BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 99gsxr 600. And the manual says 10/40. I went and put in 5/30 synethic. Did I just wreck my bike. I feel so stupid.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Probably no harm done.
merely drain it out, replace the oil and oil filter.
Should be fine.....I know of a couple of motorcycles that suggest 5/30 for "cold weather," operation....
And, if you're "fooked," at least we all heard about it here!

L

·
0 Posts
Im sure 5/30 is not goin to hurt your bike for the next 4-5K Kms ...then go back to the recommended weight .....dont loose any sleep over it ...

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
That should be fine. Also, keep in mind that synthetic oils are traditionally 'thinner' than conventional oils as well.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
I guess the biggest factor would be the hot properties of the oil ie. Xw40 vs a Xw30....the 30 acting as a thicker oil at running temps.

Who knows, you might even see a slight improvement in mileage and/or power becase of the better sealing abiities of the thicker oil, but then again, a slight power loss in the upper RPM range due to viscosity restrictions.

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
5/30 is usally a car oil, and it's not going to wreck your bike but i'd drain it out and refill with 10/40 motorcycle oil.

car oils tend to make clutches slip, but it might work for your 'none' sport bike.

spend the $$$ on the proper oil. I've tried the 15W50 mobil 1 stuff before and motul or amsoil still runs better.

·
Unregistered User
192 Posts
REVELATIONS said:
I guess the biggest factor would be the hot properties of the oil ie. Xw40 vs a Xw30....the 30 acting as a thicker oil at running temps.
I believe it's the other way around. the lower the number, the thinner the oil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I rode it home and drained the oil. Oil filter was brand new so i didn't chance that. I put back in the normal requirments. jeez lesson learned:rockon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts