1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts

·
Original Pirate Material
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, well, besides the Gixxif, there really hasn't been anything for 4 years. I think the tail section on the new Gixxif is a real miss
A bit small for a tail bag. Maybe they'll figure out a low-profile rack for it at some point. Regardless, I still think the front is a bit butt-ugly, but then I shouldn't comment as the N1k isn't a looker either.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
^^^ is that the Ventura rack?

·
9,052 Posts
^^^ is that the Ventura rack?
Yup, Ventura rack (the smaller sport rack). Sold my GIVI saddlebags bags and brackets to a fellow in Chicago last summer. Hated the look on the bike, limited my leg movement, awkward to open and close on the bike, clunky to move in and out of a motel room, weren't water-tight, constantly kicking them when high kicking over the bike, bla bla bla. TMR turned my on to a simple tail rack and dry bag system. Some commitment to packing light, plus planning one load of laundry/dryer on a trip, and I can do a 5 day 3500km trip with everything I need in a 25L dry bag. On and off in 10 seconds, everything dry, weighs nothing, and doesn't get in the way at all.

Picked up this First Gear Drypac 25L from 2nd Gear. Works like a charm. The top loading feature is a huge advantage when you want to get at stuff while on the bike, and makes for easy access in a motel room.

To be honest, I could get away with a 20L top load drybag, but just can't find one

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I can do a 5 day 3500km trip with everything I need in a 25L dry bag.
I admire your rigour in your packing. Me, especially when I'm out solo and 'long', I take more stuff - tools, laptop, sometimes a mesh jacket, etc. And I like the security of hard luggage. So it's side cases and top-box for me, mostly.

There was recently discussion on the CB1000R forum about the new GSX-S1000, which a couple guys have moved over to. I'd consider it, but it's gotta be able to run luggage, for me. And in my mind, the nicest set-up these days is the new Shad 3P system: sweet looking side cases (SH36):

and a very simple rack system:

They don't make the system for the GSX-S, and they don't plan to ( I asked...), but with a bit of jiggery-pokery and welding, anything is possible - that's how I got Givi luggage on my CB, after all...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I admire your rigour in your packing. Me, especially when I'm out solo and 'long', I take more stuff - tools, laptop, sometimes a mesh jacket, etc. And I like the security of hard luggage. So it's side cases and top-box for me, mostly.

There was recently discussion on the CB1000R forum about the new GSX-S1000, which a couple guys have moved over to. I'd consider it, but it's gotta be able to run luggage, for me. And in my mind, the nicest set-up these days is the new Shad 3P system: sweet looking side cases (SH36):

and a very simple rack system:

They don't make the system for the GSX-S, and they don't plan to ( I asked...), but with a bit of jiggery-pokery and welding, anything is possible - that's how I got Givi luggage on my CB, after all...
i've actually been looking at that system. I can easily make/modify the mounts. However my exhaust turns up so quickly that it's going to hit the cases. :(

·
lover of twins
6,066 Posts
i've actually been looking at that system. I can easily make/modify the mounts. However my exhaust turns up so quickly that it's going to hit the cases. :(
what about designing the rack/mounts so that the cases sit at more of an angle or above the exhaust? or maybe this is an excuse for a new exhaust system too?

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
perhaps you should consider this system?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts