2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am a novice rider
and lucked out to pick up a used Ducati Monster 695 2007 model for
a cheap price... THEN
last summer i wrecked it while riding in VancouverIsland
and due to time constraints with work schedules
and financial issues I didn't get a chance to take it to the shop.
The minor cosmetic damage my friend and I managed to
fix or replace with aftermarket parts
But... the real problem lies in the engine noise.
It's off, and sounds nasty, a metallic spinning noise
that gets worse with acceleration.

I have it at John Valk Ducati right now, and after the initial
1hr check they couldn't find out what was wrong.
SO, i gave them the go ahead to check it out for 2 more hours.
Today I called to find out that they have it up on a lift
and they are telling me they have no idea what is wrong
and feel that they will need more than 2 more hours to find out
the problem, which will most definitely require opening the engine.

Now i'm thinking... the problem was obviously within the engine
as the sound was unmisakeably COMING from the engine, not to mention
their initial response that the sound grew worse with acceleration.

This seems to me that they have a rough idea of where to go to find the problem yet they are telling me they will need more time to work on it?

I mean I don't know much about engines and repairs, but I feel like i'm being lead around --- plus the biggest problem is, I can't afford to pay for the repairs with the labor costs being so high... 3 hours is pretty much the max
hours i could invest, and they've gone and blown it just to tell me they need to open the engine and get in there??

Is there another private mechanic i could take it to?
Do any of you have any experience/knowledge of how mechanics-John Valk Ducati or not-work?

I appreciate any advice or tips you could offer...

I just want to get back out on the road...

Thanks.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
It's a shop and I recommend them as well.
It's not uncommon for any shop really to spend your budget "looking" for a problem. You dropped your bike off and said something's wrong.. find it, well.. that's really giving them alot of leeway. it is odd as if it's that obvious of a noise, it shoud be easy to find really.. take it to another shop and get a second opinion.
Personally i'd start saving your money, a large uncomfortable sound coming from your engine, especially on a ducati is most likely going to involve opening the engine and costing you far more than 3 hours labour.. then again maybe you get lucky and it's simple.. like a bent clutch basket or something.

·
license to chill
2,863 Posts
1) You have chosen to own an Italian motorcycle without much mechanical knowledge. There probably needs to be more realistic budgeting for repairs, current and future, beyond a three-hour amount.

2) You are at a dealership. Their niche isn't exactly providing cut-rate service for the financially-challenged.

Enough of my haranguing and on to being more supportive: I like your instincts at the moment. I am in no way a mechanic (disclaimer:)) but believe it's fair to say that if they could not diagnose the problem within three hours then I would not put a lot of faith into them finding it in the next 15 minutes or repairing it in a timely manner. Some problems (esp. intermittent ones) can be really challenging but an actual sound to trace and a strong relation to engine speed are pretty good starting points.

Imperial was the first shop I went to with my first bike and looking back I consider myself somewhat fortunate to receive the treatment my newbie self did. If I was a gambling man I would take the "under" on one hour with Ted for a diagnosis. Putting aside my opinion of Imperial, I think proceeding with any new set of eyes & ears is a good idea.

·
(604)323-0293
683 Posts
Imperial is a very good independent shop. I know all the guys and girls there and they do good work. However the guy you are looking for is Gord Mcmartin. He used to own half of Imperial but sold out to pursue his dream of becoming a Chippendale dancer. I understand he still fixes bikes when his weight becomes an issue. The best guy to get a hold of would be prs mechanic, he knows where Gord is right now.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
I'm no expert but being on a couple Duc sites I have heard of people ending up with funky noises after a wipe out. Generally tend to come after having crashed on the shifter side and that assembly having taken a hit. There's a couple of springs in there that get put out of whack when forced sideways during a crash. Part #24 I believe it is.

·
:D
2,281 Posts
Imperial is a very good independent shop. I know all the guys and girls there and they do good work. However the guy you are looking for is Gord Mcmartin. He used to own half of Imperial but sold out to pursue his dream of becoming a Chippendale dancer. I understand he still fixes bikes when his weight becomes an issue. The best guy to get a hold of would be prs mechanic, he knows where Gord is right now.
Last I heard, Gord had moved out of town (Kelowna maybe?). Is he back in Vancouver now?

I'd be interested to know what they did for 3 hours to diagnose your problem. IMO, 10 minutes to listen to where the noise is coming from, 20 minutes to surf the web if they don't know the answer (which is wierd considering they are the experts), 30 minutes to crack the motor and do a visual.

Take it to Ted at EMS. Cute and talented :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
3 hours to diagnose a problem?

I had an R6 which died on me all of a sudden. Took it to GA Checkpoint to have it looked at. They can't figure out the problem and asked me to leave the bike with them. It took them over a week to rip the bike apart, do some tests and repairs, build the bike again only to find out that what they thought the problem was isn't really the broblem. Eventually, figured out it was the throttle position sensor and replaced it.

I was expecting a huge bill, but all I paid for was the new TPS and the number of hours (according to their book) to fix it.

I know dealers can charge for problem diagnosis, but 3 hours seems a bit too high and pretty much tells me that the dealership (technician looking at the bike) doesn't know much about the bike... which is not your fault, thus you don't have to pay for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
part #24?

I'm no expert but being on a couple Duc sites I have heard of people ending up with funky noises after a wipe out. Generally tend to come after having crashed on the shifter side and that assembly having taken a hit. There's a couple of springs in there that get put out of whack when forced sideways during a crash. Part #24 I believe it is.
Would i be able to ask you where you found this information?
Or at least the name of the ducati forum you visited?
That would help a lot, thanks..

They are telling me it'll be minimum 12 hours labor to check the internal engine.... that's well over 1000 in labor and i can't invest in that right now
even if i were given a guarantee, i'd just like to see if i can do some research
and find out on my own how much work something like the aforementioned part replacement would take realistically.

·
To torque or not?
880 Posts
Gord is at Southwest Motorrad in Kelowna. He still gets down to the coast to visit occasionally.

·
farmer
1,432 Posts
Listen to this man he has knowledge ^
As well you could try more specific forums suited to your bike not one like this... Asking for help and such...

troubleshoot more for us, like what broke? engine cases? lack of oil? flipped upside down and ran for abit? MOre more more moaaaaaaar

This metal spinning noise is coming from what area side of bike? It happened after the crash? Or was before?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts