BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
wow! nice little winter project. you now must have the finest ZRX for many miles around!

·
Original Pirate Material
1,079 Posts
My new-to-me ZRX has been undergoing maintenance for the past several months. A long time ago in a universe far away, I used to maintain helicopters so I’m well acquainted with the “lefty loosey/righty tighty” principle.

I sourced a full Muzzy exhaust. It was in rough shape but some elbow grease has it looking pretty fine. That required the carbs to be re-jetted. So I may as well clean them at the same time. I had a spare set of plugs so I thought I’d toss those in. #2 and #3 plugs were covered in oil due to a failed seal. So off comes the valve cover to replace them. I may as well due the valves while I’m at it. And it would be silly to not remove the PAIR reed valves and block those off since it’s right there. I bought a Morgan Carbtune to balance those fresh carbs since it’s required after this much work.

Add on refinishing the wheels, swing arm, engine covers, brake discs and grab handles, rebuilding the brake calipers and master cylinders, same with the hydraulic clutch, Galfer braided brake and clutch lines, new brake pads, 4 deg ignition advancer, Ohlins shocks and forks, secondary fuse box, voltmeter and dual USB chargers, RAM mount and power for a radar detector, fresh coolant, heated grips, Metisse rearsets, new throttle cables, SS hex bolts for the engine and carbs, Factory Pro shift kit, new front and rear sprockets changing the gearing from 17/42 to 17/46 for better roll-on, bar end mirrors and 90 deg valve stems on the rims.

A helluva list but puttering in the garage is my happy place, even when things don’t go smoothly. Now I’m just waiting for a new D.I.D. chain before I put on the left side cover and bleed the clutch.

When I made my initial start attempt I was a bit nervous. After mucking about with intake, exhaust, carburetion and valve timing ……. what could go wrong? She fired right up with zero drama.
a
As she sits today ……
Beautiful bike, thanks for sharing. I must say, the DN-01 poster in the background is unique...

·
lover of twins
6,183 Posts
Beautiful bike, thanks for sharing. I must say, the DN-01 poster in the background is unique...
It's what he secretly lusts after as its performance capabilities are more than he can handle.

Reactions: Sikorsky

·
lover of twins
6,183 Posts
Out of curiosity, what do you ride and how much of that bike's potential do you feel you're extracting under ideal conditions?
I’ve done a few rides with Sikorsky and we know each other well enough that he knows I’m just yanking his chain.

To answer your question tho an RC51 and 1100XX and I would guess I’m probably getting 60% out of each? There’s a few on here that have ridden with me enough that can confirm if I’m way off or in the ball park on that.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I actually did like the DN-01 quite a bit.

We all have our dark sides and forbidden desires.

·
track hack
2,036 Posts
I’ve done a few rides with Sikorsky and we know each other well enough that he knows I’m just yanking his chain.

To answer your question tho an RC51 and 1100XX and I would guess I’m probably getting 60% out of each? There’s a few on here that have ridden with me enough that can confirm if I’m way off or in the ball park on that.
I mean, 57-58% is believable but 60%???

Man you Honda fanboys really like to embellish huh?

;)

·
lover of twins
6,183 Posts
hahahaha

I've always tended to be conservative in what I think about my riding abilities. I've had a couple people accuse me of being a sandbagger when I was riding more. As much as I love the RC, it is a relatively low performing sport bike, but it has a certain quality that can't be denied. A lot of my guess about how much I get out of the bike is also reflected in the fact that I am primarily a street rider and that I don't want to destroy me or my bike. I've been lucky in coming out on the winning end of a get-off on the Blackbird where I was enthusiastically chasing another forum member and was too focused on closing a gap and not paying attention to the road conditions. The signs were there that I should have been holding back but I didn't see them. As it was I escaped with nothing more than a bruised ego when there was potential for being decapitated by flying through a barbed wire fence. Luckily I ejected and went over the fence instead of through it. My biggest regret was not having the gopro running as it would have been some epic footage.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I've been lucky in coming out on the winning end of a get-off on the Blackbird where I was enthusiastically chasing another forum member and was too focused on closing a gap and not paying attention to the road conditions. The signs were there that I should have been holding back but I didn't see them. As it was I escaped with nothing more than a bruised ego when there was potential for being decapitated by flying through a barbed wire fence. Luckily I ejected and went over the fence instead of through it. My biggest regret was not having the gopro running as it would have been some epic footage.
As the person who almost crashed in front of you, went wide to the outside of the oncoming lane, and then watched in his mirror as you and your bike were flying through the air, I certainly did not expect you to be walking away from that one.

·
lover of twins
6,183 Posts
It was my training as a ninja that made the difference.

Plus I knew I still had way too much arguing to do with people I've never met on the internet so I wasn't quite ready to give up.

Reactions: Sikorsky

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
the scene:

Sky Tree Cloud Natural landscape Road surface

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
there's a couple pretty fuckin fun videos out there of guys on the Ruckus havin it on, on the Dragon, etc.

for instance:

and:

if I lived back there, i could easily see owning a Ruckus, just to do stupid stuff, as id I was twenty-something again...

Reactions: oldgixxer

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
I’ve loved the RC series of WSB homologation street bikes from Honda, all from the racing passion of Mr. Honda directly. The RC51 is epic legend in my mind. Completely changing programs to V twin from V4 to prove WSB rules favoured Ducati, only to quit WSB after winning outright WSB on the twin, and of course winning 1st 2 yrs of WSB with RC30. The RC51 will follow the same level of collectibility as the RC30 and RC45 values, perhaps a bit less only because production numbers are quite a bit more than the V4 superbikes.

·
lover of twins
6,183 Posts
Unfortunately for the RC51 there are simply way too many of them out there for them to truly be a collectible, with maybe the exception of early 2000 models and the 2004 Hayden model. But they are at the point where a really clean example that has some nice add-ons and is unmolested in terms of body panels - full undertail fender and no frame slider holes cut in the fairings - can fetch close to $10K from the right buyer. Most nice examples are still only getting around $6-7K tho.

Reactions: Steve G.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Unfortunately for the RC51 there are simply way too many of them out there for them to truly be a collectible, with maybe the exception of early 2000 models and the 2004 Hayden model. But they are at the point where a really clean example that has some nice add-ons and is unmolested in terms of body panels - full undertail fender and no frame slider holes cut in the fairings - can fetch close to $10K from the right buyer. Most nice examples are still only getting around $6-7K tho.
Agreed. Unmolested Hayden’s, because of Nicky’s unfortunate early ‘departure’, and the super rare US issue only Castro Colin Edwards replica are the ones to go for. Later grey colour model sp2 are better bikes all round, but never will be sought after by collectors.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts