BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I should be receiving my new chain and rear sprocket for the track bike soon, duing my research I found this classic thread that come complete with pictures. http://bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9577&highlight=chain+install
So how many days did it finally take?

So far i'm thinking the chain should be riveted, and that I should have a chain breaker tool. Are these available at Canadian Tire?:laughing
any tips? as I've never actually replaced a chain before..

This is for my track bike, and I don't really think it should be necessary to trailer my bike over to the shop to get a chain installed, i'd rather save myself that kind of extra work. I do most of my own bike work, so this should be fairly routine, eh? Of course I saw some new prices at Mspeed, I could get my forks fluid changed, and get my suspension setup, hmm...

Bernie thanks for this tip (found in another thread). It seems pretty brilliant. I will have to try it..
Here's a quick Motocross trick for you..... Yes, it's to the left. Now, Put the chain back on and secure the nut with a rachet or breaker bar to the frame or peg........Now turn the back wheel by hand. Big sprocket in the back will over power the one in the front and spin off the nut.

W

·
0 Posts
Go to your nearest bike shop and ask them if you can borrow or rent their chain tool. If they say no, then ask them to order you one. I bought one that not only does the 520 chain but will also do cam chains as well for like 129 bucks

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
Look online, you can get a good chain tool for around 90 bucks US.
You really don't need one though, if you're careful you can half ass it. But if you have any doubts, just put the new sprockets on yourself and get a shop to put your new chain on. I'm sure they will only charge you a few bucks as it's a 5-10min job max.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ask them if you can borrow or rent their chain tool
That's definately an option. Especially if they run around $100.00+

get a shop to put your new chain on
I want to save myself the trouble of getting the trailer, etc.
Half assing it would be using a BFH, or visecrips eh?

·
The Wizard
2,743 Posts
Here's what I did, likely wrong, but it held up to a year of racing.

Figure out length of chain needed (I only needed to cut off about 10 links)

Take angle grinder and grind rivet smooth with outer plate (plate gets chucked anyways)

Once smooth with outer plate, use a box end wrench under the rivet and tap the rivet out using a punch. Don't lose the O rings, you'll need those.

Put chain on, feeding it through the front sprocket, put the 2 open ends touching on the rear sprocket.

Use the universal link that comes with the chain. Put in clip (going the right way)

Take some fine safety wire and wire the link closed (Simon in teck will look for this) Use some silicone over that and it should work.

4 races and 2 trackdays and a few BB and no problems, but this is probably a bad way of doing it.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm pretty sure I want to rivet it. I'd feel better for sure. The only question is how to do it without a tool. But I guess there are a few options there.

Exactly how would I go about safety wiring a chain? something like this?

·
back on the street
1,832 Posts
yup, something like that... I wrap it 3 times then cover it in clear silicone...works ok for me....

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Chain tools are garbage , drop by the shop and I'll give you the tool you need for free and it installs the link in about 30 seconds.

S

·
0 Posts
5thgear said:
Chain tools are garbage , drop by the shop and I'll give you the tool you need for free and it installs the link in about 30 seconds.

rusted vice grips and old used 6 mm nuts don't count.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
drop by the shop and I'll give you the tool
thanks Bill, I might just do that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts