BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Bike Day

For the past 6 years i've ridden and loved my Tuono. I put 53 000 mostly troublefree KM on it across 17 states. It was a blast to ride, sharp as a knife, and put a smile on my face every single time I rode it. But needs change, or perhaps evolve. I love riding fast windy roads, and getting out exploring, a lot of exploring (note previous 17 states statement). Where the Tuono didnt perfectly fit my needs were in its KM range (good, not great), and its comfort for long days in the saddle. The bike itself was comfy for me, but the high peg position takes it toll over a long day.

The criteria for a new bike was something hopefully as fun, invigorating, and high performance as the Tuono. But it needed to be more comfortable on long days, have better provisions for luggage, more window protection, and I really wanted something with a great TFT screen (I work in tech, and I am a nerd at heart).

This meant there were 3 candidates in my eyes.
1. Ducati Multistrada S
2. KTM Super Duke GT
3. BMW S1000XR

There are other bikes that fit my criteria, like the Kawasaki H2 SX SE, but i just couldnt get over it's aesthetics. I also dont need a bike that will comfortably and easily cruise at go to jail speeds.

I almost bought the Multistrada S last fall, but when I looked at the dash (non TFT), the fit and finish of the cock pit/dash area, and the incredibly high price of replacement parts (like a radiator), I decided to walk away.

I know two people with KTM Super Duke GT, and they both love them. One is a 2017 and the other a 2nd gen 2019. The 2019 was definitely a contender.

The 3rd bike was the BMW S1000XR. I almost bought a 1st gen in 2017, but passed due to the short gearing, and the engine vibration buzz. The 2020 was announced last fall, and it appeared to check every box for me.

I was able to sit on the bike at the Bike Show at the end of January, and although it felt a bit wide in the tank, it was definitely a contender and likely the leader. The Press Launch for the BMW was in February, and initial reaction seemed as though they nailed this version of the bike. Everything that I wanted to hear about the changes was said, and this drove this bike very much in to the leading choice for me.

I hummed and hawed, and then in late February I went to HighRoad and got a quote on the bike as I would want it optioned. I then went in a week later and put down my deposit.

They had two bikes scheduled for delivery on April 23rd (Global launch was April 25th). Neither of these bikes were exactly as i wanted, but they did have one coming that had one option i did not intend to order (LED driving lights), and missing one option that i did want (the forged M wheels). If I wanted a bike to my build, it would likely mean and additional 6-8 weeks. So my deposit was put against this bike.

Then this thing called Covid happened....

Which meant that the warehouse back east wasnt shipping bikes.....

and the BMW warehouse back east was full, which meant that all bikes that were built and ready to be shipped would sit at the dock until the warehouse cleared....

Eventually things started to clear, restrictions were lifted, and my bike finally shipped/arrived. It was about a month late, and I had missed my planned vacation trip, but the border was closed anyway. So it's not like i was going anywhere.

Two weeks ago, the Tuono was dropped off, and the S1000XR was picked up (the only 1 they have received so far). I had done a few city rides to get a few KM on it, and this past Friday I did a 'proper' break in ride out to Hope, Princeton, Merritt, Spences Bridge, and back loop. It ticked 1000km about 10 km from home, and it goes in tomorrow for it's first service.

The bike is a blast, and it definitely checks all the boxes for me. Its comfortable, fun, handles amazing, and the engine is a blast. The first service will move the redline up from 9000 to 11000, and that will be very welcome. I love the TFT dash along with the BMW wonder wheel, they just work so well together. The gear box isnt quite as seamless as my Tuono, but its not far off, and i'm sure it will get even beter over time. The quick shifter and auto blipper are the sort of thing that you dont think about until you have them, and then you cant imagine life without them. The same goes for factory cruise control. I had a throttle lock on my Tuono which worked very very well. But having the ECU control speed perfectly, and being able to +/- wit the push of a button is just so much better. Having factory integrated locking GPS, and factory heated grips means no wiring to add, and the cockpit stays tidy. The factory screen is tall enough to block most wind, but a push of the lever and it blocks just that much more. Semi-active suspension has been great as well. It's nice being able to soften it up for the highway or bumpy road, and press a button to firm it up for the 'spirited' sections. I havent ridden at night yet, but its very clear that the LED lights on it are vastly better than the crappy Tuono headlight. The LED driving lights will make it that much better when they are used. I do also have the Dynamic cornering headlights, and will have to do a late night run up one of the local mountains to try them out. The seat felt strange at first as it wraps around you a bit, but the more I ride it, the more i like it. Think of it like nice bolsters on a set of Recaros. The brakes are OEM Branded Hayes and seem to be up to the task, but these will take a proper highway 20 or Baker rip to really get a sense of how they are once they get hot.

I am still waiting for my luggage to arrive (with removable liners), and there will definitely be some longer rides in the near future once they arrive.

The only farkle so far is the SW Motech EVO tank ring for my tank bags, and I will be adding Power for my heated gear as well as my Radar Detector. Beyond that, the bike will remain almost entirely stock.

I know there are other things i'm forgetting, but that should cover most of the basics.

and here's a pic from Friday (screen in the high position)

·
track hack
2,008 Posts
Congrats on the new bike - I've read about all the original Gen issues and would have dismissed this an an option so I'm glad to hear that they've addressed them with the update.
Based on what you said this seems like the most logical choice for sure, and I like the color scheme too - congrats again!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congratulations Scott.
Looks so comfy compared to the Ape. I'm sure you'll manage to eat twice the miles on it.

Gotta appreciate manufacturers are tucking the cats down low resulting in a small exhaust can, 1290 Superduke is similar.

·
Registered Abuser
22 Posts
Congrats from a fellow NB'er. :cool:(y)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
yippee! great new ride Scott. let the fun begin...

·
lover of twins
6,080 Posts
Nice ride! Hmm, now I wonder if the rest of the "gang" will start changing over their bikes as well. Doser????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts