BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody registered their dirt bike under the new rules yet?
And if so what is the process like?
I looked on Bcorma and BCDS but didn't see anybody that had done it yet.
Do I really get a plate for my bike?

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Has anybody registered their dirt bike under the new rules yet?
And if so what is the process like?
I looked on Bcorma and BCDS but didn't see anybody that had done it yet.
Do I really get a plate for my bike?
There seems to he lots of discussion on DSBC regarding this.

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
You need to register it at ICBC and pay tax on it if it was purchased in the last few years (don't recall the total details but I could find the link)... and you
do get a plate that must be displayed.

Also, as previous, you are required to have 3rd party liability insurance, and also ICBC insurance in instances if you must cross a "roadway".

It's a rather unfortunate chain of events the way it has ended up.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
I know of a few that have...some says no problems...but most say it is a money grab. There is no training for the agents. So they do not know what to do or how to do it.

If you have a plated dirt bike do not worry. If you have a MX bike then you need to have a way to prove you paid tax when you bought it. I have heard even with a receipt an agent somehow decided the value was too low then made the owner pay $$$$ more. That is being discussed with ICBC as is the licence plate issue. I have heard that they are trying to use a sticker over a plate and no ruling has been decided yet. Right now the plate is the same size as we have on our street bikes. Try mounting a plate on a small dirt bike or a trials bike.

Then there are other issues like the fact that a 16 year old can not be insured, so families are being put in a position that they may not be able to have a family day with their kids. Never mind the extra expense put on the families.

Then the government says they want a plate on the dirt bikes so they can identify riders that wont stop...but that argument is stupid cause a dirt bike gets dirty and even with a plate the odds are slim that any officer would be able see the numbers.

It is a law that was forced upon the motorcycle industry but with very little thought other than grabbing money.

In the end if you are not riding down a FSR or public road this is not something to worry about IMO.

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
Then there are other issues like the fact that a 16 year old can not be insured, so families are being put in a position that they may not be able to have a family day with their kids. Never mind the extra expense put on the families
Every vehicle insurance situation I've seen, it's the vehicle that's insured not the operator.

Someone 16 or under may not be allowed to obtain the insurance but if the vehicle is insured by a parent or guardian and operated by the minor I don't see how this could be an issue unless the law says the insurer and operator must be the same person

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
Every vehicle insurance situation I've seen, it's the vehicle that's insured not the operator.

Someone 16 or under may not be allowed to obtain the insurance but if the vehicle is insured by a parent or guardian and operated by the minor I don't see how this could be an issue unless the law says the insurer and operator must be the same person

There's a few different things with ORV policies.

Beacon for example, you are insuring the bike - regardless of who buys it.

With another policy available through one of the major offroad clubs - you insure the person, or the family.

At any rate, it's turned into a total clusterfuck... and people in the motorsport industry have been well involved in this for a LONG time. This isn't new.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts

From what I was told you can not buy insurance without a drivers licence, so if you are underage you cant get a licence which means you cant get insurance.

This is being looked into so younger kids can ride but since ICBC is involved they are stuck by the under 16 law.

Some info...

http://bcorma.ca/node/1531

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I can see the plates getting torn off on a regular basis and as said before they would be pretty muddy most of the time,so whats next tickets for obstructed plates?
Obviously brought to you by the same idiots that made a law saying you could never take your feet off the pegs even when stopped.

I guess I'll just wait and see what happens first.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Obviously brought to you by the same idiots that made a law saying you could never take your feet off the pegs even when stopped.
Indeed, the same ones. The bunch that will sieze your vehicle if you're doing 40 over.

Registering and even third party insurance isn't neccessarily a bad thing...

What's the speed limit on a gravel/forest service road?
I lose 2 licence plates a year, almost every year... plates are going to be scattered all over the landscape.

These guys intend to cash in on the ORV population.

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
Indeed, the same ones. The bunch that will sieze your vehicle if you're doing 40 over.

Registering and even third party insurance isn't neccessarily a bad thing...

What's the speed limit on a gravel/forest service road?
I lose 2 licence plates a year, almost every year... plates are going to be scattered all over the landscape.

These guys intend to cash in on the ORV population.
Not true. This stuff has been in the works for at least a decade. Far longer than the over 40 impound politicians.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Not true. This stuff has been in the works for at least a decade. Far longer than the over 40 impound politicians.
They didn't write this set of rules a decade ago... :)

There has been talk of registering ORV since the late 70's, with stickers, much like the rest of the world...

So far, much of these current changes has focused on taxes getting paid, setting requirements.

Given XdtesZombie's example, and that it's now illegal to stand up on a motorcycle, same bunch. The separation from reality is strong with these people.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Not such a worry for me. I gave up loading and unloading offroad only bikes years ago. I'd rather my fun start at the end of my driveway rather than 1 1/2 hrs later. I've got a street plated bike for doing what I need to do off road, so don't care about all this. In fact, it might be safer,,,,less red necks shooting across FSR's hitting other bikes.

Of course it's a cash grab. It is what it is. I do know that the RCMP has taken delivery of a fleet of new Polaris ATV's for patrolling the FSR network, so they will be looking for unplated bikes anywhere to confiscate for fine collection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts