BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard on the radio this morning that their proposing a new bill that would allow people to get a discount on their tickets if they pay them right away sort of like how parking tickets work I guess. They also mentioned allowing Police to enter evidence over the telephone or videophone instead of having to be present at disputed tickets. I guess they're trying to get rid of some of the back log in disputed tickets and speed things up.

I think its not a bad idea, be interested to see if it passes and if so how it will work. Thoughts?

G

·
0 Posts
I think it is a revnue generating scam so they quit getting burned on people fighting their tickets and the officer not showing up. Just imagine if you know they will always be evidence presented in one form or the other that the judge will be favourable to, then of course most people are going to just pay the reduced amount and say 'oh it's just not worth fighting and I get a discount!' I'll still fight ones I don't deserve and I will still pay them when I want. I like to do the payment plan when they start threatening collections action...

They just have to get their grimy paws on our hard earned loot....bastards

just me 2 cents

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
OOOh. 10 bux off if I pleaad guilty and pay the fine right away. I stil lwill fight every ticket I get. And ICBC needs to stop double dipping with tickets and point premiums. Just charge me what the damn thing should really be and stop billing my road tax twice.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,817 Posts
fug dat. If the cop can phone in for his court appearance, I demand the same capability!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If the reduced ticket price means no points then I am all for it. That double dipping crap that ICBC pulls on driver point premiums. If you get a bill for them do what I did a couple of years ago, call and get them to explain it to you. Basically if you get 4 or more points in a year, which is how it was explained to me, a year is 5 months before your birthday and a full 12 month period from then. Kind of confussing, why not just use a calandar year or go 12 months from your birthday, well in any event, I argued that since I had gotten 6 points and a bill for $300 that I should only have to pay for half of it since the first 3 points are free under their own rules. if you get 3 points you pay nothing if you get 4 or more you pay $50 a point.

Beleive it or not it took them 2 weeks to get back to me and then the guys says although i am technically right, I still have to pay the full amount. What a load of crap, anyway, dispute everything and push it years down the road as the points only count when you are convicted or plead guilty. So if you don't get a lot of tickets you can push them to the next billing year so to speak and save your self some bucks.

B

·
0 Posts
that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. it will most likely get passed too.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I paid a $175 ticket a while back that I know th points epire in Sept. but I also got another ticket a few weeks ago for $115....how many points for each ticket and when do I HAVE to pay them ? I have already disputed the 115 ticket so unless trial date comes up before sept. I don't think I will get hit.....right ?

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They did mention one more thing they we're proposing to add and that was allowing you to mail in your disputes instead of having to go in and do it in person, I have no idea why that just came to me know.....to much on my mind I guess :)

D

·
0 Posts
Quasi said:
They did mention one more thing they we're proposing to add and that was allowing you to mail in your disputes instead of having to go in and do it in person, I have no idea why that just came to me know.....to much on my mind I guess :)
look at the back of your ticket. there is a mailing address for disputes. always been there too. its not new at all.

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never realized that, maybe I misunderstood that part when they we're listing off the things in this proposed bill.

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found the offical statement

For Immediate Release
02:14
May 8, 2002 Ministry of Attorney General

VICTORIA - Legislation introduced today will modernize B.C.'s violation ticket dispute process for handling disputed traffic tickets, allow for discounted traffic traffic fine amounts, and enhance court safety, said Attorney General Geoff Plant.

"The current process for disputing traffic tickets is antiquated and inefficient,, and has created frustration for both the police and the public at large," said Plant. "This has resulted in lengthy and often unnecessary court proceedings, and in police resources being diverted away from vital, on-the-street law enforcement. The new system will improve and streamline the process, saving time for the public, and allowing the police to focus on protecting public safety."

Under the changes to the Offence Act, people will still be required to dispute tickets in person, but will now be able to dispute the amounts of those fines in writing. Similarly, for the first time ever, police will now be able to provide evidence in writing, and may also present to court by phone or through videoconferencing. The changes announced today are expected to reduce costs by
$4.7 million a year, mainly from savings for police time.
Last year, $4.3 million in police costs were incurred for officers to attend court.

People who pay traffic violation fines within 30 days will also be eligible for a discounted rate. This is similar to the fine structure on for municipal parking tickets.

D

·
0 Posts
well, according to that statement, i am not allowed to dispute my ticket by mail. the back of the ticket says i can though. that will be great court fodder. maybe my ticket will get completely lost in the process and i can forget about it.

·
On a soapbox
3,008 Posts
bender said:
that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. it will most likely get passed too.
Just look up DUMB in a dictionary. It'll say "see BC Legislature".
I'm getting sick of these draconian impositions on drivers/riders.
C'mon you guys, get with the program and support BCCOM and make your voice be heard.
What next?!!!

·
On a soapbox
3,008 Posts
Come to think of it look up DUMBER It'l probably say "See BC Citizens" they'll take any sort of crap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts