• Better Suit

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It dawned on me. I'm going to crash when I go racing / track days / what have you. Do you think it's worth it to spend the coin on a good suit (ie. Spyke T-Shield), or go with something cheaper to begin with (more likely to crash at the beginning?)

·
resident monkey boy
806 Posts
the way i see is, can you really put a price on your safety? what you pay is kinda what you get and i took my advice from Dat at Action and he has raced and ridden for 18+ years

·
Registered
634 Posts
if anything, the likelyhood of crashing more would be a case for the more expensive leathers. You dont want anything ripping at the seams or not protecting you when you go down.

-arai-

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
I selected the 'Better Suit', but think you may get more support for spending less cash if you called it an 'Inexpensive Suit'.

To me, cheap refers to a quality issue, whereas inexpensive means price. You can get a good quality suit for less if you are not paying for a name. :)

Unless you meant cheap, in which case, What are you thinking?! ;)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well put vrecksler.

The reality is that one suit is about $2000 and the other about $1300. I'm sure they're both great suits, but you and I both know I'm not paying $700 for a name when they're both fine Italian brands (Spidi & Spyke). So it really does boil down to 'cheap' and 'not so cheap'. ;)

To clarify a little, I'm looking at:

Spyke T-Shield:
http://www.spyke.it/inglese/tshie_c.htm

Spidi Hook:
http://www.spidi.it/ (I can't link directly to it because it's a JAVA based page, but just select HOOK PROFESSIONAL).

·
Registered
634 Posts
well in that case they're both sweet suits. You and your new suit, new leather set, new race bike woes... I feel sorry for you, having to make all these hard decisions :rolleyes

:D

-arai-

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Safety first.....and theres nothing to be ashamed of about battle scars on the leathers. :D

·
space for sale
501 Posts
I have a spidi suit and my girlfriend has a spyke suit. Guess who's is tearing apart first? Both suits are made very well (italian), and I'd say that they are equal in quality. Spidi suits are very well known in the states, and very exclusive in canada.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
VANSON....I wish they come out with a Eddie Lawson replica....man green Vanson suit....drool...drool....slobber...

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I voted for cheaper for one reason. If you're already resigned to the fact they're going to be crashed in then why would you spend the extra coin for fashion? As long as the suit has either a "CE" rating (in the case of Euro made suits) or the US equivalent (what is it exactly?) then it should function the same as a $2000 Dainesse. A leather suit with armour that will protect you in a spill costs about $200-$300 to produce, so anything over $500 is just the premium for how much in demand it is. After all, you don't think it costs $200 to make a pair of Oakleys do you?

·
space for sale
501 Posts
you are welcome to come check out my spidi "fighter" suit anytime. Don't be mislead by the price. Everyone that has crashed in a spidi suit has been very happy with them. The reason I bought them is because my friend crashed in his spidi suit and looked like it could take 5 more.

My only gripe about the spyke suits are that they tear at the seams, especially the zippers. My gf's and a few i others I know of, have these problems.

·
Registered
725 Posts
This is the way i look at it, for starters both suits you have mentioned are really good suits, so i dont think the quality will be that much of an issue

good suits will show there worth during a crash , one you will be fine and two you will still be able to use the suit, a decent suit will be good for a couple of crashes, just ask tchan:) i think a decent suit will last at least 4-5 crashes and still provide excellent protection

personally i dont mind riding in crashed leathers, the poser factor doesnt mean too much to me, scuffed leathers show that you ride and dont just sit in coffee houses:)

just remember when you on the track and your FLASH, you have to back that up by being FAST

thats why im not flash:D

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya, I think the T-shield's a little flashy.. it's a really nice suit, and I'm gonna be SLOW as shit when I start racing.

·
Registered
725 Posts
im just kidding, man when people are out on the track they are usually to busy concentrating to notice what people are wearing

well at least us novices are, guys like taki can come pat you on the back mid corner, hmmm am i that slow:)

anyways i say buy what you want cause you are gonna be wearing it for a couple years, so make sure your happy

also crash scuffs are cool, they make a good conversasion piece and look cool at starbucks, haha

when i used to ride in the other suit, people would always ask, man what happened to you? haha

G

·
0 Posts
Truthfully, you'd have more of a chance crashing on the street than on track day. If you're going to spend money on a suit, your only suit, you might as well buy one that you like. Make sure it has adequate back protection. Most higher end suits now have back braces. Oh, and don't forget good foot protection.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts