BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having people over for dessert tomorrow.
What are your suggestions for a sure-fire hit? I don't want to buy the dessert. I prefer to make it myself.
What do you guys create when you really want to impress someone?

·
1,768 Posts
My girlfriend is the master of desserts!!! :)

She has one of those cake pans that makes a hollow cake (link) and the it was filled with cherry pie filling and vanilla pudding or custard. Some whip cream on the outside with chocolate drizzled on top. It was so quick and easy to make (minus time to bake cake) and it tasted sooooooo good! It was a really impressive cake too with the inside all filled. Just have to be careful cutting it.......

EDIT: Those cake pans are $15 at LNT

;D

D

·
0 Posts
apple pie. simple, yet made from scratch has the down home feel to it.

crust recipes are even on the shortening box. for your apple mix, just get half a dozen apples, peel and cut them, mix them up with about half a cup of flour and half a cup of sugar, and maybe some sugared cinnamon for a bit of zing. if you are bold and daring, sprinkle coconut on the crust before adding your apple mix.

failing that, whip up some fruit sorbet in the blender with crushed ice and fresh fruit. or use the blender to whip whipping cream and either chocolate or strawberry syrup.

it's amazing what simple things you can make just by watching magic bullet infomercials :D

·
huh?!??!
129 Posts
tiramisu

mmmmmm....getting hungry thinking about dessert.

·
huh?!??!
129 Posts
Here's the recipe. Save me a slice if you do make it! :)

Tiramisu Recipe

Preparation Time: ½ - 1 hour
Refrigeration Time: 3 hours – overnight

Ingredients:
1/3 cup sugar
6 eggs
500ml Mascarpone Cheese
500ml whipping cream (keep very cold before using)

2 – 4 packages Italian ladyfinger biscuits (depends on size of dish) or yellow sponge cake

1 cup expresso or very strong coffee (room temperature or cold)
3 Tablespoons sugar
Optional (add to coffee): 1 ½ oz Kahlua or 1 ½ oz Grand Marnier

Grated semi-sweet chocolate or cocoa powder

Method:
1. Separate egg yolks from egg whites. Need to ensure absolutely no egg yolk is in the egg whites otherwise egg whites will not beat.
2. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites while gradually adding sugar. Beat till stiff peaks are formed. Refrigerate beaten egg whites until ready to fold.
3. Rinse beaters. In a large bowl, beat whipping cream until thick (peaks formed) yet be careful not to overbeat otherwise cream will turn into butter. Refrigerate whipped cream until ready to fold.
4. Rinse beaters. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks with Mascarpone Cheese.
5. Fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites.
6. Fold egg mixture into whipped cream. Refrigerate until ladyfingers are ready.
7. Make coffee mixture (coffee and sugar). Brush coffee mixture generously on both the front and bottom of ladyfingers. Ensure ladyfingers are saturated but not overly wet. Do not dip/soak ladyfingers into the coffee mixture otherwise ladyfingers will be too soggy.
8. Layer bottom of glass dish with coated ladyfingers. Add cream mixture on top. Smooth with spatula or spoon. Sprinkle on top with either grated semi-sweet chocolate or cocoa powder. Repeat layers of ladyfinger, cream mixture, chocolate/cocoa until all cream mixture is finished. Sift cocoa powder or sprinkle grated chocolate on top to finish.
9. Refrigerate for minimum 3 hours or overnight before serving to allow mixture to set and flavours to absorb.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
mikeelliot said:
Sex in a pan.

+1 for Sex in a pan! Damn that shit is tasty :thumbup

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WTF is sex in a pan?

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
Quite possibly the best desert ever made besides Tiramisu :thumbup

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's dessert parties?
Look how much I'm learning today! :D

·
track hack
2,009 Posts
Gotta vote for creme brulee - the best, easiest, and most well received dessert of all time!

Only 4 ingredients, 5 if you add another flavoring...

·
Fixer
1,610 Posts
you bastids, i shouldn't have read this thread, now i want to toss dinner out the window and pig out on that sex in a pan (minus the pecans).
thanks to all for some great recipes!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Young Lion said:
Gotta vote for creme brulee - the best, easiest, and most well received dessert of all time!

Only 4 ingredients, 5 if you add another flavoring...
is this the same thing as "creme caramel"? that's what i was gonna suggest. yummy! its so easy and tasty and it really impresses the guests cuz it looks soooooooooooo gourmet!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Rice pudding is easy and tasty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts