BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Sex Appeal
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rtfm

this sucked balls!

i had to remove the damn left cowl just to get to the damn filter properly and drain the damn oil, omg 3 hours later i put the cowl back on and replace the oil, i think i rather spend the 80$ and get someone to do it for me lol.

the changing oil part was easy as pie, but put that god damn mofo cowl back on took so much time and effort to get it back on properly.

all in all i saved 80 bucks.. kinda mor elike 55, after buying all the oil and crap like that, but yah i did it never changed the oil in a car ever, but i did on my bike :D and it runs nicely

·
Registered
495 Posts
What are you changing oil on? If it's an F4i as per your avatar you are going about this way more difficult than you need to be. It should only take about ten minutes to do.

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
I'm guessing it's your first time changing the oil yourself on that bike? First time or two is always slow for me. After that I'm comfortable with the procedure, I know what to do and how to do it, and it goes relatively quick.

Next time will be better :thumbup

C

·
0 Posts
keep doing it yourself it's too easy to pay someone to do.. and expensive, even doing it yourself is like 50+ bucks (if you use a decent oil).

·
Registered
401 Posts
gixxer6 said:
What are you changing oil on? If it's an F4i as per your avatar you are going about this way more difficult than you need to be. It should only take about ten minutes to do.
You are forgetting that not all bikes are like GSX-R's. Just because we don't have to take off our fairing doesn't mean the rest of the biking world doesn't have to. But it is nice though. Remy, if you don't have a bike stand, buy one. It will make doing these kind of things that much easier.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
The first couple changes always take longer. I've got it down to a science on my bike now. I can be done and back together in 20 minutes, if I need to rush it.

·
V Lister
4,277 Posts
i agree with the others, keep doing it, and you'll get more efficient at doing the oil changes. while you are saving some money, it also gives you hands on experience with your bike, and its also a good time to look things over.

·
Registered
495 Posts
GSXRBUbba said:
You are forgetting that not all bikes are like GSX-R's. Just because we don't have to take off our fairing doesn't mean the rest of the biking world doesn't have to. But it is nice though. Remy, if you don't have a bike stand, buy one. It will make doing these kind of things that much easier.
Bubba your forgeting that I have to service the F4i the wife rides and your right the gsxr is much more service friendly.

·
Registered
401 Posts
gixxer6 said:
Bubba your forgeting that I have to service the F4i the wife rides and your right the gsxr is much more service friendly.
Right, totally forgot.:banghead

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
That's inhuman. Was the engineer drunk on sake that day, or what?

·
Sex Appeal
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hahha yah

i guess it should get easier over time, just the first time really just turned me off of chaning oil on my bike lol, but yah ill probably keep doing it my self.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
You don't have to remove the fairings to change the oil on a F4i.

Get an oil filter socket that attaches to a socket wrench (with an extender) to remove the filter from the front. Before you remove the filter, place some aluminum foil under it to create a "funnel" to keep oil from dripping onto the pipes and the inside bottom of your fairings.

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
If you used the search function you would have stumbled upon TeeTees famouse aluminum foil trick. It would have taken you 10 - 15 minutes tops.

·
Sex Appeal
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yah i realized i could do that after i took the fairing off, i was like.. well if the filter is there... why would i take of the fairing, but i dont have the proper tools to do it, :S like the oil wrench,

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
You don't need an oil filter wrench, just strong hands. The filters come off with a little good ol fashion elbow grease

D

·
0 Posts
Buy a set of DZUS locks/screws, makes taking the fairings off a lot easier and I'm sure at some point you're going to need to do it for reasons other than an oil change anyways :) I've got them on my 900RR and they save me a bit of time taking off the fairings..

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
An oil filter wrench is a good investment. It will pay for itself quickly from the money you save doing your own oil changes. They make it easier to remove the filter since the area is a little tight with the pipes and a bit of a reach. If your hands are even a bit oily, forget it.

You can pick one up from any Honda dealership for your bike but I think Canadian Tire might have them too. Just make sure you get a metal one and stay away from the plastic ones.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
I like the plastic. Way tougher to overtighten. Can't get the old one off you say? Just fold a slip of sandpaper, and put it between the wrench and filter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts