BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

new to SM

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Sliver 
#1 ·
hello.

im new to super motords but im saving up for one. ive read thru the posted threads and there are some things im curious about. i hope anyone can help.

1. im a short bub. at only 5'6" i think its going to be a stretch or tip toeing but is anyone out there as tall as i am (but being the stubborn bum that i am i think i'd still try it even if it was to high for me; my only worry is stopping in traffic)? im asking because im planning to use for both street and track.... or track only...
2. track only.... which leads me to this question. im in richmond and what is the nearest motard track?
3. can anyone shed some light on the bikes they ride? i was looking at ktm initially but im open to husaberg? husqvarna? or honda yamah or suzuki. any opnions and feedback that can help me with my selection?
- im using it for tack and street
- i want reliability
- ease of service
- bullet proof workmanship and quality
- eventually i'll be dressing it up so what model has the biggest aftermarket following

thanks and any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
You won't have a problem at 5 6" Holly is only 5 2" and 105 lbs she rode a DRZ 400 with no problems. You don't need to touch flat foot with both feet to balance a bike. The fastest riders of SM in the world are under 5 6" .

Most reliable street machine is the DRZ 400 or XR 650 (which is big and heavy)

Husqvarna is also street legal and really easy to work on there built for the most grueling racing in the world the ISDE.

All the rest are good but not recomended for long distance touring. CRF , WR , YZ , KTM , are high on the maintenance but wicked big on the fun factor.

#4 · (Edited)
5thgear said:
You won't have a problem at 5 6" Holly is only 5 2" and 105 lbs she rode a DRZ 400 with no problems. .
:laughing
I do remember seeing her rolling on the ground as I was checking the shifter on the #1 haha
I came to a stop and was looking at it when I hear the DRZ come to a stop behind me and then next thing I see is Holly rolling on the ground hahaha!!
There is a guy in England and he is 5 fo0t and rides a EXC525 with out a problem ..

#5 ·
I'm maybe an inch taller than you, and I've had no problems with the sm height. Well, I have to stand on the pegs in order to kick it over, but that's about it. But if you're got e-start, you won't have to worry about that.

However, I do find my bike to be too tall for me in dirtbike form...

#9 ·
bababoy said:
hello.

im new to super motords but im saving up for one. ive read thru the posted threads and there are some things im curious about. i hope anyone can help.

1. im a short bub. at only 5'6" i think its going to be a stretch or tip toeing but is anyone out there as tall as i am (but being the stubborn bum that i am i think i'd still try it even if it was to high for me; my only worry is stopping in traffic)? im asking because im planning to use for both street and track.... or track only...
2. track only.... which leads me to this question. im in richmond and what is the nearest motard track?
3. can anyone shed some light on the bikes they ride? i was looking at ktm initially but im open to husaberg? husqvarna? or honda yamah or suzuki. any opnions and feedback that can help me with my selection?
- im using it for tack and street
- i want reliability
- ease of service
- bullet proof workmanship and quality
- eventually i'll be dressing it up so what model has the biggest aftermarket following

thanks and any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
you have much the same criteria as i did when i first got into it. at 5'6" you can ride anything at stock height even if barely tiptoe'ing, it just comes down to how comfortable you are with that. I bought a drz400e to begin with because it was already built and the right price (thanks Dan!). it was an AWESOME supermoto to start out on but i began to look for something lighter weight eventually because it was a bit heavy for me in the dirt sections. if you are simply riding on the street or paved track, your choices are very open. any bike can be set up to suit your height really. i loved my '04 Husqvarna and did a tonne of research before buying it. main selling features were: lightweight, relatively tough, narrow profile, electric start AND kickstart. people have had different experiences with different brands. if you are really interested in one particular bike, don't let rumours sway you until the true story comes out. i find the world of supermoto is full of people who can find ANYTHING wrong with any bike and we all have a favourite for one reason or another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.