BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know!
support your local dealers. there i said it. so no one else has to.

I just wanted to know if anyone here has ordered parts from online suppliers (especially cycle-parts.com, or ronayers.com)

i really do want to support my dealer, but for a savings of around 3-400 bucks it seems a little ridiculous. Plus I already found all of the part numbers, so its not like its labour intensive for them.

Other than the hassle of receiving the wrong parts, anything else i should be considering as a con to this route?

How much duty should i expect to pay?

Is it worth it to ship just south of the border and bring across by hand, or courier? (other than UPS. how is fedex for brokerage fees?)

Any experiences or suggestions, or other dealers close to the kootenays worth calling would be appreciated.

cheers

·
Registered
342 Posts
dradonich said:
I know!
support your local dealers. there i said it. so no one else has to.

I just wanted to know if anyone here has ordered parts from online suppliers (especially cycle-parts.com, or ronayers.com)

i really do want to support my dealer, but for a savings of around 3-400 bucks it seems a little ridiculous. Plus I already found all of the part numbers, so its not like its labour intensive for them.

Other than the hassle of receiving the wrong parts, anything else i should be considering as a con to this route?

How much duty should i expect to pay?

Is it worth it to ship just south of the border and bring across by hand, or courier? (other than UPS. how is fedex for brokerage fees?)

Any experiences or suggestions, or other dealers close to the kootenays worth calling would be appreciated.

cheers
I purchased a one piece leather motorcycle suit from ridegear.com...saved around $400.00CAN. Then several weeks later found a deal on Boots....saved $100.00CAN. I had everything shipped to Bellingham.

So for about 4 hours of my time I saved $500 canadian after tax dollars....that's like I was being paid around $160 an hour. :rockon

Brokerage fee's are outrageous!!! It's better to pickup the items up in person.
You can find duty rates here:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/publications/tariff2006/01-99-1-e.pdf

Some examples:
Motorcycle Tires: No duty
Exhaust: 6% duty
Oil filter: 3.5% duty
Air filter: 2.5% duty

·
yorkshire sheep shagger
535 Posts
Ship it to Blaine to the following

Blaine Enterprises
936 Peace Portal Dr.
Blaine WA 98230
Phone (360) 332-6825

Its about 1/2 Km after the Peace Arch crossing on your left, they charge $2:00/Item picked up. You DO NOT pay duty on motorcycle parts no matter which country they were manufactured in, this only applies to parts such as tires, you do have to pay the GST though. Clothing & accessories you will get dinged for duty and GST.
I can vouch for the guys at Blaine Enterprises Iv'e shipped all kinds of bike parts through them. I picked up a pair of front brake rotors there yesyerday that I bought on Ebay, I picked afront wheel up there last Saturday for my sons dirt bike. Just remember to take a receipt for the border guards coming back into Canada, don't bullshit em, tell em what you picked up & sometimes they let you through with no charges, I got my rotors through yesterday scott free. If you buy on Ebay, print out your Paypal receipt, this is good enough for the border boys.

Oh I nearly forgot, make sure your name is on any package sent to Blaine Enterprises, so they know who's is who's as that place is packed to the ceiling with packages. Stuff boaught on Ebay usually shows up there within a week.

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
Keep in mind that they'll usually want you to pay by credit card and they'll want to only send to the same address as your billing address. In that case, you'll be getting raped by courier shipping charges and brokerage when it gets to you. Sometimes it's worth it when there's a problem with availability here but it's usually around the same price after all the hassle. Unless you can't get it local or it's a relatively expensive item with a big difference in price (hundreds) buy local. I've done both and it really isn't worth it a lot of the time.

·
Formerly kanelupis
5,252 Posts
made a purchase recently with wareagle-racing.com

They do fairings, cheap ones at that.

I shipped it to a Blain Washington address (it's 7 mins from peace arch)

What I hate, is that I've waited 4 weeks for them, when they should've been 2 weeks.

·
yorkshire sheep shagger
535 Posts
gixxstar said:
Keep in mind that they'll usually want you to pay by credit card and they'll want to only send to the same address as your billing address. In that case, you'll be getting raped by courier shipping charges and brokerage when it gets to you. Sometimes it's worth it when there's a problem with availability here but it's usually around the same price after all the hassle. Unless you can't get it local or it's a relatively expensive item with a big difference in price (hundreds) buy local. I've done both and it really isn't worth it a lot of the time.

I called my credit card company & explained to them I wanted stuff shipping to a U.S. address, no problem for them to add a 2nd address (non billing) to your credit card. If you use Paypal, you can have it shipped to any address as they are a middle man, once you have your paypal account set up you can enter new shipping addresses as required. I never buy local, always on the net, usually through the US, but also get stuff form the UK (hugger) & from Hong Kong, funny thing is, I get stuff shipped to my home address from any other country except the U.S. & they never ding me duty/handling fees/ taxes etc, no one is checking if you go outside the US to do your shopping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts