BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I've been a lurker on here for the past 9 years because I've always wanted to ride, but circumstances (time, financial, etc) have always prevented me from actually getting into riding.

This summer, my circumstances have changed and I'm finally able to get started!
I took the PRS course a few months ago, and then bought my first bike, a 2006 Suzuki GS500F!
I have not taken the road test yet, am still waiting to get more hours in.

Which brings me up to this question...

Cancelling turn signals...le sigh.

I keep forgetting to do so. Some rides I'd forget 3 times out of ten. sometime 5/6 out of ten.
Sometime i forget them for only a few seconds, sometimes for an entire 2-3 blocks...
I'm mostly ok when lane changing, more so on actual turns when i forget to cancel because im remembering to do the more important stuff like turning into corners correctly, lane positioning, braking, throtlling, upshifts, etc etc (i know, cancelling signals should be in that list..)

I'm employing the strategy of pushing my cancel button every so often even when im not turning, but sometime i also forget to do that :eek
Currently the turn signal indicator light on my bike is out of my field of vision (unless im doing a full tuck lol)

So it doesnt help that i cant see the light to have it remind me to cancel them. I remind myself to look down everytime but i also forget to do that.
(I also think abt the fact that i shouldn't even look down at the gauge clusters while im moving)

Come to think of it, in the few months I've been riding, I rarely look at my speedometer either (it's analog and in MPH, so the KM is even harder to see) so that's another problem altogether for road testing later, but i digress.

I'm reading forums on the net and i've found this as something to help with this issue of mine.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Motorcycle-indicator-warning-LED-a-must-have-/220540828057?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item335941f999

Should I get this and rely (not solely) on this device to accelerate my learning/muscle memory to cancel my signal?
(and consequently be safer coz then im not misleading cagers and getting myself into trouble)

OR should i not get it and just eventually learn to cancel through hours on the bike and experience?
(albeit slower and less safe when i do forget..)

It'd be sad if i fail the road test because i forget to cancel my signal... (I'm planning to take my road test either september or next year)

I welcome all thoughts and feedback! Thanks all!

Cheers! :)

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
First thing is to know that forgetting to cancel your signals can cause a car to think you are going to turn and they may do something unexpected. So drill it in to your head to remember. Now to help you remember you can do a few things. Like that additional led indicator, or install a beeper so it makes a sound when on or I have seen self canceling lights on BMW's and big touring cruisers. I have a button on my bike so its really easy to just hit it as soon as I finish the turn..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had this issue when I first started to ride and found that by mentally linking 'shifting into second and then canceling signal' on turns worked for me. Now it is ingrained and I don't think about it anymore. Sometimes I end up cancelling before the turn is completely finished, but not a problem.

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
I don't think a gadget is going to teach your brain or train your instincts. Like Mr. Sushi says, you risk some serious issues in traffic by not canelling them. If it helps, I've been riding 20+ years and I still poke at my turn signal switch as a habit just to make sure they are off. And also, I rarely EVER look at my dash.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Time will fix this, it is part of how you ride, control skills.

Think about the process you use when cornering, for example you are in first gear waiting for light to change, left leg down, light goes green, check for pedestrians, a little gas, clutch partway out, start to roll forward, leg on peg, aim for inside of turn, halfway through turn cancel signal, you go where you look etc.

I like the reminder light on the shield idea.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It will become more ingrained as you ride more. I made myself cancel them as soon as I've started to stand the bike back up from completing the turn and it became second nature. After a while casually glancing down at the dash while riding becomes less difficult.

·
100% Asshole
3,394 Posts
This needs to be ingrained...this is part of riding. Just push the button always push the button. Did I say this yet push the button.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
You'll get it eventually. The little light may help you remember, but just being aware of it is going to be the best.

The suggestions to tie it to a specific point in your turn (second gear, straightening up, etc) is good, I think i did that but don't remember.

I know it may sound silly, but some practice in a vacant parking lot can really help burn this kind of stuff in. Just ride a square, stop at each corner, engage the turn signal, make the turn and cancel it. Reverse direction every few laps so you don't get dizzy. Do that for 15 minutes a few times a week, probably won't need to do it for long.

·
Born to sweep.
611 Posts
Funny Mark..............its funny, people ask "what do you think about while spending all those hours on the bike?". My answer "Nothing, I concentrate on operating the bike".
Exactly, that's why I like riding - if you don't do this, you're toast. Mtn biking the same, except a lighter degree of toast generally (except for the climbs, when mind wanders all over the place).

If only every other driver on the road was of the same mindset.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I had this issue when I first started to ride and found that by mentally linking 'shifting into second and then canceling signal' on turns worked for me. Now it is ingrained and I don't think about it anymore. Sometimes I end up cancelling before the turn is completely finished, but not a problem.
best bet

1 - 15 of 15 Posts