BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
More filling!
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, some of you may remember my unplanned wilderness adventure back in early September, wherin I stranded myself 65 miles up the Squamish/Elaho valley forest service road network, slept in the dirt, and hiked 25 miles, not seeing a soul for 21 hours, before finally flagging down a gravel truck.

I maintain that this occurred on what passes for a public road in BC. It is, after all, the main access road to the Glendinning Provincial Park. That said, it is somewhat of a non-standard road. This becomes important when you realize that there are cross-ditches on parts of this road, and cagers have layed wood into some of them so their cars can clear.

Based on re-construction only (I did not see/feel this happen) I believe that when I crossed one of these cross-ditches on my V-Strom, one of these pieces of wood flipped up, striking my oil cooler (see photos), and loosening an oil line banjo bolt, eventually resulting in loss of engine oil (all without me realizing it at all) and seizure of my engine.

Skip four months into the future. ICBC has so far accepted my engine damage as covered, but insists this is a collision claim and not comprehensive (technically that piece of wood was "airborn" when it hit my oil cooler, albeit sent flying by my front tire). Between my $500 deductible, a "betterment tax" they wish to charge me because, yes, some other parts were replaced while the engine was in pieces, and ~$1,700 in increased premiums over five years for having filed a collision claim, this will cost me ~$3K over time. A friend has done the work via the professional shop he manages, but I've signed absolutely nothing (nor been asked to).

So, I don't want to be a sucker. Should I suck it up, pay the money and get my bike back and be done with it? Or should I try once again to argue this should be considered a comprehensive claim?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
As an autoplan broker I can tell you that we get bulletins telling of actual claims, on a regular monthly basis and this is exactly how they will pay this claim.
So you have to decide (& ICBC will tell you) whether it worth claiming as this IS going to effect your discount. Now if your claim rated discount is at 43% @20 yrs its going to cost you almost nothing whereas if your at a 15% discount you may not want to claim.

Please keep in mind the basic perils of Comprehensive are

Fire theft glass vandalism, hail rainstorm rising tide sinking stranding and collapse of culvert. Please don't quote me.. this is from my insurance test about 30 yrs ago and at my age the old memory sort of ...hold on what was i talking about...

but its not collision with a piece of wood or a drain cover etc.

If you want more help call me at 604-876-0126 (Paul)

Good Luck

·
More filling!
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul,

Oh, it will be worth filing a claim. The actual repair bill came to something like $5K (which is unfortunate because I could have replaced the motor with a newer used one, installed, for about $3K, but that wasn't an option with ICBC because they insisted on proof that the engine was damaged, and that cost significant tear-down labour, despite the fact that the engine ran on one cylinder and blew great clouds of blue smoke).

Anyway, I think I know the answer; pay up and get riding.

As an autoplan broker I can tell you that we get bulletins telling of actual claims, on a regular monthly basis and this is exactly how they will pay this claim.
So you have to decide (& ICBC will tell you) whether it worth claiming as this IS going to effect your discount. Now if your claim rated discount is at 43% @20 yrs its going to cost you almost nothing whereas if your at a 15% discount you may not want to claim.

Please keep in mind the basic perils of Comprehensive are

Fire theft glass vandalism, hail rainstorm rising tide sinking stranding and collapse of culvert. Please don't quote me.. this is from my insurance test about 30 yrs ago and at my age the old memory sort of ...hold on what was i talking about...

but its not collision with a piece of wood or a drain cover etc.

If you want more help call me at 604-876-0126 (Paul)

Good Luck

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
that'll do it. do you have Road Star?? if so i think they let you have one freebee on your collision.

·
More filling!
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, that would be nice, but I don't think that's true. I am a Road Star, and they sure didn't mention getting one free.

that'll do it. do you have Road Star?? if so i think they let you have one freebee on your collision.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
1/ Collision claim. Same circumstances with the round cover of the gas station underground tank that I went through.
2/ remember, if you do suffer an increase in premiums (talk to your adjuster, he has a database to check these things with only a few key strokes), the increase in premiums will be on the bike only, not your other vehicles.
3/ Roadstar. Bad terminology. You can *be* a Roadstar, meaning your liable claim free for x or y number of years, or you can *buy* Roadstar coverage.
PurpleKawi, I think you're referencing the "free claim," for long term, claim free motorists. This goes back to my item #2. Call the adjuster, and do the simple math, repair costs verses increase in premiums/factoring in the time frame.
You cannot buy Roadstar coverage for a motorcycle.
I

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
i didn't know you could buy Roadstar. i thought it was earned as in claims free years. i know they keep offering me extra Roadstar Gold on top of my Roadstar status but i don't think you can buy Roadstar coverage. i'm pretty sure that title is earned.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Okay you guys heres a chart. The old deal when you got one free accident was a long time ago. Now the more accident free yrs you have the more free accidents (or sort of) that you get. As you can see by this chart if you'e accident free for 2 years and have an accident you get absolutely hammered where as if you have been accident free for 25 you can probably have about 3-4 accidents that are YOUR fault before it costs you very much. Hope this chart helps. Please keep in mind this is only for at fault collision claims, however we are seeing ICBC increase comp deductibles to about $2500 if you have 3 or more comp claims in say 2 years.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
i didn't know you could buy Roadstar. i thought it was earned as in claims free years. i know they keep offering me extra Roadstar Gold on top of my Roadstar status but i don't think you can buy Roadstar coverage. i'm pretty sure that title is earned.
Two separate things.
By being claim free for many years, you "become a Roadstar," and enjoy the benefits outlined in BooBoo11's post.

You can buy The Roadstar Package
http://www.icbc.com/insurance/insura_savemo_rdstar_packag.asp
which is a package of coverage, but you cannot buy Roadstar Claims free driving.

Confused?
Yup, 'cause the term Roadstar is used to describe two completely separate things.

For example, you have an ass, you are an ass.
Same words. Means two things.:laughing

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Two separate things.
By being claim free for many years, you "become a Roadstar," and enjoy the benefits outlined in BooBoo11's post.

You can buy The Roadstar Package
http://www.icbc.com/insurance/insura_savemo_rdstar_packag.asp
which is a package of coverage, but you cannot buy Roadstar Claims free driving.

Confused?
Yup, 'cause the term Roadstar is used to describe two completely separate things.

For example, you have an ass, you are an ass.
Same words. Means two things.:laughing
No not exactly... you get ROADSTAR STATUS or you are a ROADSTAR but you can buy eith the Roadstar Package or the Roadside Plus Package.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
No not exactly... you get ROADSTAR STATUS or you are a ROADSTAR but you can buy eith the Roadstar Package or the Roadside Plus Package.
Exactly my point.
Being a "Roadstar," is not the same as buying the optional Roadstar Package or Roadside Plus package.
You can be a Roadstar, without buying the packages.

Don't you find your customers are confused by the Roadstar labels, depicting distinctly different situation?
I'm in the, and I find it unnecessarily complex.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Every year for the last 5 i've been offered the Roadstar package when renewing the motorcycle insurance by Autoplan agents. Not only is it badly named, but they don't even understand their own coverage.

The last time, I pointed out that Roadstar wasn't an option for motorcyclists, and the agent told me I was wrong, and tried to do a really strong sell on the package. I still declined, and he came this close to calling me stupid for not taking it.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Since we're on the insurance topic, is Megson Fitzpatrick worth looking into with Roadstar Gold (43%)
I write Beacon and their rates are actually better than M/F the problem is both of them don't really like sport bikes as per say...

If your riding say a honda st 1300 or a bmw our rates via beacon are better so if your interested call me 876-0126 and I'll chat.

·
More filling!
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Next time take it, and then bill your broker for interest plus your time for the hassle when it turns out to not be offered to motorcyclists! :rockon

On second thought, you'd better not. They're likely to just keep your money. :surrender

Every year for the last 5 i've been offered the Roadstar package when renewing the motorcycle insurance by Autoplan agents. Not only is it badly named, but they don't even understand their own coverage.

The last time, I pointed out that Roadstar wasn't an option for motorcyclists, and the agent told me I was wrong, and tried to do a really strong sell on the package. I still declined, and he came this close to calling me stupid for not taking it.

·
Waiting for the sun
502 Posts
Yup....It's called the "GOLDEN RULE"......The one with all the gold, makes all the rules.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I write Beacon and their rates are actually better than M/F the problem is both of them don't really like sport bikes as per say...
BooBoo....

I have a cruiser and have been using Megson for my collision/comp coverage. ING is their underwriter. Who is the underwriter for Beacon?

What is the minimum years required for motorcycle experience? Megson took my wife and I with 30 years driving, and 0 years motorcycle... claims free. Now we have 2 years riding, and have taken advanced training at BCSC. As we have two bikes, any savings would be worth considering.

Thanks.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
Exactly my point.
Being a "Roadstar," is not the same as buying the optional Roadstar Package or Roadside Plus package.
You can be a Roadstar, without buying the packages.

Don't you find your customers are confused by the Roadstar labels, depicting distinctly different situation?
I'm in the, and I find it unnecessarily complex.
i'm pretty sure you need to have Roadstar status to buy the Roadstar Package.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts