BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo supsup, how you all doin? I just signed into this site today, and I'm interested in finding out some info on sport bikes. I want to get into the bike scene this summer......hoperfully. Right about now I have only driven a dirt bike, its was stick too, is it really that much different from a sportbike?

·
resident monkey boy
806 Posts
:flip Welcome :flip <---- standard BCSB greeting

sportbikes and dirtbikes are two very different beasts, although the driving them are the same "riding" them are different ballparks...sportbikes need to be respected way more because of the trouble they can get you into

make sure that if you want to get into this take the riding school before jumping onto a sportbike...links to the best school are in the links section

Good Luck!:)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Raman said:
Yo supsup, how you all doin? I just signed into this site today, and I'm interested in finding out some info on sport bikes. I want to get into the bike scene this summer......hoperfully. Right about now I have only driven a dirt bike, its was stick too, is it really that much different from a sportbike?
Welcome !!:evilgrin :flip

Its not so much that the sportbike is different, its that now you're seeing 100km/h speeds all the time (and more depending on your riding style) and you're in traffic.

I rode dirtbike for 10 years, I took the action riding course, and now I have a sportbike and it isnt too bad although it will still scare me fairly regularly:D

If you havent had MUCH passed experience... I would look into a Suzuki sv650s - those bikes look really sweet, can keep up to all but the best riders in the twisties, and are still plenty fast in the straightaways. And if you drop it (which you almost certainly will) it doesnt have 4000 worth of fairings to fix.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
:flip WELCOME ABOARD :flip

Street riding has a whole new set of things to watch out for. I'd really suggest a riding course just for the street smarts it'll provide. My wife took it and pointed out about 6 things that I was doing wrong. Just little corrections that would make me a LOT more visible to the traffic or make it so my riding was more predictable or give me more safety margin. You don't need it for the riding portion obviously but the rest is worth it. And IIRC the school cuts a whole bunch of time off of the new graduated license scheme. And that alone has to be worth it.

Other than that just go easy for the first season. Don't let your dirt biking make you cocky. These things are FAST. You can easily find the bike delivering you to the scene of your accident while your mind is still 200 yards back down the road.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:flip welcome :flip

Yeah I too rode alot of dirtbikes, did some motocross racing as a kid, but I tell ya when I took it to the street a year ago its a different world travelling 120km/hr on pavement that does not give vs. 70km/h on dirt that you can slide around on.. I would definatly take a riding course well worth the money!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts