BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was gonna be hot! Anyplace inland was O-U-T-! But what about the coast? For instance, while I’d ridden ‘the loop’, I hadn’t explored the various backroads on the Olympic Peninsula… never been to Neah Bay… never been up Hurrricane Ridge… so there was a plan.

Having made a decision – Thursday – I put out a few last-minute feelers, but – unsurprisingly – most people already had plans. However, Miles (milosovichy) thought he could get someone to cover work for him Sunday, so a 5 am start was agreed upon.

Turns out it takes less time in the early morning to get to the Fort Casey ferry than I reckoned, but that left time for a fine breakfast sandwich across the street at the local café before the 8:40 sailing.

Whidby Island morning

Back in the lineup, we fell into conversation with Brett, a retired fireman from San Francisco on an R1150RT who was on his way back from touring the interior of BC. Miles was gonna have to turn back at Port Angeles (work coverage fell thru), but Brett got coupled into ‘seeing’ Hwy 112 out thru Pysht before continuing south. And a fine ride it was…

After which Brett turned south, and I continued west towards Neah Bay. And to the short walk out to Cape Flattery. Great road; excellent scenery…

Clallam Bay

Cape Flattery

Hwy 112 east of Neah Bay

First sideroad: to Ozette Lake. Some nice scenery, but only a middling ride.

The on down south to Forks (89 F at 5pm), whence west again to the coast.

Rialto Beach

There was no place to stay in Forks (perhaps a blessing?), so I rode the hour back to Port Angeles. Nice along Crescent Lake, but a drone otherwise… and finding a room was big problem, altho I finally stumbled into a cancellation and after a nice planked salmon dinner I slept well. Just over 700kms...

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The idea for the second day was to ride Hurricane Ridge nice and early, to beat the traffic, then wander. Worked out fine: passed thru the entry station before 8 o’clock (not open yet, so no charge); passed two cars the entire trip up… Holy Hoses, what a ride! Took a few photos… A young fellow, Matt, from Langley, arrived… brand new FZ-07… his first bike (great choice)… 3000 kms in 3 weeks… off to ride the full Olympic circuit… excellent! Doubled back down, pretty fast; then back up again, quicker! Caught and passed two cars, again. There is a reason to get up early! And then went walking…

There’s a bike in there somewhere!

Then a final rip down. And went wandering… out around the shore at Dungeness and Sequim Bay.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z8Dm3mAE_66U.k4gUpXtmEN7k

Final drifting: every way to avoid Hwy 20 north on Whidbey island that I could find:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z8Dm3mAE_66U.k8tSwbjeHenU

…including north of Deception Pass:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z8Dm3mAE_66U.kcHJx8_9XMuU

...and finally Bayview > Edison > Bow Hill Rd > I-5. A fine weekend! You sure don't have to go far! Especially when it's hot!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Great pics. I've never ridden up HR, except on my Mnt Bike, way back in the day. Can not open your attachments. I enjoy the Olympic Penn and I like Port Townsand. Wooden Boat Festival is great, as is the farmers market, and some annual festivals. The ferry is affordable compared to here. Thanks for the write up, I always enjoy taking my wife into that area, bike or car.

·
9,052 Posts
I'm a bit shocked you have never done 512 to Neah Bay. I thought you have ridden every rode in the pacific Northwest at least 3 times. Looks like the weather was clear for you to Neah Bay. What time of the day did you ride it?

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a bit shocked you have never done 112 [edit] to Neah Bay. I thought you have ridden every rode in the pacific Northwest at least 3 times. Looks like the weather was clear for you to Neah Bay. What time of the day did you ride it?
Me too! I'd ridden 112 thru Pysht (awesome twisty sections, eh?), but turned south on 113, never all the way west.

8:40 ferry outa Fort Casey got us into Pt Townsend about 9:20, and I think we were in Pt Angeles by 10:30. Neah Bay by about noon. Light traffic. I'd heard a couple negative comments about quality of portions of the road, but I found no real reason to complain. Spent a couple hours 'doing' Cape Flattery; probably outa Neah Bay at 2 for the return, again with minimal traffic... on a sunny July Sunday!

Btw, I meant to comment about the quality of the various roads:

112 thru Pysht is flat in the first half, and excellent in the western end.
112 to Neah Bay is lovely.
Ozette Lake Rd is decent, altho there is quite a bit of tarry surface. Worth riding at least once.
113 southbound is OK.
101 is boring.
Forks west to La Push and Rialto Beach is boring, but the beaches are spectacular.
101 back to Pt Angeles from Forks is very boring, except for about 10 miles beside Crescent lake, etc. This is very, very nice but one has to be in an aggressive passing mood to get any enjoyment.

Hurricane Ridge Rd is almost unbelievably good, especially the 12 miles from the gatehouse to the top. Miles had horrendous traffic around noon, but (as I said) I passed only two cars, leaving Pt Angeles at about 7:30 on a summer Sunday. Second run, same deal - exactly two cars! After walking about and enjoying the scenery for a couple hours, I passed a significant lineup at the entry kiosk (say, about 10:30 or 11).

The Dungeness and Sequim backroads are just pleasant places to wander, to enjoy the scenery, and to 'flow along' on the bike.

Ditto the Whidby Island backroads... I took 2 hours to cover what you do in 20 minutes on Hwy 20, even with weekend traffic, but I enjoyed every minute of it!

Deception Pass bridge; typical weekend traffic... AVOID if possible!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 11 of 11 Posts