BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Greetings a frozen hell :devillook (not hell really...just ontario), but I'm planning my return move back to Vancouver this spring, and I'm looking to get a nice sport bike and gear. Since everyone is around Van and this is the newb forum, I'll ask here.

There's so many people saying such different things about helmets and gear online. If you haven't figured out my user name, I'm one of those dudes hanging from buildings downtown, so I know all about respecting gear. Since I trust my life to my working gear (literally) I always buy quality items.

But at the same time i don't want to murder my bank account. I plan on riding to commute, some weekend trips and (in a year or two) possibly a track day. (Before anyone freaks out, no I won't get a bike then head straight on the highway...I'll keep this post short as I can) so I made the following list

Helmet: must be SNELL approved (no brainer right? Ha ha ha) up to $600 (only for a pretty Arai Ive seen around :spinsmile )

Jacket-Alpinestars GP R leather-$450+high-end bioarmor back and chest upgrades (expensive, but good quality and looks and breathable)

Pants: Up to $300 (I will settle for a decent textile/breathable leather, as long as there's armor already installed or i can upgrade)

Gloves: The Alpinestars M10 looks like good protection (love the carbon fiber) and comfort

Boots: Up to $250

So not including the helmet, I'm looking at anywhere between $900-$1200. Is this a good figure to start with? I'm open to many suggestions and conversations about it.

I already know people are going to say their gear is only $600. Well if you're going to do something, do it right. I would feel much safer wrapped in a $500 leather jacket and go for a slide, then some $120 denim "re-enforced" material. Oh goodie, your skin is still on. Too bad your collarbone is pointing at the sky or your back is broken.

So if someone has read through this entire rant, and actually wants to give some advice to an out of towner, please do so. Depending on some of the responses I get, I can't wait to talk about what bike i want *coughkawicough* But that's for next time.

There's no place like home.

·
padawan
1,942 Posts
:flip :flip :flip Welcome to BCSB :flip :flip :flip

Your gear list is well thought out and priced pretty accurately. I spent about a grand on gear when I got back into riding.

the bartender is right -- fit is really important. Should be snug without constricting. Make sure you assume a riding position when you try it on: squat down to check the fit of the knees; move 'phantom bars' side-to-side to check the elbows and shoulders.

Make sure your pants zip to the jacket - much safer (and mandatory for track days).

Also, consider used gear (except for your helmet) - you can often get great bang for your buck.

Oh, and you can try on gear in Ontario, but buy it out here!!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
It's a good list but your "up to"s are $1600 without a price for gloves or armour.

I spent $1300 on helmet, gloves, jacket and pants (textile) when I first started, and that was a bike show deal. Used gear (except helmet) can be a good deal, there seems to be lots of lightly used stuff.

And if you're like me and most other riders, you will add pieces as you go so don't think your first set needs to be good for all contingencies.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll totally agree that fit is important, and should be able to move freely for whatever happens on a bike (leaning, tucking, even standing at a light). I'm pretty set on the jacket (im a loser but i love the little bit of kawi green and all the armor upgrades), but I'll take your advice and hunt around for second hand pants and boots. I'll probably go for a textile or leather/textile blend (ill try to stick with AP so i can attach them), just as long as i don't shatter my hip and it keeps the skin on my legs.

I know people say don't go for a high end helmet in case you drop it/damage it. But gear is both a monetary investment as well as a survival one, so i treat everything with respect and love. If spending an extra few hundred bucks is the difference between going home or staying in a hospital, being woken up every hour to make sure I'm not dead, it sounds like a good deal. If you're talking about anything from a TV to a smart phone, or rock climbingtor skydiving the same rule applies: You Get What You Pay For

I've been looking at riding school, and narrowed it down to either PRS or Action. Any tips? Is one considered better then the other? i was digging around PRS on youtube, and seen one of the instructors? blasting away at portland and down in so cal. The price and length don't bother me one bit. Train hard, fight easy. Train easy, fight hard...and die.

And i would much rather support a local shop then buy online. Thanks for the tips guys, keep em coming

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I took a course from action in 2001, it was an excellent course. Most riding gear I buy locally, oem parts, tires, I buy on line. Farkles, add ons, upgrades I buy on line. Bike is serviced locally. No issues with the shop, tech is old school excellent. www.partzilla.com is best site I've found for oem parts.

·
Ridin Dirty
5,011 Posts
Welcome Ontario.. :flip

You are in Ontario, go to Royal Distribution they have racks full of everything

My 2 cents

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol thanks man. I may be new but I'm not an idiot. If push ever came to shove, I'd buy a better piece of gear and put the bike back a month. And those youtube skateboarding accidents? Can't watch em. Not that I'm scared of road rash or broken bones (my childhood was full of hospital visits for that shyte) but who really wants a dr. to pick rocks out of him?

I've actually seen a very nasty accident a few years ago. At an intersection a driver made and illegal left and clipped the guys front tire. He went flying and slid about 30 feet on his back and cracked his head off the curb (sounded like a gunshot...I was 30 feet away and thought he was dead). I actually had to yell at him a bit until EMS got there, to keep him down in case he was fucked up. But within 5 min of them arriving, he was up and about, bitching about his bike when I thought he should be dead. He had a SNELL helmet.

It's good to see no one wants to argue for the sake of arguing. I'm smart, confident with a good grip on the English language, but humble when it comes to this. Shut up and listen (or read), and as long as the person isn't a douche, we'll get along fine. Hopefully I can find some decent people, compared to some of the turds i've seen floating in some forums.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
a $200 helmet that is fitted right will be a lot safer and perform better than a $1000 that is not.
High priced gear that doesn't fit properly is a waste of money and will not work as intended.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very true Shovel, comfort is key. the guy in the accident had a $150 HJC helmet. Then there an absolute shit load of styles, some are ment for more racing tucked position other for cruising, all sorts of vents and visors, even different spoilers and anything in between. As long as it has those five letters on the back, I'm happy. I've been doing my homework and it seems up to a few years ago, makers like Shoie and Arai had the middle-high end market locked up. (Don't quote me) Now I search online and there's a ton of good quality helmets out there. As long as I'm comfy, somewhat quiet and not having sweat pour down my face anything between $200-$600 is fair game to me.

·
Unregistered User
1,601 Posts
Buy your gear here, it saves the packing and moving expenses.

We have some good local shops with aggressive pricing.

(Not that I know about gear :) )

·
padawan
1,942 Posts
Great to see a newb interested in good gear - an intelligent approach!

Also great to see you interested in training - also wise! Both PRS and Action are highly rated.

I only have experience with WCSS for their Racer Training School, and can highly recommend it! But that's your next level...

Also consider good books: Proficient Motorcycling; More Proficient Motorcycling (David L. Hough) and Sport Riding Techniques (Nick Ienatsch) are my Bibles

:rider

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Welcome, and good luck with the search. I will just add one point on the helmet rating. Form what I read in last little while, snell rating has lost some of its credibility and is not as highly regarded as it was before. A lot of people say that their testing is not realistic and that it has now become #3 on the list of desirable ratings. DOT, ECE (European rating) and then SNELL. I wouldn't be stuck too much on the rating (dot/ece/snell) as much as proper fit. As everyone mentioned, if your helmet doesn't fit properly, it will not save you and do its job, no matter how many different ratings it has stamped on the back of it.

When you have some time, here is an informative article to read: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/ece-22-05.htm

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally figured out why it seems there are a thousand helmets on the market. Just by reading a bit more carefully, it seems each helmet maker has has up to around 5 or six models, the all the graphics and color schemes are what add to the number. Then again reviews and videos on the net don't equal to what it feels like on my head.

So it's just up to find a apparel shop either in Vancouver or in Ontario (as in the rest of Ontario...not in TO), and find which models fit best (I have about 6 or 7 nominees)

Thanks for the tips guys

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
I'll be honest highrisehanger: I presumed your name implied you have ape bars on your hog! Lol!
Welcome to BCBS!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol no ape bars for me...I'm one of those guys that hang off tall buildings for a living (everyone call me spiderman... fuck that...spiderman is a pussy) I'm trapped in Ontario right now i've always been a Kawi fan since i was a wee one and now this spring i have the opportunity to get one, so carpe deez nuts right?

there's no point getting one here (even if i was staying) because the riding season is maybe four months, the roads are god awful, and pretty much anywhere in BC is a great place to ride.

so I'm just sitting here doing a shit load of homework on schools, bikes and gear and day dreaming.

Oh yeah anyone bitching about the weather there? we just got a foot of snow and its -30......good times :|

·
Registered
402 Posts
Shoei rf 1100. If it fits, good bang for the buck on a higher end helmet. I switch between my arai and shoei, but by far , the shoei is good value for its price.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts