BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
''Tis the season it would seem. I just had my closest call ever this last week. Locked the rear, tucked the front a bit but kept it up and it wasn't some miniature deer like those, full grown okanagan deer. Hate To even say it and feel kind of stupid too, but it was exhilarating that close of a call. Thought I had hit it, or brushed it, couldn't believe I got off Scott free.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
That is a big fear of mine. I've hit deer and moose with vehicles. On two wheels survival is unlikely.

I avoid riding early mornings and evenings. The buggers are everywhere at dusk around here. When I do Green mountain its mid afternoon.

I've had close ones on bikes but always had time to react. My closest call was with a freaking raven appearing out of nowhere at head height. Turned my head and closed my eyes out of reflex. That big bugger would have taken me right off the bike.
You gotta love adrenaline!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Scary, for sure. Those buggers are so unpredictable. I wasn't so lucky 3 years ago, of course, but I survived! Hasn't changed my riding, I don't think - the hazard is there, and you do what you can to minimize it, but at some level, you simply have to accept it, or quit!

·
Registered
614 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Know the risks, but don't ride with fear. I commute so am often riding at dawn or dusk or nighttime. When riding everyday you start to notice the seasonal changes of animal movements in relation to temp, time(light) of day etc. Adjust your riding accordingly or accept the risk.

I find riding/risk a bit conflicting. I ride daily usually, about 12k so far this year. So the more I ride presumably the more risk I expose myself to but adversely I feel like my skill set and reflexes become more highly tuned as well. Not trying to sound cocky at all but I was pretty impressed with my emergency braking in that situation and when I felt the front end starting to tuck I released the brakes some instead of clamping down. Still I know I got lucky. Nothing wrong with some good luck! I always remind myself to not become complacent or overconfident. But basically I'm riding all the time. Could count on one hand the amount of times I've been on four wheels in the last month or two maybe.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
ABS, Squisher?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts