BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...
i'm planning on getting a helmet prior to attending bike course this season... as u can see.. i'm a newbie, but i figured i could use the helmet anyways at my workplace too (go-kart track) :D....
i dont plan on dishing out many $$ for a top-o-da-line shoei or arai so i was thinkin of an HJC....CL-12 SIII to be exact....
(even though bl1tz thinks its uglay, n wants me to go for a suomy!)

dunno what to do... :confused
just wanted to hear some opinions n suggestions...
advice greatly appreciated....

heres a pic of the HJC i was thinking about.... only $US 150 @ helmetharbor (approx. $250 Cdn)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
mospeed21 said:
dunno what to do... :confused
just wanted to hear some opinions n suggestions...
advice greatly appreciated....

heres a pic of the HJC i was thinking about.... only $US 150 @ helmetharbor (approx. $250 Cdn)
Have you tried it on before ? Different helmet for different head shape, period.
1) Make sure they were snug fit and feel comfortable, put it on and wear it for roughly 10+ minutes and make sure it doesn't have any pressure point / causing pain. Try one size up or one size down to see the difference, may fit you better.

2) Pretend you're doing shoulder check while riding to see if the helmet were too heavy for you.

3) Close the visor and look from the top of the helmet to see if the seal between the visor and helmet has any gap, if so, your face may get wet when riding in rain.

4) Check if liner can be remove completely for washing - new helmet usual does, older style one may not be able to.

5) Check for accessories for the helmet:

5a) Tinted visor - were they available for purchase easily ? were they costly ? were they easy to change or need a screw driver ?

5b) breath protecter (?)- is it available for that particular helmet ? will the visor be easily fog up when weather is cold ?

5c) neck wind protector (?) - is it available

5d) parts for helmet - if there were any part of the helmet were able to snap off (for changing visor), were those parts available easy ? and costly ?

Style and color comes second. I guess other people can suggest which one has less wind noise.

I got a Nolan Classic Silver for daily to-and-from work riding and a OGK FF3 black/Silver/gunmetal for weekend ride.

ps. I found out 5a, 5b and 5c after I purchased my Nolan and 5d after I purchased for my OGK... although they were minor when selecting the helmet, but it helps if you ride in different weather and/or ride at higher speed. Couple months after I purchase Nolan, the distributor (Tucker) no longer sell Nolan and clear out all the parts, end up I need to mail order my tinted visor from States, after shipping + tax + duty all those shit the thing cost me $100+ ! Also as for 5d heard that people got those parts flew away when doing at higher speed and have a hard time re-ordering them from their local dealer. Shoei and Arai won't have those problem, but the helmet itself will cost you a small fortune.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for all the plethora of tips xenz!....
i'll keep everything in mind when i go to RMS to try it on....
as for the accessories for that particular HJC, i'm not too worried cuz its quite a common model n i believe they have plenty of visors n other accessories available for it...

guess i only have to worry about fit n comfort level ... which is probably the most important thing.
i was wondering if anyone owns, or has any opnions about the HJC's in particular the CL-12 line... i know they've been quite the popular entry level lid for some time now...

btw.. your ogk looks damn nice! :cool
probably goes great with the leathers. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
I got an Xspeed from BK, it's a colored hgelmet for CAD $199 really good, SNELL 2001 take a look, well worth the money.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
Farhad..

The only SNELL rating for 2001 is for helmets rated for horseback riding.

The latest Motorcycle Snell approval is M2000 (2000)

Here is a list of all M2000 certified Motorcycle Helmets (M2000) - This take from Snell's website: http://www.smf.org

Jim.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Mospeed21, the richmond go-kart track? I did Action with an asian girl who said she was manager of the place (i think she said manager) and also one of the mechanics. I can't remember their names.....Lucinda? I don't know.
Anyways, make sure to check out Burnaby Kawasaki before you make your final purchase. They will usually (always, in my experience) be able to beat RMC's prices (unless you know someone in there). Mention this site to Trevor, and he might take off even more,' cause he knows we love him here.
 

·
moving pylon
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
get a SUOMY GUNWIND race replica !!
there are so many to choose from......

you should wear a bicycle helmet since you want to ride a 250:D :D :D :D :D :D :itchyscra :evilgrin :evilgrin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
Big Jim said:
Farhad..

The only SNELL rating for 2001 is for helmets rated for horseback riding.

The latest Motorcycle Snell approval is M2000 (2000)

Here is a list of all M2000 certified Motorcycle Helmets (M2000) - This take from Snell's website: http://www.smf.org

Jim.


Sorry meant made in 2001
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Human said:



:eek you did what ? with who ? :laughing :laughing

thats freagin hilarious human! :laughing

sorry for the delayed reply... havent been on the comp in awhile
but yea, Bluestone, i work at TBC indoor racing. n yes, locinda worked there too for quite awhile. she trained me when i was hired but she left the company shortly after. that was last summer. i didnt know she was into bikes too!

n guys, i'll remember to ask Lo about the "Action" u two did next time i see her! :roflmao

j/k :p



b1ltz: no man, i think the suomy's are a lil on the flashy n too americanized look!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
bl1tz said:
get a SUOMY GUNWIND race replica !!
there are so many to choose from......

you should wear a bicycle helmet since you want to ride a 250:D :D :D :D :itchyscra :evilgrin :evilgrin
good one bl1tz, maybe i should attach a visor in the front n carve more front n rear vents into them!! haha
:laughing

btw, that locinda is kinna cute man! :D but sorry i have no pix :(
 

·
moving pylon
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
mospeed21 said:



b1ltz: no man, i think the suomy's are a lil on the flashy n too americanized look!
get a suomy man !!
just don't get the bostrom LS cause that's the americanized one right?
there's still a ton of others to choose from.
i need to get a suomy this season too
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,762 Posts
dude make sure you wear a helmet for like 10-15 minutes.
until the padding compresses you might get incredible headaches after wearing the helmet. Everyone told me that the helmet should fit snugly. Both large and medium fitted me fairly well so i went with the snugger medium which i regretted for a few weeks. it's ok now though :)

Another thing is, do you wear glasses? If you have to take your helmet off and on, and you do wear glasses consider one of these helmets where the whole front swings up, not just the shield. Mine doesn't and it's damn invconvinient sometimes. Take off the glasses, put on the helmet, put on the glasses...


anyway hope this helped.

-d.


oh yeah i got the extra cheapie Xpeed from Burnaby Kawasaki for 130 bucks :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
The first time tried a Suomy was down at Seattle bike show, tried the XL and when I close the visor I got a feeling that it was almost touching my nose, but I like their style though, end up reading more post on SBN and people suggest trying out OGK; they mention Suomy is more like a Shoei head and OGK will be most likely fit an Arai head.
 

·
moving pylon
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
AlphaQ said:
dude make sure you wear a helmet for like 10-15 minutes.
until the padding compresses you might get incredible headaches after wearing the helmet. Everyone told me that the helmet should fit snugly. Both large and medium fitted me fairly well so i went with the snugger medium which i regretted for a few weeks. it's ok now though :)

Another thing is, do you wear glasses? If you have to take your helmet off and on, and you do wear glasses consider one of these helmets where the whole front swings up, not just the shield. Mine doesn't and it's damn invconvinient sometimes. Take off the glasses, put on the helmet, put on the glasses...


anyway hope this helped.

-d.


oh yeah i got the extra cheapie Xpeed from Burnaby Kawasaki for 130 bucks :)

get contact lenses dude !!
less hassle
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top