BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my first bike it's a 95 suzuki Gs 500 and i want to take off the exaust and headers to repaint them. is there anything i should know before going ahead cause i'm kinda new at this. any info would be appreciated.

·
Rock bottom here I come
1,021 Posts
I would suggest the following. Use a penetrating oil on the fasteners about a day before you plan to do the work as they will be partially rusted in place. This would include the studs on the head. You will also need to replace the four exhaust gaskets and they usually a crush washer type gasket.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Watch out for the exhaust gasket spring they like to go flying into eyes or parts of the shop that they can't be found.

·
Magyar ember
431 Posts
What do you plan on useing for paint? BBQ paint? Have you been to a paint shop or anything to talk to a painter?

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
5thgear said:
Watch out for the exhaust gasket spring they like to go flying into eyes or parts of the shop that they can't be found.
A spare shoestring or similar sized cord or bit of thin electrical wire can be slid through the coil and tied to something first before you start grabbing things.

I've used VHT paint on my racing bike headers and found that it burns off pretty quick. BUt then I'm racing it so it's probably getting hotter than the BBQ's.

New metal gaskets for the head are nice but often are not needed.

When you put it back on though it's often hard to get it all to line up just right. Get things down to where they are not quite rattly loose and then just keep wiggling the header assembly up and down and side to side and tighten all the nuts or bolts an 1/8 turn at a time back and forth with some shaking between doing the rounds on the tightening so it all more or less rattles into place like it used to be.

·
Registered
150 Posts
he is going to use a ceramic high heat engine paint ... i used it on my zx7r and it was great ... CT baby

·
Magyar ember
431 Posts
Dude said:
he is going to use a ceramic high heat engine paint ... i used it on my zx7r and it was great ... CT baby
Thats the best way to go I think.:thumbup Allthough ceramic coating is pricey it will last forever. The header on my car is ceramic coated and I 've been running 1400F+ temps through it for years now! At least thats what the pyrometer tells me!

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
I think ceramic coating (it's a high heat treatment to seal the coating) is different from a high temp paint that contains some ceramic component.

Dude, what brand of paint is this? I'd be interested in some as well. So far I have not had much luck with the crud I picked out. Engine block paint won't hold up on headers but if there is a special header paint then that would be great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
can't remember whether the gs500 has a rad or not but if not takin the pipes off will be a breeze, I wouldn't break the bank on paint cuz you can do it every year real easy. BUT, if the pipes are rusted much, I'd go to a shop and get them sandblasted first, the $$$ are reasonable and it'll be nice and clean. Anyway good choice on a first bike, you'll have a blast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts