1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Police probe '25 and Home' traffic ticket quota

Last Updated: Friday, December 15, 2006 | 9:00 AM ET
CBC News

A ticket quota scheme involving police officers at a Rexdale station who were allowed to go home early after writing 25 traffic tickets is being investigated by senior management.

The "25 and Home policy" came to light Wednesday during an unrelated police disciplinary hearing for one of the officers at 23 Division.

Insp. Kimberley Greenwood of 23 Division has decided to look into whether officers who left early under the policy continued to bill for hours remaining on their shifts.

Earlier this week, the inspector insisted officers used hours from their banked leave.

Police management have known about the policy for more than a year and say they quashed the quota in 2005.

The policy was made public at a disciplinary hearing for a 30-year veteran of the force, Sgt. David Deviney, whose relationship with his commander broke down after he complained about the policy.

Requests for comment from internal affairs and police Chief Bill Blair's office have been repeatedly turned down by Toronto police media relations.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
I may be wrong, but information I have been given says that they include what they plan on bringing in from fines in their budgets. The end of the month madness is no joke. They have to make budget.

G

·
one week ticket blitz last week - 8000 tickets written.

the majority of that was on the granville corridor.

i swear a saw a news conference a while ago where police said they were giving up on everything but the most severe offenses. we must have some really shitty drivers in bc. really.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
police said they were giving up on everything but the most severe offenses. we must have some really shitty drivers in bc. really.
so this is why everyone runs yellows and reds and pedestrians begin to saunter across a six lane road as the walk signal turns to a solid do not walk.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have been to Mexico, EU, Australia and China. The driving in all of these places was resonable except in China, red lights ment nothing, people would make a right hand turn on a red without even looking at the oncoming traffic. It was maddening.

I went to leave the house today and the traffic light was out, meaning it would be a 4 way stop, so I pull up, 3 asians blew right through the light, and looked right at me, finally a fellow about 35yo stopped and I saw one more asian run in the other lane, and an older lady finally stopped in the other lane making it safe for me to go.
Dont get me wrong I dont have a problems with asians, but they should not be allowed to drive for a couple generations after coming here and getting accustom to our driving rules.

·
Life is Good!
336 Posts
I have been to Mexico, EU, Australia and China. The driving in all of these places was resonable except in China, red lights ment nothing, people would make a right hand turn on a red without even looking at the oncoming traffic. It was maddening.

I went to leave the house today and the traffic light was out, meaning it would be a 4 way stop, so I pull up, 3 asians blew right through the light, and looked right at me, finally a fellow about 35yo stopped and I saw one more asian run in the other lane, and an older lady finally stopped in the other lane making it safe for me to go.
Dont get me wrong I dont have a problems with asians, but they should not be allowed to drive for a couple generations after coming here and getting accustom to our driving rules.

real talk right there, how can they drive in our country if they can not understand the fucking english language !!!

·
coco bongo
1,003 Posts
they're getting in trouble because of quotas.

so not only are quotas a thing that isnt good, its a thing that can get u in trouble

·
DPT Downtown Poser Team
1,148 Posts
fuck the pigs and fuck their quotas! you govt lack of budget so you should issue quotas on tickets? what the fuck!?

·
And shepherds we shall be
2,941 Posts
listen folks, even if there is no official "quota", a cop that writes 5 ticket in a month compared to an average of lets say 50(random number), will be looked at by his shift supervisor. Questions will be asked and the supervisor will wonder if the guy is doing his job or not.

easy answer is to give more tickets, so the guy can look like a "good hard working cop".

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
So some dirty cops are being investigated, and this is somehow cause for a conspiracy alert? Thanks Rad, I didn't realize there were dirty cops out there.

Lizard something said:
Saying "I don't have a problem with asians" and then saying "they" shouldn't be allowed to drive is kinda contradictory.

I agree that I see some asians who are clueless behind the wheel. But I see a lot of ******* too. Near Lougheed Mall, it appears that all the white 16-35 year olds in their pickup trucks were taught that light out = put it to the floor.

·
Ride Solo
4,219 Posts
real talk right there, how can they drive in our country if they can not understand the fucking english language !!!
So, you don't think you'd be able to drive in a country where the language was something other than English? That's sad.

When I drive in Richmond, I see plenty of lousy Asian drivers. Hmmm, maybe because there are more Asian people driving in Richmond? I don't find the drivers in Chilliwack to be any better, so I guess we can add Dutch farmers to the list of hazardous road users. :rolleyes

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I say we do away with tickets and just give warnings...

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
And if you get 3 warnings from the same cop they get to stick their thumb up your ass right there on the roadside.....

·
Crotch Rocket Scientist
929 Posts
So some people say they don't believe it's race specific and you still fly off the handle? Take a pill, dude.

I don't believe the bad driving is race-specific. The driver's tests are offered in nine languages I believe but the people taking are required to identify the common road signs.

Really though - with what we see people doing everyday, cops could be writing tix from dawn to dusk everyday without getting 1% of the violations anyway. Who cares if they have quotas or not? There's no shortage of tix to write.

Blitzes like the Granville Corridor or Knight Street Bridge are often initiated by requests from the city, ICBC or initiated within the police force itself to tackle a perceived problem or reduce climbing accident rates.

·
I make grown adults cry!
344 Posts
This just goes to show that the role of traffic enforcement has shifted from being aimed at actual road safety to simply revenue generation by user fees.

We can count on, every couple of years, the Attorney General and / or the Solicitor General, making a big deal at a press conference, trying their hardest to look angry, indignant and full of resolve. They'll claim how they're "getting tough" on dangerous drivers. Then, the fines go up.

The clear reality here is that fines aren't working in actually making roads safer. I understand and agree with the idea of using fines as an initial deterrance penalty, but where they become like they are now, it's clear that fines are appropriate for the first or maybe second offence.

As well, higher fines for higher speeds makes less sense in this light: You aren't trying to raise money for the government, you're trying to make people drive safely. Raise the penalty, sure, but make the penalty non-monetary in nature.

I'd suggest that if you made the first ticket in a five year period a nominal fine(~$100), then the second ticket a nominal fine plus a 24 hour roadside suspension, then the third ticket another nominal fine and a 6 month suspension. A fourth ticket means a five year driving ban(No fines).

Excessive speeds mean that you jump two spaces on the ladder and add in a legislative authority for any vehicle operated by a prohibited driver can be forfieted to the Crown to offset costs and you've got a workable system that takes the truly insane off the road.

G

·
even simpler: tie tickets into insurance. more tickets, higher risk, higher premiums.

penalty point premiums are only good for the period they are accumulated in. it's a one shot deal. tying tickets to insurance lets the premium increase for however long is desired.. ie: in line with your discount. losing 15% of your discount over 3 years will probably hurt a ton more, and you have to earn your discount back.

it's done this way in private insurance.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts