arrested or even told of outstanding tickets?

What gives?
Me too, but I trust Tony. :)

· Mortgage Pimp
9,197 Posts
N/M I only had $290 in unpaid tickets! Mind you some of them are probably from out of town and shit. And I'm not counting Impark or those guys.

I'm just gonna pay them so I don't end up like these people.

Leave it to Canada to put people in violation of parking tickets in jail while murderers, thieves and drug dealers walk the streets.

Isn't it interesting you can get 90 days in jail for a parking ticket and Marbod got a year probation? interesting.

· Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
J_Scott said:
but I trust Tony. :)

that was your first mistake!: laughing

That story sounds like what happened to my friend - off in the paddy wagon for unpaid tickets. He wasn't asked to strip or anything - actually, the cops were fairly apologetic and decent - just following their procedures. He was out in a couple of hours after I paid his bills - I wanted to take a picture of him in custody for prosperity, but I wasn't allowed... damn it!

· Learning the hard way.
1,377 Posts
It costs about $40 to change your plate. Couldn't you just report your plate stolen and get a new one and another freebie?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.