BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been riding for about a month now and getting use to the parking situations around Vancouver (reading from previous articles) and how one bike may share a spot with a car etc. etc. I haven't seen this post yet as it may be due to recent changes in roads for bicycles.

What I have come to notice, as I work downtown and pass by these spots a lot, is that many scooters, mopeds, and occasional motorcycles, anything with a bike license plate parking in the bicycle stalls. Has anyone tried this before? I've seen many motocycles parked along hornby and west georgia (google map is out dated as Hornby has a bigger bike lane now)
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Georgia+near+Hornby+Street,+Vancouver,+British+Columbia&aq=0&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=42.55036,77.871094&ie=UTF8&hq=Georgia&hnear=Hornby+St,+Vancouver,+British+Columbia&ll=49.283749,-123.120045&spn=0,0.019011&z=16&layer=c&cbll=49.283749,-123.120045&panoid=SJVo29XmCtr9ysSm23qbPg&cbp=12,53.46,,0,3.76

As well as Dunsmir (Out dated google map) http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dunsmuir+hemlock+vancouver&aq=&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=42.55036,77.871094&ie=UTF8&hq=dunsmuir+hemlock&hnear=Vancouver,+Greater+Vancouver+Regional+District,+British+Columbia&ll=49.281627,-123.113408&spn=0,0.019011&z=16&layer=c&cbll=49.281627,-123.113408&panoid=w6HoZZdIApiCQZRidYWrTw&cbp=12,321.54,,0,11.78

My question is, has anyone ever done that here? Have you ever gotten ticketed it? I was thinking about parking my bike there one time because I was late for work but I was a little sketched out about getting ticketed it. Please let me know of your experience! :happysq

·
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsı&#3
184 Posts
I've parked at the dunsmir bike racks for a few hours once without a ticket. Might have just been lucky though, I'm not sure what their policy is.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,252 Posts
Don't park at bike racks or the sidewalk. Scooters will get away with it, you'll get ticketed - been there, done that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm okay thank you! I wasn't sure of the policy and Ive seen the same bikes/motorized vehicles parking every day but I guess the meter maids have been going easy on everyone

·
Registered
41 Posts
At this moment, no tickets will be issued for any motorcycles and scooters parked in the bike lane's bicycle stalls. I confirmed this with a parking bylaw officer patrolling the DT area. This may change, and he advised that contact the Vancouver City hotline, and ask for parking bylaw supervisor from time to time to reaffirm their position in ticketing bicycle stalls.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Be really careful about this, individual parking enforcement officers often set their own policies about letting things slide, and then they have a bad day or another one comes along and BAM! Tickets for everyone for the smallest possible infraction.

·
Veni, vidi, velcro....
71 Posts
I've been wondering about this too. I have both a motorcycle and a scoot and am starting a new job downtown in a couple of weeks. The scoot would be perfect to get me in and out of the core, but parking is an issue. I have parked in one of these (across from the Art Gallery) once, but I didn't park "in" the bike racks, but beside them. There is quite a chunk of space after the bike racks that seemed OK for a scoot, and there were others.

I asked the guy at Urban Wasp, he's been involved in trying to get more scoot/motorcycle parking around town, and he said many have been ticketed. I'd also come across an article saying that the city is turning a blind eye to it for the moment. With those contradictions and knowing some have been ticketed.....makes me twitchy to leave it there.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Bylaw enforcement has to be a pretty tough job ........ I would not
like to be doing that.

·
You'd be surprised
1,329 Posts
I wouldn't risk it personally. Nevermind the risk of tickets, some bicyclist may get upset and knock your bike over!

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,206 Posts
bylaw enforcement officers are usually highly educated and bitter as hell that they are taking a job as a bylaw enforcement officer. It's usually just an "in" to the city through the union, so they start in a lower position. Most hate the job and aren't in it for very long, but yep, all it takes is 1 bad day and everyone gets tickets! Or, you can run across an enforcement officer that hates motorcycles! There are a few that do for sure. I would not risk it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I just discovered that if you register for pay by phone with city of vancouver, and register the plate as a motorcycle, it automatically discounts you 50% off all meters downtown (and probably city lots elsewhere). And you can pay for far more minutes than the meter normally allows for a given street.

Not bad, considering there's no way to get that discount using coins...

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is a BIG bike rack at the corner of Pender/Hornby in front of Bread Garden. Everyday I see sportbikes parked there (sometimes all day) with no apparent issues. But the funny part is, I asked a bylaw parking ticket person about it a few weeks ago and I was told it is definitely NOT legal to park a "motorcycle" there. I guess these riders will find out the hard way.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^
BwaHah!
So true and yet with the parking squeeze going on in Vancouver, just as relevant now as then.
I'm thinking of buying a bicycle rack for my car just so the Mayor sees me as a viable citizen because it seems like motorists are not appreciated….

Back to the original topic…my concern about parking in bike racks is the requirement (in some cases) of riding on the sidewalk to get there. Ticket magnet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts