BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how often do you guys/gals change your oil? I'm running semi-synthetic and nearing the 3000km mark.....is it time to change it yet?

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
6000 or 6 months (whatever comes first) is what most manuals recommend. I did mine at 5200, and i'm approachin 11,000 really quick so i'm gonna do mine again next month sometime.

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
motul semi-synthetic. the motul stuff you see in all the local bike shops.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
MaRR, check with your shop before going to any kind if synthetic, they usually recommend you wait until the bike is really broken in. I did my last oil change at 3k and was told to stick to normal oil for that change, then at my next one I could go to synthetic. :)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I change every 3,000km. Right now I'm using Pennzoil mineral oil because it's too new to use synthetic yet. I'll switch to Honda Gold Label semi-synth at about 9,000km, and if I keep the bike long enough, go to full synth by about 24,000km

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vrecksler said:
MaRR, check with your shop before going to any kind if synthetic, they usually recommend you wait until the bike is really broken in. I did my last oil change at 3k and was told to stick to normal oil for that change, then at my next one I could go to synthetic. :)
thanks for the input...guess I should've been a bit more clear...I'm nearing 3000km on this oil....not the bike. Trust me...it's broken in just fine :D

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've spoken with a few service managers and the general consensus is that full synthetic is overkill for the street. Are there any advantages to Full synthetic oils? I believe you can extend your oil change intervals a little longer with semi or full synthetic oil.

I've got a bike with 40,000km's on it so I'll take any advantage I can get. I love hearing the stories of bikes hitting the 100,000km mark.

·
Registered
842 Posts
100,000 kms? It's not uncommon for Guzzis to hit 100,000 miles with just regular services. Same with a well taken care of Japanese bike.

I know a guy with a 1200 Gold Wing with 260,000 kms on it.

I don't bother with synthetic any more. I just change my oil at half the recommended intervals and always install a new filter. I do hardly any city riding and that's the worst punishment for an engine.

A

·
0 Posts
oil changes?

I`m sure I`m alone here but I change my oil and filter every 8-10K with Motul.The most mileage I`ve had on a bike using this interval was 74,308km on a 1983 Suzuki 750 Katana.......ken.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Wow, that's a tonne of mileage. What ended up happening to that bike?

Is there a mechanical reason you didn't just keep going with it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts