BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
To motard?
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The construction at the north end of the Lions Gate Bridge is almost complete and to my dismay they have not reinstated the "motorcycles OK" signs. I have to wonder why the motorcycle community is sitting back and letting this stuff happen. Does translink and the gov not understand that a motorcycle is better for congestion, emissions and parking space than a car? Shouldn't they encourage this kind of travel by letting us use the HOV lanes? I don't know who to petition but I think we should get together as a community and get them to reinstate our ability to use the HOV. I think all HOV's and bus lanes should be open to motorcycles because I think it makes sense.

Does anyone else have any ideas as to how to make this happen?

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
One would think this the perfect opportunity for BCOM to express positive thoughts and words towards Translink.

Steve

·
Registered
18,882 Posts
The construction at the north end of the Lions Gate Bridge is almost complete and to my dismay they have not reinstated the "motorcycles OK" signs. I have to wonder why the motorcycle community is sitting back and letting this stuff happen. Does translink and the gov not understand that a motorcycle is better for congestion, emissions and parking space than a car? Shouldn't they encourage this kind of travel by letting us use the HOV lanes? I don't know who to petition but I think we should get together as a community and get them to reinstate our ability to use the HOV. I think all HOV's and bus lanes should be open to motorcycles because I think it makes sense.

Does anyone else have any ideas as to how to make this happen?
Contact Adele at BCCOM or PM BCCOM.

·
Riff Raff
227 Posts

·
Ridin Dirty
5,011 Posts
You do not need the signs, Motorcycles are permitted in HOV lanes in this Province...... just use them.

My 2 cents, not intended to be legal advice.

·
Registered
18,882 Posts
You do not need the signs, Motorcycles are permitted in HOV lanes in this Province...... just use them.

I think you are right! Maybe the signs are just a bonus to remind motorcyclists it is okay.

·
Registered
271 Posts
As far as I know, the sign doesn't matter at all: motorcycles are always allowed in HOV lanes.

That said... north side of the lion's gate, isn't that lane a bus lane not an HOV lane?

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
That said... north side of the lion's gate, isn't that lane a bus lane not an HOV lane?
Correct - it is a bus lane and not an HOV lane. Bikes were allowed to use the bus lane pre-construction (it has always been a bus lane, never an HOV lane) - let's hope bike access is re-instated now that construction is finished.

·
Dam I got old fast
1,027 Posts
I was pulled over on west georgia by VPD for being in the hov and informed that in vancouver motorcycles were not allowed in hov lanes unlike richmond, delta, burnaby, northvan..
He let me off with a verbal warning but said next time it would be a ticket after I said I assumed HOV were ok for me like in richmond
I phoned vancouver city hall and was redirected to engineering and traffic management who told me motorcycles were not considered HOV eligible vehicles.
This was just past where pender merges in to west georgia not at the beginning of the causeway where the HOV ends and the bus only access ramp is specified.
I consider this a money pit for VPD as every municipality around vancouver allows motorcycles in HOV so you think it's OK untill you get lit-up.

·
To motard?
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I was wrong in that it is now a bus lane. They use the North American standard symbol for HOV as a lane sign thus my confusion. It's funny that they don't allow vanpool(6+people) anymore either. All the signage is up so I am sure they are not planning on adding it later.

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
I was pulled over on west georgia by VPD for being in the hov and informed that in vancouver motorcycles were not allowed in hov lanes unlike richmond, delta, burnaby, northvan..
He let me off with a verbal warning but said next time it would be a ticket after I said I assumed HOV were ok for me like in richmond
I phoned vancouver city hall and was redirected to engineering and traffic management who told me motorcycles were not considered HOV eligible vehicles.
This was just past where pender merges in to west georgia not at the beginning of the causeway where the HOV ends and the bus only access ramp is specified.
I consider this a money pit for VPD as every municipality around vancouver allows motorcycles in HOV so you think it's OK untill you get lit-up.
When you consider the current 'personality' of Van city hall, this is not suprising. Yet, riders of electric motor scooters continue to have free rein to operate without regard to traffic signals or signs, ride on sidewalks, ride at top speed along bicycle and pedestrian walkways, I'm just glad I don't reside in Van city proper!

Steve

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
From what I see here and have been told previously motorcycles are allowed. I will call later today to inquire regarding signage.

Travel Info:

Ride-Share and then take Transit!
Ride-Share to a TransLink Park-and-Ride!

HOV Lanes

HOV = "High Occupancy Vehicle"

Vehicles with 3 or more passengers can use the following lanes:
Westbound-southbound bus lane, Marine Drive interchange, north end of Lions Gate Bridge, North Vancouver.
•Eastbound-southbound queue jumper lane, Marine Drive interchange, north end of Lions Gate Bridge, North Vancouver.
•Route 7 westbound bus lanes, between Harris Road and Dewdney Trunk road, Pitt Meadows.
• Route 99 southbound bus lane, between Westminster Highway interchange and Steveston highway interchange, Richmond.
•Route 99 northbound bus lane, located at route 17/99/River Road interchange, Delta.
•Route 17 northbound bus lanes, between route 10 (Ladner Trunk Road) and route 17/99/River Road interchange, Delta.

PLEASE BE ADVISED that Vancouver's Hastings Street HOV Lanes are now Bus and Bike ONLY lanes -- there are no longer carpool/ride-share lanes. However, there are still HOV lanes on Hastings-Barnet, east of Boundary Road.

Occupancy Requirements:

Roadway

Occupancy

Trans Canada

Burnaby/Coquitlam

2+

Barnet Hastings

Burnaby

2+

Hastings

Vancouver

2+ (bus/bike only)

Highway 99

Delta

Bus and 3+

Pitt River Bridge

Pitt Meadows

3+

Highway 17

Delta

Bus and 3+

Granville Street

Vancouver

3+

Georgia Street

Vancouver

3+

Lions Gate Bridge

Vancouver

Bus and 3+ Queue Jumpers

McGill Street

Vancouver

Bus Only

Mountain Highway

North Vancouver

Bus Only

To use HOV lanes properly, you need the required minimum number of vehicle occupants and you need to know how to operate safely in the lanes - in the city and on the freeway. For more information, please contact: Ministry of Transportation and Highways (604) 660-3897.

Reminder: Law enforcement agencies are taking the occupancy rules seriously. Violators will receive $112.00 fines and two penalty points on their drivers' licenses.

Traffic Cams

B.C. Highway Cams
Vancouver Cams & Road Work

Road Conditions

Drive B.C.
Gateway Program
Vancouver Cams & Road Work

Transportation Links
AutoObesity
B.E.S.T.
BC Ferries
BC Transit Victoria
Coast Mountain Bus Co.
Cooperative Auto Network
Go-Green Choices
One Day Vancouver
Scrap it program
The Company Car
TransLink
TransLink: Onboard Program
Victoria Car Share Co-op
West Coast Express

Sponsored by The Jack Bell Foundation
Funding from TransLink and BC Transit

Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Operated by Pathway Intelligence Inc.

·
To motard?
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with the VPD moneypit comment as that's exactly what the West Vancouver PD is doing as we speek. A fellow commuter took the bus lane at north end LGB as we used to be able to do and almost got a ticket. The officer aparently didn't understand that it used to be ok to take it on a motorcycle.

I'll have to contact Adele about this issue and also the Vancouver HOV issue. Maybe if all the riders got together we could get a bc wide standard of letting bikes ride everywhere they use the HOV symbol(white diamond)

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
I hate to tell you guys but it's not a money pit for the PD, it is for city hall.

But hey, just shoot the messenger.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wait, what? This is the only source I can find and it's pretty explicit that motorcycles are considered HOV.
http://vancouver.ca/CTYCLERK/newsreleases/NRmotorcycleHOVlane.htm

·
lover of twins
6,102 Posts
1. call city hall and find out.
2. get them to email/fax you something that says it's ok
3. ride hov lanes
4. profit
5. pull out said confirmation if you get pulled over.
6. laugh in cop's face as you ride away - double profit!

·
Registered
891 Posts

That's what I thought to. Some HOV lanes doesn't even have "Motorcycles OK" signs, but I'm sure the ICBC Driver's Ed says that motorcycles are allowed on all of them.

·
Registered
695 Posts
[I'm sure the ICBC Driver's Ed says that motorcycles are allowed on all of them./QUOTE] Quote from ICBC's Road sense for Riders "Motorcycles may also travel in HOV lanes. Watch for "Motorcycles OK" " This implyes that there must be a sign "Motorclcles OK" to travel in the lane.

·
Fuh-coffee we will go
3,776 Posts
1. call city hall and find out.
2. get them to email/fax you something that says it's ok
3. ride hov lanes
4. profit
5. pull out said confirmation if you get pulled over.
6. get tasered for lipping back to an officer
:laughing there, fixed it for you

·
++++++
382 Posts
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding within the VPD too. I talked with two motorcycle cops yesterday at Denman and Georgia. They said all HOV lanes are motorcycle friendly but that bus lanes are not, unless there is a "motorcycle okay" sign attached to it. I specifically asked if I could ride in the HOV lane along Georgia and was told it would be okay up until Denman, at which point we all know it turns into a Bus only lane.

He also told me, however, that if I did find myself "stuck" in a bus lane, it should stick in it until the dotted white lines; the excuse "I couldn't get out of the bus lane on account of the solid white" apparently supersedes "I crossed the white line to get out of the bus lane".

And on a second note, did anyone read in the paper about Robertson's "green manifesto"? Is our mayor on drugs? He's already attempted to ruin our city with the riots and now he wants to start charging me for: a) how many km a year I ride my bike, b) using my own parking space at my own freaking home, c) riding across any bridge in the lower mainland...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts