BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Only ride on track

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  gsxr_45 
SAM, yes it can be done and if you don't want to even take the street riding course it's still possible. But I think you'll go through a couple of "learner" bikes in doing so.

Assuming you can ride a bicycle. Yeah, I know it's pretty basic but sometimes for various reasons some folks never learn. If you're comfy and aggresive at riding a bicycle at both low and higher riding speeds that'll help a lot. The steering and weighting skills you learn are directly transferrable to motorcycle riding. If for some reason you never got a bicycle then start with this and read up on counter steering.

From there go for a smaller dirt bike. Ride the snot out of it. If you get the right one you can join us for mini racing next year and cut your track riding chops on a bike that is less intimidating and yet will teach you about going quickly around a track both in solo form and then with other riders. This is a great way to learn how to ride quickly, as opposed to fast, around a track. And since you already have some car track experience you well understand that quickly on the watch doesn't always mean fast. WIth a second set of wheels for the knobby tires or some quick tire changing skills you can get in some additional dirt riding time and you may even find that trail riding is something you also enjoy. At our mini racing events you can ride by yourself to learn the basic skills in the parking lot out of the way even during events and then hit the actual track at lunch and for a while after the racing. For more info on this type of riding and racing you can go to www.miniracingbc.com .

From there you could graduate to or add a 600 to run at Mission and other PNW tracks.

So that's MY recipe for learning to ride but never doing ANY riding on the public roads. Yes it's possible and I think practical if you go with something like this. There's no real need to take any of the street riding schools if you can pick up the bike handling skills on your own. The street riding schools two main topics are bike handling and street skills. And you're not really interested in the street part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.