BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As with most of my bikes, I need to mod the suspension to suit my weight of 215lbs. The new 2014 ZX14R I picked up in October was no different. So after about a month of research in to Ohlins, Penske, and Nitron, I settled on Nitron. I like their build quality and the option to customize the shock to my liking, specifically shock length. While the 14 is a wonderful BFS (Big Fuckin' Sportbike), it does tend to steer a little slower than my other bikes, and will drag hard bits when dragging knee, so I wanted the option to adjust the rear ride height. On to Nitron......

Built in the UK, they offer to build the shock with anywhere between 12mm and 25mm of length adjustment. Some local racers, shops, ZX14 forums, and some geometry work, had me settle on one with 15mm of additional length over stock. One might think this extreme, but when considering my Ninja 1000 was dropped 6mm in the front and raised at least 5mm in the rear, and worked flawlessly, I figure it should work. What's nice, is the entire 15mm of extra length is all thread, so I can leave it stock length if I wanted.

I look at their US dealer, and with their Black Friday promotion, plus shipping, plus taxes at the border (I pretty much had to assume I was going to get nicked for taxes) it came out to $1710 CDN. That was a bit rich for me, and sent me down the path of looking for lower spec alternatives. I either got a lesser shock for the same money or a much lesser shock for a little less money. Ugh

I look at the exchange rates for the British Pound and Euro.....hmmm, looking good. I contact Nitron UK head Office and see if I can buy direct. "Nope, you must by from our NA distributor in the US". B.S. I say. I contact a UK Nitron Dealer and the deal is on!

I order it 3 weeks ago, it takes 2 weeks for Nitron to build the shock to my specs, and the dealer ships on Monday Dec 19th. They ship via Parcel Force which hands off to Canada Post (excellent). Tracking shows its in New West on Saturday the 24th. I call Canada Post and they say "Sorry, no deliveries today, we will deliver it on the 28th". Bummer

Noon Saturday the Canada Post truck pulls up across the street. "Could it be?" I say?. Sure enough he hands me the box, no taxes, no duties, no brokerage.

$1130 CDN in my hands versus $1710 from the US.

Nitro R2 with remote preload, remote Compression adjuster knob, rebound is on the shock. Thank you Santa!

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
That is a pretty piece of metal.

I've heard a lot of good things from British mags over the years about Nitron. I look forward to getting a Canadian review.

Doing anything to the front end?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Baller. A lot of the UK Tuono guys run Nitron or K-Tech. If i hadnt of gotten my Ohlins for so cheap, i would of gone one of those two ways.

A few more weeks and it will be time to load up trucks and head to SoCal ;)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
That is a pretty piece of metal.

I've heard a lot of good things from British mags over the years about Nitron. I look forward to getting a Canadian review.

Doing anything to the front end?
I got the base model for my Bandit. Great quality components, was sprung and valved exactly the way I ordered it.

Best thing about them is they are 100% rebuild able AND up-gradable. Want to move up to a remote preload adjuster at rebuild time? Extra couple of bills. Want a piggyback resevoir then? Yup, they can add that too.

Apparently a bunch of ex-Ohlins guys. It shows.

There are two US vendor threads on ADVrider with competitive pricing who will give you quotes and availability straightaway for your application.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
nice. cool that all the 'extra' is adjustable. never ending hours of adjustment fun. of course, it'd be better with a laptop, hehehe...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts