BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here me out. I created this account for the sole purpose of asking what the best thing to do in this situation. I don't own or know how to ride bikes. But, I've had stuff stolen and know the shitty feeling.

I think a neighbor of mine might be involved in stealing and selling stolen bikes. I've seen various bikes come and go through his garage (to the tune of 6) over the past year.

A few weeks ago I saw him riding around (i.e. commuting to and from work) on a bike without a license plate. After he parked, another neighbor (that lives further down the street) approached him and they started talking about bikes and snowmobiles. Other neighbor made joke about "you ride like you stole it" and my neighbor 'jokingly' responded "that's because I did." This bike was one I hadn't seen ever before. He was basically riding around on a unplated bike for a week. I don't know for a fact that he didn't have temporary insurance (i.e. a paper plate you'd tape on like you would on a car window). I know for sure that there was no visible license number on that bike. It also looked like one of those "liter bikes" that would absolutely let him get away from a police cruiser. It was yellow in color.

Last year around this time, I also saw him ride around on a unplated bike but didn't think much of it then. I haven't seen that bike for a few months now.

I'm not sure if this is potentially a bike theft operation he's running. I don't want to ruin the guys life over just ignorance of the laws on my part. And he also seems to be a bit emotionally volatile and possibly (again it could just be me thinking that men in their mid 40s don't have those kind of muscles) on steroids based on the limited interactions I've had with him. I do not want to be non-anonymously associated with this investigation (if there is one) for the safety of my family.

What is the best thing to do in this situation?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You need to give the cops enough information as to why you are suspicious or else they won't do anything anyways.

Make sure that your suspicions have merit. Evidence, reason, examples, experience, etc.

You will NEVER "ruin a guys life" by reporting him for something he isn't doing. It's not illegal to drive a legal bike. You don't go to jail for riding bikes you own (unless you triple the speed limit but that's a different story). If there is no problem there won't be a problem.

If there is a problem then HE ruined his own life by making those decisions. We all have to play by the same rules. There are consequences for not playing by the rules. Don't worry about it though. In Canada he'll be out doing the same thing again in a few hours. Catch and release :D

Be sure, and if you're sure please report it.

PS: if it was up to me any bike thief would be burned at the stake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I read your email carefully and your suspicions are based on:

1. the nuber of bikes you have seen recently

2., An off the cuff remark that you overheard in context 'i did steal it'

3.,Rriding with no plates

4. Large 'roid' nuscles for his age

All could have reasonable explanatios except for the large muscles. When he said he stole it maybe meant he got it for next to nothing. The plethora of bikes icould be from doing repairs on the side. Temporary plates for bikes go in your pocket so you would not know if he has one or not. Seems to me you have nothing solid for your suspicions and you should do nothing at this point.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,316 Posts
Follow your gut. If something feels off, submit an anonymous tip to the police. If everything is on the up & up, the worst scenario for him is that the police will ask to see registration papers for the bikes they can see, and that'll be the end of it. Might not even get that far: they could run his name through the system and see he has 6 bikes registered to his name, and that would be that.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Seems he easily could be buying, repairing, selling. And maybe riding without a plate so he can run instead of stop if caught speeding. Would be stupid to steal bikes and ride them in and out of your place plateless for all your neighbours to see, but heh thieves are stupid I guess.

Before I reported a neighbour of mine for anything I'd talk to them. Even casually, not accusatory. Heh, what's with all the unplated bikes? I'm old school that way and haven't bought into the 'call the cops' mentality. Unpopular way of thinking nowadays I know.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Before I reported a neighbour of mine for anything I'd talk to them. Even casually, not accusatory. Heh, what's with all the unplated bikes? I'm old school that way and haven't bought into the 'call the cops' mentality. Unpopular way of thinking nowadays I know.
It's not only unpopular, it's potentially dangerous.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Danger is my middle name. Not really, but it'd be cool if it was. Just call the cops, call the strata on your neighbour, call bylaw on that car that's been parked in the street. Growing up rural and living rural these are all issues I've never had, as well as not knowing or being scared of my neighbours. If I lived in a big city I'd probably feel differently or have been shot by a 'gangsta' by Now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A number of years ago I had my and my wife's bikes stolen. We got them back because a nosey neighbor noticed a couple punk kids with a couple bikes they knew they couldn't afford and called the cops on them.

At least call the cops. They can sort out whether or not they have enough to go make a house call. At least you did your part.

·
lover of twins
6,117 Posts
kel1 gets a +2. One point for the sensible advice and one point for correct grammar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts