BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
King of the money pits...
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, I have a 250cc bike... a FZR250 to be exact. It is a 4 cy / inline 4.... I rode it to work this morning and it sounded fine, but when I came home today, it seemed like it was only using 3 or 2 cyl. It was VERY sluggish from hills and had a mean low growl to it... normally it is very high pitched whine. Do you think it could be the spark plugs that are misfiring or a carb issue? I just need a little help from the bike tech all-star guys on here. Thanks.

Aaron

·
King of the money pits...
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as in my boss? well he's always busy and has a kid now... I'll manage to figure it out somehow, but if someone knows if this is a symptom of gummed up plugs... then please share//.

·
Unregistered User
192 Posts
I bet you one of the spark plugs was fouled from running rich. I had the exact same problem with the same bike (lol, what a coincidence), deep growl, lack of power, and probably rev up really slow. At first I was told that it's to do with fuel, it was running lean, etc. turned out it was just a fouled plug from a cylinder that was constantly running rich. Finally replaced the pilot jet in the carb for that cylinder and problem solved.

note* get the carb checked/cleaned while you are at it, and make sure the air filter is in good condition. The FZR 250 is very sensitive when it comes to air fuel mixtures. Mine was ranging from 120KM per tank in bad condition to now back to 180 per tank, which is close to the max range you can get.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
A 'dumass' test........ drop some water on the exhaust headers and see if one or two dont fizzle as much as the rest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts