BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cut-off Monday night and low-sided my bike. I remember hearing my helmet hitting the pavement and it has road rash on the back.

Is there somewhere I can have the helmet inspected? ICBC said they would replace the value of the helmet if it needed replacing and asked me to have it inspected.

·
Bikes rule
72 Posts
I think more or less if it hit the ground and has road rash on it its fucked. Dont matter how hard you hit it. I could be wrong but if the shell has any type of damage to it the structural integrity is gone..

·
Crotch Rocket Scientist
929 Posts
As far as I know, there is no means of inspecting it. The rule is if it bounces, it's garbage. Even if you drop it to the floor it's no good.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think more or less if it hit the ground and has road rash on it its fucked. Dont matter how hard you hit it. I could be wrong but if the shell has any type of damage to it the structural integrity is gone..
shit, in that case my helmet was gone long ago. I can't count the number of times it had fallen off a table or the back of my bike.

·
The Philosopher King
1,345 Posts
it takes more than a small drop c'mon guys...what type of helmet?? some comapnies actually have an inspection policy but it takes some time. I have also been told that some companies ask you to have the helmet x-rayed then send it to them...again pain in the ass just replace, from what it sounds like its going to be a replacement

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The helmet is an Icon Mainframe. When I was in Action, they said a drop with nothing in the helmet is fine but if there is something in there then it's hooped.

I just need to convince ICBC to replace it.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
:confused
Unless something's radically changed at ICBC, they'll usually take your bruised post-crash helmet without it being 'inspected' and they'll pay you a set -standard- amount of $300 (which, sadly, is maybe 50% of the cost of a decent helmet these days).

:cool
As for inspecting the helmet, yes there are places you can send your helmet to for inspection. I don't recall the names/addresses but if you do a search of these forums using keywords 'dropped helmet', you'll find LOTS more info on the topic ...from folks who have been in the same predicament and have done all your homework for ya. ;)

:( As much as I agree with the observation regarding the likelihood of little damage to your helmet, personally: you crashed and actually HIT something with your helmet ...so I'd suggest replacing it. Nevermind the scratches; dents are the tell-tale concern. Keep the old helmet as a spare to offer to people you don't like. :D

Here's an image to consider: If your helmet IS busted inside and you have a serious accident, your brain will splatter like jello in a leaky cup-holder. :eek. Not too attractive. :p

:drinkbeer

G

·
excellent imagery charles!

there would be tons of debate on if a simple drop would damage a helmet. even though it's a hard material (like fiberglass or a polycarbonate), it is still stressed by an impact. it would be even moreso if it was a sandwich construction, as you would be compacting the core. the inner liner will have damage due to the impact, but with nothing forcing compaction it will be negligible.

there are a few manufacturers that will inspect a helmet for damage if you send it back to them. if it was me, i'd insist icbc replace it regardless. it's your marble, and you've only got one of them. too risky to be relying on the helmet to protect against a second impact.

·
Takin it like a $10 Whore
366 Posts
Hey! Was your accident in Surrey? around 3pm? cause i saw this car clip the tire of a fellow Rider and send him spinning.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn't planning on using the helmet again. The adjuster seemed new since she couldn't answer a lot of the questions. She was even more unfamiliar with bikes.

I have to call her tomorrow anyways for a few other things. My ripped riding pants are covered either, unless they find the liability on the driver.

It also sucks that they won't cover a rental car until liability is established. So I'm forced to do a 2 hour transit to and from work. I could go ahead and rent the car and they will reimburse if the driver is found liable, otherwise I'm stuck until the bike is repaired or replaced.

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
Get lawyer. Go to your doctor and get a full check up and get every single little pain documented.

When I faceplanted in my helmet, ICBC forked out $950 to get it replaced. It's not up to you to assess the damage to your helmet or go though all those costs.

·
Thanks for that...
672 Posts
I got mine inspected at Shoei after I crashed. It was free, they even payed the return shipping. I just payed to ship it there. They send it back with a read out of what they inspected and if the damage is just cosmetic or ruined the helmet.

·
Obi-Wan Newbie
683 Posts
tell the adjuster that the helmet needs to be replaced. it is a protective piece of equipment and should not be taken to chance that it is fine. If they want it inspected it should be up to them to arrange such an inspection and pay for it. mine was replaced without question.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I'm surprised they gave you the option, when I crashed in January ICBC took my helmet. I crashed in it, they replace it, end of story, is what I was told. And they paid full replacement value, not capped at $300 or whatever.

Here's a tip though; turn it in without the visor! Free spare if you replace it with the same type!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I wasn't planning on using the helmet again. The adjuster seemed new since she couldn't answer a lot of the questions. She was even more unfamiliar with bikes.

I have to call her tomorrow anyways for a few other things. My ripped riding pants are covered either, unless they find the liability on the driver.

It also sucks that they won't cover a rental car until liability is established. So I'm forced to do a 2 hour transit to and from work. I could go ahead and rent the car and they will reimburse if the driver is found liable, otherwise I'm stuck until the bike is repaired or replaced.

as many said ICBC doesnt usually ask you to inspect a crashed helmet. Also from what you are saying is that the person you spoke to is new and doesnt know much about bikes(so thats probably why you got the Inspect the helmet please before we pay you). So your next step should be which will make your life easier is when you call ICBC again just dont ask for the same person and whoever you will end up talking to will be more experienced with bikes and things might flow abit smoother.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
If the accident turns out to be your fault, your helmet is covered by your collision policy, which limits ICBC's liability to a $300 payout for your damaged helmet.

If the accident turns out to be the other driver's fault, your helmet is covered under his liability policy, which (effectively) has no limits. They should be replacing your helmet with another of similar style, at no cost to you. If you need to get it inspected first, make sure you keep the shipping receipt for sending it back to the factory for an inspection, and receipts for any inspection costs. Those should all be covered as well.

·
Smooth Operator
642 Posts
If the accident turns out to be your fault, your helmet is covered by your collision policy, which limits ICBC's liability to a $300 payout for your damaged helmet.

If the accident turns out to be the other driver's fault, your helmet is covered under his liability policy, which (effectively) has no limits. They should be replacing your helmet with another of similar style, at no cost to you. If you need to get it inspected first, make sure you keep the shipping receipt for sending it back to the factory for an inspection, and receipts for any inspection costs. Those should all be covered as well.
spike, what dont you know! Your like a bottomless well of knowledge!:rockon

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm surprised they gave you the option, when I crashed in January ICBC took my helmet. I crashed in it, they replace it, end of story, is what I was told. And they paid full replacement value, not capped at $300 or whatever.

Here's a tip though; turn it in without the visor! Free spare if you replace it with the same type!

ICBC has changed alot, new system really crappy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts