BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
out of curiosity, how would i go about going down a few teeth in the back or (up in the front i guess)?

ultimately i want to learn how to wheelie, but my kat doesn't have enough power stock.

this once again is a research project :). im not planning to do it till way later this summer..

thanks
-d

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but putting more teeth in the back is sorta like "gearing down" right ? :p

can you guys give me a very rough estimate of how much this might cost?
a rear sprocket would be a ~$100 + $70 chain + another $100 for the front sprocket?

am close?

thanks

-d

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big Jim said:
More teeth on the rear (or fewer on the front) is exactly gearing down. You increase your low end pull and decrease your top end speed..

A rough estimate on price:

New Chain (go Xring, rivoted master link): $95-$120
New Rear Sprocket: $50-$100
New Front Sprocket: $15-$40

Some one correct me if I'm worng, I haven't priced these out in a while.

Jim.

thanks, that's about what i expected.
-d

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bah now im confused as hell
im asuming the size of the chain depends on the size of the sprocket?
what im looking here for, mostly, is not weight loss, or super mega performance. im looking for cheapness, quality and longevity. plus i want to be able to wheelie.
i mean kats weigh a whole lot. (450lbs). I doubt +-1 pound would be a big deal.
thanks
-d

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
BMatthews said:

Then stay with the stock chain size (that 520 or 530 or whatever your's is) but get a REAR sprocket 2 or 3 teeth BIGGER. This means a new chain but it sounds like you're replacing the whole lot thanks to wear anyway. Right?

If you're just wanting to try it out then cheaply then get a FRONT sprocket only that is one tooth SMALLER. Put it on with the existing chain and rear sprocket and just adjust the tensioner.

Assuming you have roughly a 1:3 front/rear tooth count ratio like most then the one tooth down in the front is the same as 3 up in the back.

Your cruise rpms will be a little higher for any given speed but the acceleration will be better and it *should* give you a bit more for wheelies. Don't expect 2 gear midrange rollon wheelies though. It's just no going to happen with a Kat. Even first gear ones will still need a couple of tricks probably. Like a quick off-on to bounce the front and stuff like that.

It's not a liter bike after all :flip

:laughing thanks!! :) it's all about the skill, not the engine volume...right :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts