BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I need to ship my bike one-way to L.A. Does anyone know the most affordable company? I have a friend moving to L.A at the same time. Do any companies offer discounts if there is more than one bike? As it is for a move, there is no rush on the date. I have never done this before so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I usually go to sumas to pick up stuff I buy off ebay and have seen a few motorcycle only transport trucks. I don't remember their name but they did nation wide. A quick google search there are quite a few that can.

http://www.motorcycleshippers.com/

Their quote is just over $1000 from BC to Ca, but under $600 from Wa to Ca. Are you moving there permanently? I don't know the procedure for motorcycles but importing a car into the US is more difficult than exporting from the US.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just remembered that there was a fellow named Mark with a CBR500 or 400 that he bought and imported from Japan. He originally looked at having it on a ship but found that he could just crate it up and have it sent in the cargo bay of the airliner he was flying. Not exactly check-in luggage and I don't remember what he said the shipping costs was but I surprised that it was about the same as on a ship.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I shipped a bike to Ottawa a couple of years ago - a lot further than LA, and it cost about $360. I crated it and sent it on Candain Freightways. It might be cheapest if you have the time etc to put it in a crate and take it to Lynden or Bellingham and send it on a commercial carrier like them. I found the guys who advertise they will ship your bike uncrated on their special pallets are pretty pricey. I belong to the AMA which gives a discount from the likes of Federal Compnaies (FunTransport.com or 877 518 7376) USA internal only so you'd have to take it across the border.

·
+1
2,281 Posts
http://www.uship.com/

If you have a long time before you plan to ship something there's a list a mile long for carriers and you can get bids or set a price and it costs nothing to setup. I shipped a '99 Boss Hoss purchased from Florida to the Sumas border for less than $500. I spoke with the same company earlier and they quoted me 50% more.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
What is the latest you would want your bike there?
There is always Craigslist, rideshare section.
Check it out.

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I need to ship my bike one-way to L.A. Does anyone know the most affordable company? I have a friend moving to L.A at the same time. Do any companies offer discounts if there is more than one bike? As it is for a move, there is no rush on the date. I have never done this before so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Since you're moving down there, why not take advantage of the fact that your bike is worth more here. Sell it here, then move, then buy the exact same bike down in LA for half the price.

And you save yourself the shipping costs and importation hassle trying to register a canadian bike in the US.

·
Addicted to two wheels
2,615 Posts
I just shipped a BMW from Montreal to Vancouver for $500 via Trans X. Get one of those metal crates from a dealer (Kawasaki ones work awesome) and 'suspend' the bike inside with tiedowns. Then cover all the sides with cardboard. Drain the fluids.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have read good things online about www.forwardair.com
They have their own containers you can use as well. If your bike fits in the small container the website quote is $305USD from Seattle to LA.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts