BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi;

My name's Adam. I ride an 05 R6 that I upgraded to from a '90 EX500 after 2.5 seasons of riding. Yes, i know it's the poser bike of choice, :) but I'm no poser and it's dead sexy. :) I started motorcycling to reduce the costs of commuting, but i got hooked and had to get something with a little more balls. So much for saving money now. I think my R6 eats way more gas than my car. I've put 8K on the R6 since i bought it back in mid-july last year. I put her away the first week of October because it gets a little to cold around here after that.

Anyways, I'll be moving to Vancouver this summer due to work and have a few questions regarding biking out there. I'm hoping somebody here can help.

1) what am I looking at to pay for insurance? I'm 30 years old, full G licsence, M2 (level 2 learners) and this is my will be my 4th season on a bike. i have a clean record. no tickets, no accidents, nada. I've had my G for 13 years now. I'll also have a car I can bundle with insurance if it helps to save money. It does over here with StateFarm. Currently, I'm paying $670 per year for full coverage with $1 mil liablity for my R6. From what I could find doing i search on here, I don't think I'll be so lucky. That's why I'm asking

2) Would it be a smart idea to wright my final M test before I come out there to avoid any sort of hassles that may occur transferring from our graduated liscence system to yours?

Are the any other tips or advice you can give me? I'll be working in Burnaby and hope to find a place in Kitsilano to live.

thanks!

Adam

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
atomic said:
Currently, I'm paying $670 per year for full coverage with $1 mil liablity for my R6. From what I could find doing i search on here, I don't think I'll be so lucky. That's why I'm asking
:flip Welcome to the site :flip

Expect to pay more. . .depending on declared value. I only carry basic $2 mil liability and its around $1000/yr with a %10 dicount.

Oh an I used to live in Orleans & Ottawa, no bikes back when I lived there :laughing

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
1. Very important thing to bring from Ontario is a letter from your insurance company that states that you do not have any claims for x amount of years.
Insurance rates in BC are discounted according to claim free driving years regardless of what you have or are driving.
For example, if you have no claims for 14 years, even if you have had your Motorcycle endorsment for only 1 year, you will get the maximum of 43% discount off the base rate.

2. Get your full motorcycle licence in Ontario and when you come here, you can just swap it for a BC one.

3. Theft insurance is expensive because bikes gets stolen almost on a daily basis in BC

4. Traffic violations in BC do not affect insurance rates.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we have no idea what G, M and all that stuff means o_O
I'd say, get your full motorcycle license so you can transfer it over. We have different stages here...
yeah, basic insurance with 1 mill will cost about 900/year...and if you've had a clean driving record..(bring proof)...you can get upwards of 43% off of that.
you can't bundle insurane with your car here. And you can ONLY go through an autoplan dealer that is working with ICBC for basic insurance. If you want full coverage, look to pay up to about $3000 base...(before discount)

If you're working in Burnaby...why not live in burnaby? Kits is a nice place though...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies so far.

my Brother just came back from living in Vancouver for 3 years. He says Burnaby isn't so cool. :) I liked Kits when I visited Van last summer. How long of a cummute would that be?

as for the letter's. G is a full car liscence. I've had that for 13 years since there was no graduating liscencing way back then. M is your Full motorcycle liscence. we have M1, M2 and M. I think I'll get my M before i come out.

Do 'not at fault' claims hurt my rates out there? They don't here. About 3 years ago I was in a fender bender in my car but was determined not at fault and didn't have to pay anything. My rates weren't affected. 1 year or so before that, my car was stolen twice within a 6 month period, and again, my rates weren't affected here. However, I know things work quite differently with insurance out there. I'm pretty sure my insurance agent can give me something to prove my record.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so you go from M1->M2->M? i say get your M then.

if it's not your fault, it's the other person's insurance that pays for your vehicle...so no, your rates won't go up..(and it wouldn't matter since you're not here long right?)
Stolen vehicles..not entirely sure...I think your rates will go up though if they give you market value.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
BC = Bring Cash

Good luck, Insurance sucks here.

·
Posing with conviction
5,396 Posts
As usual Doug gets to the bottom of it.

I would pay special heed to Shovelhead's recommendation on getting the letter from your current insurer about a claims free record. I moved to BC 4 years ago. That letter made things almost painless for me when I transferred my licence and vehicle registration/insurance.

Given that you are moving from out east you will probably want to ride year round until you get lulled into the lotusland headspace then you will most likely put your bike in irons for the rainy season.

It's great out here especially for riders. Be prepared to be blown away by the roads and the vast array of scenery.

Good luck in your transition.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh yeah, change your tires before you get here. those square things are no good in the twisties.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
And be sure to get good life/disability insurnance if you ever have to ride within the city limits of Vancouver.

You will be amazed at what level the average (esp. immigrant) driver here operates at.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
REVELATIONS said:
And be sure to get good life/disability insurnance if you ever have to ride within the city limits of Vancouver.

You will be amazed at what level the average (esp. immigrant) driver here operates at.
yeah, beware of asian drivers. The stereotype that goes around here is this...
old female asian driver..shittiest drivers on teh road...no skills
old male asian driver..blind as a bat, will hit you
young female asian driver...they drive? ;)
young male asian driver...asian = rich = parents buy them expensive fast car = they fly down the roads at uncontrollable speeds.

of course, there's always some truth in stereotypes but not all people are like that.

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
The commute from Kits to Burnaby depends on the location in Burnaby, it's a big area and extends from the north "English Bay/Indian Arm" area all the way south to the Fraser River. Your drive could range from 30-40 min. and upwards, there's no fast way (highway) to take you from Kits to Burnaby.

Expect to pay lots for accomodation in Kits, it's very yuppy/trendy and the rental prices reflect that.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that's some pretty discouraging news Doug, but thanks for the links. I'll check them out. As for new tires, I just put a fresh new set of dunlop qualifiers on them last week and started scrubbing them in today. I'm hoping they'll do me some more good in the twisties than the OEM's did. If not, I'll get some pilot powers.

I'm not really very scared to drive in Vancouver. I drove there when I visited last summer. I went right down robson and all over dowtown. I don't, know... I've seen worse. I've driven in Toronto and New york as well. Though not on my bike. I'd have to say in a town full of government workers, quebecer's and old poeple, I've had my share of encounters with stupid drivers while on my bike. I drive pretty cautiously in the city. I mean it's not like I'm new to the road and traffic jams. :) I know what to look for. I have been driving for 13 years with a clean record. *knock*knock*. Actually, now that I think of it.. I've never ridden a bike on a street with street car tracks in it. that could be interesting. There were lots of those in Vancouver if I recall correctly.

that commute sounds rather longish. About what I'm doing now. In the summer, I like it, because I get to ride my bike. But in the winter, It's not so great. Where is a better place to look where the rent is reasonable and it's not a run down or skid filled area?

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
What part of Burnaby will you be working in? Then I can give you the heads up about places to look to rent.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that system is nuts..

Disability Discount
If you are 16 or older, own or lease a vehicle, and are "a person with disabilities," you may qualify for a 25% discount on your Basic Autoplan

A person with disabilities is someone who:

*has been certified by a medical practitioner to be suffering from permanent sight impairment and is not eligible to hold a driver's licence under the Motor Vehicle Act.

no wonder you told me to watch out for driving over there. LOL....

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh.. I"ll be working for Telus. I'm not sure of the address though. I checked there sight and there's 2 addresses. 4535 Canada Way and 3500 Gilmore Way. One of those 2 I guess.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Highlights from ICBC:

ICBC said:
New BC Residents:
Note: If you wish to apply for a full-privilege BC driver's licence (Class 5, 6, 1, 2, 3 or 4), you need to prove you have held a licence for at least 24 months. Otherwise, you will be placed in BC's Graduated Licensing Program. If you hold only an out-of-province learner's licence, you are eligible to apply for a Class 7 or 8 GLP learner's licence. See Getting licensed for more information about GLP.
And:

ICBC said:
Canadian, American, Austrian, German, Swiss, Japanese or South Korean driver's licence?

You will be issued a new equivalent class B.C. driver's licence. In most cases, you will not need to take a road test if you hold:

* a Canadian or American passenger car or motorcycle operator's licence, or
* a Canadian licence equivalent to a B.C. Class 1, 2, 3 or 4 (commercial) licence

and your licence is valid or expired less than 3 years ago.
So if your license is at least two years old, you're golden. Since you're at the last stage on your Motorcycle license, it sounds like they'll put you in the last stage of the BC Motorcycle license too, but you may want to call them and ask.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
true spike, but if he gets his M in ontario, then moves out here right away, he will end up doing class 6 glp all over again here. so there is no point in him getting his M there.

it would be great if he could enter bc's system at his glp level from ontario.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
atomic said:
oh.. I"ll be working for Telus. I'm not sure of the address though. I checked there sight and there's 2 addresses. 4535 Canada Way and 3500 Gilmore Way. One of those 2 I guess.
either place is about 2 km from my house.

check your pm.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts