BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'm new to sport bikes as well, so I don't really know much about them, I was thinking of getting a bike next summer and thought I'd do my research on them now.

I just have a few questions..
First of all, how are sport bikes on gas efficiency anyways?? say compared to a civic or something?
And how do insurance costs compare as well??

Last thing would be what kind of bike would you guys recomend for someone whos never even rode a bike before, would a ZX-6R or YZF600R be a good choice?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot:)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Those two bikes you just named are awesome bikes to begin with.

Honda F2 to 4's, SV-650's, and for the under 600cc's, a Kawasaki EX-500.

About the Gas mileage.
I usually 36-42 Mpg on an old bike.
25 buck in a civic will get me 400-500km's
25 bucks will get me about 550-600 km's (That's about 3 fillups though) and more if I do alot of easy highway riding.

Insurance, oh boy. I pay as much as my civic per month for motorcycle insurance.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Cool, I get to be first.... :D

:flip WELCOME ABOARD :flip <-----standard greeting in case you didn't know.

Mileage wise they are a little better than a civic but bear in mind they make as much power as the car and you can't get the power out without the gas going in. But just so you're not dissapointed they accelerate MUCH faster than anything you've ever been in that has 4 wheels.

These bikes would not be my first suggestion. The both have much too much plastic for a first timer. The odds are that you're gonna have an oopsie in a parking lot or just pushing it around. Better to have something without so much plastic..... or at least be prepared to pay the piper.

600's are very bloody fast and sneaky. It's not that they are hard to ride. Quite the opposite. But they are so smooth that you can get sucked in and find yourself going much faster than you intended and arriving at bad situations before you know it.

If you get either of these treat them like a loaded handgun with no safety and a hair trigger. Used properley they can be safe and fun. Pointed the wrong way and with a nervous hand though......

PS: Too darn slow typing...Sew(er)man beat me to the first welcome honors.......... :D

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,818 Posts
BMatthews said:
...treat them like a loaded handgun with no safety and a hair trigger. Used properley they can be safe and fun. Pointed the wrong way and with a nervous hand though......(AND YER BRAINS ARE ON THE WALL!)<-(Myedit))
excellent analogy.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet, thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
new bike

Welcome to the site. Both bikes you mentioned are good choices except for a couple of things. From my experience sport bikes are intense--fast, quick cornering powerfull machines that can get you into trouble in a hurry---but what a ride. You may want to look at the cheaper cousins of both those models like the Kawasaki ZX6E or the Yamaha YZF600. I bought my Kawi in Dec. when the dealers are a little more hungry to sell a bike and am real happy with it. I used to ride a Triumph 750 ( pictured in my avatar ) and these bikes will give you whiplash when you crack the throttle. Do lots of looking and talking , you will soon narrow the search down.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: new bike

Budgie said:
Welcome to the site. Both bikes you mentioned are good choices except for a couple of things. From my experience sport bikes are intense--fast, quick cornering powerfull machines that can get you into trouble in a hurry---but what a ride. You may want to look at the cheaper cousins of both those models like the Kawasaki ZX6E or the Yamaha YZF600. I bought my Kawi in Dec. when the dealers are a little more hungry to sell a bike and am real happy with it. I used to ride a Triumph 750 ( pictured in my avatar ) and these bikes will give you whiplash when you crack the throttle. Do lots of looking and talking , you will soon narrow the search down.
Do you have any links for the ZX6E or the YZF600?? cause the only ones i've seen on their sites are the "r" versions...

and I guess that brings me to another question, what are the prices ranges that I'll be looking at for these bikes?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
You can check out my gallery to take a look at my E. Just don't laugh at the garbage bag rainsuit photo.

www.bikepics.com also has a bunch of ZX-6E pictures. Look up ZZR 600, or ZX6. The zzr is the american designation.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet, thanks man, your bike looks great :) How much did it cost, if you don't mind me asking?
And you're going to SFU now too eh? Thats cool, I'm currently going into second year at UBC, do you usually ride your bike to school on the nice days? Or do you have another car as your daily commuter?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts