BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throwing out the idea of trailering bikes down to southern California and riding across the boarder down through the Baja from the dates Dec. 27th, returning Jan 10th, dates are flexible within a couple days.

Looking at putting a small group together who might be interested in exploring the Baja.

·
Lee RideFar
5,463 Posts
Two weeks is about the minimum time you would need to get down there and back via trailer.

It is more adventure ride than a 'great roads' ride.

Cross via Tecate both directions. Motorcycles to the front of the line going back into the states. Your Nexus pass will work if you have it.

Get insurance through Baja Bound. ICBC will not cover you.

We stayed in El Rosario the first night.

We stayed in the Bay of Los Angeles, the second night. SKIP THIS. Not worth the detour.

We stayed in Mulege the third night. Nice place.

La Paz the fourth night

Arrived in San Jose Del Cabo the fith night via Todos Santos.

Coming back we stayed in Loreto, Guerro Negro, and the San Diego. We made good time coming back.

It is REALLY remote. You do NOT want to crash or have a significant breakdown. It will take 1-3 days for a truck to haul you out of there.

Gas wasn't an issue. Road were better than expected except for one 30kms stretch of 'Aye Carumba' road construction in which I crashed twice.

Margaritas will knock you on your ass, which is good after a long day. Beer is cheap and plentiful.

Accommodation was nicer than expected some really nice places for decent prices.

I'd do the ride again in 10 years and not a year sooner. I enjoyed the ride and it is probably the easiest adventure ride you could do.

Here are the pictures from my trip.
http://ridefar.ca/wordpress/?p=1670

If your serious about going, let me know and we can chat more.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Elevation,

Didn't see your reply to my thread until today...missed it. Looks like your trip down to the Baja was a great trip. Should have posted a little more info in my first post, I am brining my dual sport bike.... more like a dirt bike with lights and signals. Most of my trip will be dirt and dust.

Leaving on Dec 27th and return on Jan 15th.

Probably post some gloat pics when I get back.

Cheers,
LAH

·
Registered
904 Posts
I hate everything about this thread !!!! and the part I cannot come :(

POST PICS PLEASE crazyloco.gif

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
I did it 8 years ago 2 up. Had to burn some vacation time so took 6 weeks and went for a ride. Took a week to ride from Chilliwack to San Diego and crossed right there. Left Chilliwack on Boxing Day and came back early February.

+1 for the insurance place that Elevation recommended. Double that for the maragarita strength. After a day of riding, they hit like a hurricane.

Take some tools, repair materials and know how to use them before you need to.

Carry 2 wallets. One hidden with most of your money and ID and 500 or so Pesos with cards you don't mind losing in the other one.

Didn't have a single reservation except for 2 weeks in a condo in Cabo but had no problem getting places each afternoon, even New Years Eve. Speaking of which, we stopped every afternoon around 3 in whatever town we were in. You really don't want to ride on Mexican roads after nightfall.

Got jacked by the police once, had someone trying to steal money once. Handled both issues without a problem. Remove your helmet and be respectful going though the military checkpoints. Was doing 30 km/hr in Ensenada when we got rear ended by a Ford Ranger doing 70 km/hr. Stayed upright, Ranger disappeared to the north, fixed the damage and continued on. The front of that Ranger was toast though.

Don't act like a dick, be open to others, and don't push the envelope.

Go, be aware of everything and enjoy the ride.

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
Though about taking a peek across the border last week and was considering going on a trip down there at some point.
I have my zx12 stored in LA so it's not a big deal to fly down and go.
But I'm not sure it's the right bike for the job and at 147k on the odo I am a little concerned about breakdowns as bcaa might not be of much use.
I will give this some thought and maybe respond to this thread in the future.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the ZX-12R would be the wrong bike for this trip.... I'm taking my KTM 350 EXC F, the trip would be better for your KTM 525. My truck is full now but know another group at this point that only have 2 in their truck. PM if interested and I will forward along the contact info.

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
Yes the ZX-12R would be the wrong bike for this trip.... I'm taking my KTM 350 EXC F, the trip would be better for your KTM 525. My truck is full now but know another group at this point that only have 2 in their truck. PM if interested and I will forward along the contact info.
Well my Ktm is strictly a dirt bike and requires an oil/filter change every 10 hrs.
The drz 400sm might be ok but highway speed is pretty limited even geared up at +1 front.
I heard the roads on the Baja were pretty good but I would still think an adventure type bike might be a bit more sensible?
Or is this an off road trip?

·
Registered
18,868 Posts
Though about taking a peek across the border last week and was considering going on a trip down there at some point.
I have my zx12 stored in LA so it's not a big deal to fly down and go.
But I'm not sure it's the right bike for the job and at 147k on the odo I am a little concerned about breakdowns as bcaa might not be of much use.
I will give this some thought and maybe respond to this thread in the future.
BCAA is no use to you in Mexico. You are strictly at the mercy of luck, and use of your own wit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SPOT for the uncontrollable issues and common sense for controllable issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts