BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Great info again. I appreciate it.*

We've been married 14 years now so no surprises. Lol.

I keep seeing some decent deals in Alberta on the odd 300 but I don't really want to travel to far to get one. So I figure I'll just keep watching for something similar somewhat local to show up. I've seen a couple 2013-2014 in the $3000-$3500 range.

I'm much more inclined to wait for something to list at/near what I think is a good deal and then jump on it. Rather than 'working' someone down on their price. *

·
Registered
188 Posts
Great info again. I appreciate it.*

We've been married 14 years now so no surprises. Lol.

I keep seeing some decent deals in Alberta on the odd 300 but I don't really want to travel to far to get one. So I figure I'll just keep watching for something similar somewhat local to show up. I've seen a couple 2013-2014 in the $3000-$3500 range.

I'm much more inclined to wait for something to list at/near what I think is a good deal and then jump on it. Rather than 'working' someone down on their price. *
ah I see, yeah that's a good idea... you're right, every once in a while there are some good deal especially one that says "must sell" because people moving out of country/province and stuff.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm starting to get things dialed in. My short list of 300's cleared right out over fri/sat. I saw a 2013 300 listed at $2500 sell in under 24hrs(ad pulled atleast) and a couple I had shortlisted right around 3 sold too. These were all Alberta bikes. *I've noticed on kijiji atleast there are way more sport bikes and bikes in general for sale in Alberta compared to BC.*

I'm feeling confident I'll find the right one, just need a little patience. *

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Valley Moto Sports is advertising a brand new 16 300 on faceass for $3999.99. If you are serious about one of these good luck finding a better deal.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That is a fantastic price. Thanks for the heads up. I don't use Facebook but I'll try to check it out.*

I'm leaving town camping tomorrow morning but......damn that is a fantastic new price. Guessing pdi and doc would push it up to about $4700 plus taxes. *Really hoping to spend a little bit less second hand but man that's a great deal new.

Heh didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot. Just nobody likes to be called a low balling tirekicker. I'm sure you see every make and manner of noob posting through here. But I'm just a guy who wants to get back into street riding in my early fourtys now. *I have a family, farm, business, a lot on the go. It's not like I could buy that bike on Monday and spend the rest of the summer riding it at my leisure. Even though I'd like to.*

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I almost wish I hadn't seen that. I'm supposed to be off camping tomorrow morning to unplug and unwind. Now all I'm going to be doing is sweating whether that bike moves or not, or trying to figure if I should throw a deposit on before we leave? *Damn. That's a good deal I think!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
damn that is a fantastic new price. Guessing pdi and doc would push it up to about $4700 plus taxes. *Really hoping to spend a little bit less second hand but man that's a great deal new.
I paid $4200 with 8000km and cracked fairings, and feel like I got a deal. So $4700+tax new will be hard to beat.
Have you considered the R3? The shootouts I saw had the Ninja and the R3 basically matched, both over the CBR. When I was shopping they were pretty rare used or carried even more of a premium than the Ninja, but a year later there may be more to choose from.
I have no idea where all the little *'s are coming from?
You're probably on a Mac? It's a forum bug that the overlords don't care enough to fix.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ahh ipotato here, so that's probably it.*

I have considered the r3 but I saw they were reported to have more vibration and more heat than the ninja and a little less refined handling? *The vibration thing is what concerned me most as I've had carpal tunnel surgery in one hand already.*

I'm seeing a real pricing discrepancy between Alberta and BC. And my last vehicle purchase I saw the same. I went to Alberta for a f350 as I couldn't find anything comparable locally.

I've somewhat worked against myself a bit as I've showed my wife a few of the good deals in Alberta so of course now she'd like me to spend around the 3mark. *But having been married fourteen years so far I know sometimes it's better to seek forgiveness than 'permission'. Lol. *

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
vibes on bikes are for the most part not a big deal, bar end weights, risers etc. I cant imagine a 300 being too much trouble.
A lot of stuff that gets tossed around in the interwebz is pure bs and generally comes from inexperienced riders,
or at least it would seem more prevalent on the smaller bikes.

In terms of handling i find it hard to believe a yamaha wouldn't handle well, but of course there could be exceptions out there,
i dont ride small bikes but I have had the surgery on my left wrist as well and vibes dont bother me none. I ride an R1 with bar
end mirrors and those cleared up vibes well enough, mine's got the gen1 xplane engine as well which is known for its vibes.

good luck with your search, i would lean toward an R3 myself

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
My R3 just turned one year old with 10,000 klicks. I still freakin love riding the little bugger. I ride with a 300 ninja occasionally and I do have a slight edge on power. They are very similar bikes.
The R3 is very smooth. Once its revving you would think its a 4 cylinders. The stock sound is intoxicating. Sounds like a wailing banchee when you get into it. Its pretty comfy on long rides compared to a full blown sportbike.
You can't go wrong with either bike.

There's a few ktm 390s out there if you are into a single. They go pretty good. Not sure about parts and reliability. They will be trying to clear them out too.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Excellent info. I often take what I read on the internet with a grain of salt. *But I do find forums to be a great source of real world experience and knowledge. And didn't mean to give the wrong impression. I didn't read the Yamaha was bad handling just not as good handling as the kawi. But to be fair I have read a lot of positive things about them too.

My best bud who's gsxr750 is in my shop right now waiting on some parts, was by today encouraging me to wait for a private deal. *Even though he agreed that that is a smoking price on that new 300 from valley moto. So I'll camp on things anyways(gone for a few days) and let things settle in.*

Thanks again everyone for taking some time for a noob. I appreciate the input. *

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
Excellent info. I often take what I read on the internet with a grain of salt. *But I do find forums to be a great source of real world experience and knowledge.

"the best there is, is very often limited to the best you've ridden", therefore...

i have often found the exact opposite. Having grown up in competition i've been lucky enough to develop a real sense
of what is really going on with a motorcycle and what is a con vs something that can be readily 'fixed' with aftermarket
or few simple tweaks.

The forums have fallen prey to the same limited thinking of big magazine reviews, where folks start / end thinking with their
wallets and very far from using actual brains. When comparing one vs the other they just go test one for a few minutes and
somehow come up with a lifetime's worth of comments. Feel free to swap the word 'minutes' with 'hundreds of seat-miles' at will :laughing

I tend to sift through the bullshit which is often pages and pages of totally misaligned understanding based purely on inexperience.

I am sure you can imagine this would be exponentially greater on such a 'starter' bike..
essentially, the target market for this type of bike has NO CLUE what the fvck is going on. :angel

Of course if you've been off the bikes for a while most tend to take what is posted to be an end all and just because joe blow # 150
decided to regurgitate verbatim right off the magazine shootout mixed with a few 'personal' opinion bits the entire thing is suddenly
taken for actual TRUTH where the fact of the matter is probably somewhere in left field.

I've been told rather often what i have done with my R1 is bloody fvcking impossible, and yet me and a good 2 or four handfuls have
managed to tame little gremlins and done so on the cheap that its absolutely laughable what most forum junkies consider IMPOSSIBLE..

ride your own ride, get around and ask lots of questions, dont be afraid to try old tricks.

every manufacturer has a target audience, if you dont fall between their fictional goal posts you are likely to be very critical of something
which is COMMON to all BIKES, but because you've been off the game for a while, you have nothing to gauge what you 'feel' on the road.

every bike out there NEEDS to be setup for the actual rider, there is simply no arguing this.. In my
personal experience Yamaha tends to have a much higher build quality than the other guys and they
very simply build motorcycles with aftermarket in mind, meaning if its a tiny little problem they'll often
put more thought into something way more complicated rather than please somebody who wont spend
any money on their bikes.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
*Ninja rider I don't think I'd consider one of those. This 300 is going to be a stepping stone for me I'm quite certain. Not saying I won't enjoy the heck out of it, but the end thought that my wife will end up riding it and I'll get into a 600ss. *And the 'looks' of the bike are important to her. I don't think she'd go for that.*

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Bacchus40. Interesting thoughts.*

Part of what I meant by getting good info from forums is posts/info like yours. Open my eyes through your experience. I do know what you mean about some forums though, a lot of chafe to sift through for the pearls.*

I will definetly have a look at the yamahas too now, and not be closed minded.*

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
thank you for reading, I hope you dont take my post to be too negative on forums as most of what i've managed to figure out
about bikes and how to mod for best results has come from making connections on the top forums. I kinda went on my soap-box
a little there with my rant as what you posted regarding the R3 was taken DIRECTLY off a big magazine review.
The word 'refined' when talking about this or that bike is not something a forum user would know the meaning of. I dont have the
article right in front of me but i recognized it as soon as you posted. So yes take that commen with huge grain of salt, most
people tend to stop reading at a certain point and completely miss the next paragraph where the pro rider flat out admits even
with these x or y shortcomings they'd still take the Yamaha over another, and specially the kawi. :laughing

not that there's anything wrong with kawis, we're just talking about a slightly more forgiving target-market.. its a learner bike, nothing more.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I certainly have researched as much as I could off the interwebs before posting here. So if I posted something verbatim as you say it came directly from my.........memory. *I've read many many reviews, enough it's all become a bit of a blur.

One thing that threw me with the r3 was the smaller tank. *For anyone who has an r3 what sort of real world range are you finding on a tank?

21 - 40 of 62 Posts