BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ride starts after a day long drone to Grants Pass, considering transporting the bike to there. try for 4 full ride days in Cali with a focus on twisties. 300-500 kms a day the roads will be tight and some are in rough shape, Paved mountain trails type roads. ride is dependent on the fire situation as hwy 96 has restricted access at this time. If there is any interest from this site will figure out a route. My first choice for day 1.

https://goo.gl/maps/uoB7ckSdYPw

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
an excellent day 1, sir!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can understand that new home owner and all. There is always next year. Found a spot to park the truck in Grant Pass. another rider to split the rooms would be good too.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Damn that day 1 looks juicy....I havent been to cali on two wheels for far far far too long....not able to make this one though. Safe travels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That looks interesting. Too bad its a busy time at work the next few weeks.
I spent years riding the backroads of California but none that far north.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn that day 1 looks juicy....I havent been to cali on two wheels for far far far too long....not able to make this one though. Safe travels.
Too bad I really enjoyed chasing you around down in Oregon this summer. I dont think my GS enjoyed that ride as much as i did.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That looks interesting. Too bad its a busy time at work the next few weeks.
I spent years riding the backroads of California but none that far north.
If your on a 690 it be a perfect bike for the roads I have in mind. Longer suspension travel the better the brand new Diavel that joined me last year had carbon fiber parts crackin up from the beating. Ducati did cover the repairs

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
If your on a 690 it be a perfect bike for the roads I have in mind. Longer suspension travel the better the brand new Diavel that joined me last year had carbon fiber parts crackin up from the beating. Ducati did cover the repairs
I don't have that bike anymore. Riding a Hypermotard now, which may be even more suited. That's a long haul and I don't currently have a means trucking my bike to the starting point. Its kind of short notice to pull everything together but I'll have a better idea by Saturday if its doable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice route for day 1. I just did some of that route in August, and Greyback Rd was great.

Not sure if you know this, but wanted to share just in case. We missed this just by a day, but a portion of Hwy 36 is closed just east of Bridgeville during the day, except for the noon hour. Here is the notice.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/display.php?page=sr36

We did Hwy 36 from Red Bluff, and they had warnings from there of the closure. If you hit it after 5 pm, then no biggy.

Have a safe trip.

Brad

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice route for day 1. I just did some of that route in August, and Greyback Rd was great.

Not sure if you know this, but wanted to share just in case. We missed this just by a day, but a portion of Hwy 36 is closed just east of Bridgeville during the day, except for the noon hour. Here is the notice.

Thanks for the heads up i did not know about this construction on hwy 36. Last year it was hwy 299 that had numerous gravel sections due to construction. Gravel was no biggie for me but caused the Diavel a lot of stress. Think we had delays at 3 different spots that put a damper on that days ride.
Looks like one could take Alderpoint road to Zenia and back up to Mad River as a bumpy detour. Did Alderpoint road last year and made a note not to do it solo again as it was a little sketchy. Burt out cars all along that road probably not an ideal spot to break down solo hence me being on here lookin for some company. I really like exploring out of the way roads between the primo twistie spots. Mattole road is going to be the appetizer for hwy 1 on day 2.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have that bike anymore. Riding a Hypermotard now, which may be even more suited. That's a long haul and I don't currently have a means trucking my bike to the starting point. Its kind of short notice to pull everything together but I'll have a better idea by Saturday if its doable.[/QUOTE]

I have an old pickup that will make haul to Grants Pass and a private residence to to park it has been offered. At this point im still solo on this ride and if i dont find some company may just put it off till next year. Im now out of province till the 27th so I would be a busy guy to get south of the border by the 28th.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like NorCal is on hold till next year had to work a few extra days and there being no interest in the ride. I,m not keen on riding backroads solo so will be riding local for the next week. will see if plan B lives up to what plan A was going to be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like NorCal is on hold till next year had to work a few extra days and there being no interest in the ride. I,m not keen on riding backroads solo so will be riding local for the next week. will see if plan B lives up to what plan A was going to be.
The timing didn't work for me. But if you're up for a more local ride on Saturday before you park it for the winter let me know.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[IMQUOTE=690moto;2618009]The timing didn't work for me. But if you're up for a more local ride on Saturday before you park it for the winter let me know.[/QUOTE]

I have to be in Kelowna tomorrow so next time thanks thou.
I,m not all that bummed about not riding NorCal this year with the construction on Hwy 36,299 and the huge fire along hwy 96 all the good connector roads would of been a slow go.
My plan B turned out great put in 3 local rides this week that were just as challenging as any ride south of the border could barley lift my arms this morning! Looks like the weather is turning the pavement on the Duffey had some cold and clammy spots yesterday but the 12 was a ripper. Hope you find some sticky pavement tomorrow.:)

Yesterday
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
Actually, I did 36/299 last week and while there were about 5 constructions zones, we were able to ride to the front every time, yielding nothing but empty road for hours. Didn't hear one grumble about the stops. Only grumble I did hear was "More turns? Really? This is insane!"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts