BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the last time I was on here there have been several unannounced new bike days. The VFR1200 and CB350/4 have long been sold. An ‘02 R1 was purchased, tweaked and sold. Then an ‘03 Blackbird and an ‘05 RSV1000 Factory. A ‘19 WR250R has been in the garage for 2 yrs now. It has been made into a mini Tenere and will most likely remain for the foreseeable future as a tiny offroad explorer.

The latest subject in the garage is a firecracker red, ‘04 ZRX1200. Its tough to say with a straight face, but this one looks like a keeper. I started out looking for a green one, like most people do. Those are pretty skinny on the ground but I found two red ones. Bought the second one I looked at. Stock as a rock with 40,000 km on it. It was an easy decision ….. it reminds me of the GPz and KZ bikes of the early eighties, the ones I wanted with a passion when I was a lad just getting out of high school. The ones I used to see modded to the nines in Cycle World, strafing the corners of Mulholland Rd and parked up at the Rock Store. I managed to put about 1500 km on it before the season ended for me. I absolutely love the looks …. big, brawny and red. It’s the only bike I’ve ever had that both motorcycle and non-motorcycle people have told “that looks great”.

Plans are in motion but are along the same lines of every bike. Ohlins piggybacks are enroute. Ohlins 43mm retro forks are soon to be shipped. A fully Muzzy exhaust was found and cleaned up. The seller also had one of Ted’s exhaust brackets and a set of Metisse rear sets that were snagged at a fair price. Losing the heavy stock pipe (31lbs!) and heavy passenger and rider pegs will be a win.

Ivan’s Performance will be providing the jetting. I decided to stay with the stock air filter and airbox. Despite the cool level afforded by pods, that may only happen in the future. At this point, both Ivan and others recommend staying away pods. Higher HP on the dyno, less on the road. And a bit of a hassle to set up. A Factory Pro shift kit is here to hopefully clear up that notchy shifting. A 4 degree ignition advancer and alternator chain tensioner will also be squeezed behind freshly refinished side covers. Wheels and swingarm have been removed and are being refinished.

Galfer braided lines lines are already in place for the clutch and brakes, new EBC HH pads have yet to go on. Brake and clutch master cylinders are going to be rebuilt and the front calipers will get the same treatment. Heated grips and a dual USB charger voltmeter are ready to go on. OEM levers are being replaced with the best that eBay and Guangdong can supply.

Once again, I find myself in the position of being $6000 away from a really nice $5000 bike. The photo has the mini-Tenere in it and the ZRX in a partially disassembled state. Much like the R1, the Blackbird and RSV Factory, this was picked up at a good price. If I do decide to sell, the pricey bits (Ohlins) are easy to remove and sell separately. But at this point, she’s a keeper!

Attachments

Reactions: oldgixxer

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, Chia had one that was gorgeous.

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool - I would have bought a red one, but it was green or blue when I bought mine new in 02.
Like you, the red ones reminded me of the early GPzs. (I settled for blue)
Had mine for 3 years ... no mods. :(
The ZRXOA is a great forum.
I’m surprised the ZRXOA forum is so active, a really nice change from Facebook groups.

I think your aprilia ended up in kelowna. Lol.
Which one? The Tuono? The RSV went back to Edmonton. For the Tuono’s, again, which one? The black/grey one I sold to Hilton or the orange/white one?

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reactions: oldgixxer
1 - 5 of 5 Posts