BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading down with a group to Oregon on the Easter Holiday. If the weather is good we will head to Crescent City Cali. The plan is to do a loop down the coast on 101 almost to Eureka then head back south from the 299 to 96 up to Happy Camp on to the I-5.

Would it be to early in the season to do Hwy 96.

Is there a must see or must do roads in northern Oregon around Medford, Grants Pass. I have been to Crater Lake already.

I have ridden through the Cascades/Willamette National Forest and may head back through this way. I did not encounter any large elevation increases when I previously road through this area. Would it be wise to take this route so early in the season.

Besides the 101, I-5 and the route I suggested is there another route close to the I-5 that someone can suggest.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Good chance of snow in the higher regions still. And even if no snow then you gotta figure on the sand and gravel from the winter road work. Probably best to make this a cruising trip on the low roads at this time of year and still expect the worst. There's still a definite chance of frosty ice spots in the shadowed areas if it's not actually raining on you.

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tee Tee

Ok the Cascades are out. I went to Crater lake in the summer and there was still snow.

Would you suggest Hwy 96 in Cali.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Hard to say. I don't get down that way often.... :D Northern Cali is apparently full of great back roads but here again due to the hills they do get some snow over the winter and it's likely that they sand and gravel them. Just go easy as you never know what's around the next corner at this time of year. And as we all know sand on the road isn't always obvious unless it goes with some gravel as an indicator.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Hwy 66 from Ashland OR, to Klamath Falls, then, after a BBQ lunch in K falls,
140 to Eagle Point, 62 north to Diamond Lake, (North of Crater Lake) and 138 west to Roseburg.

Or.
Put your finger on Redding, California, and trace a line with your finger northward, just west of I5. Everything under your finger is exemplary California type roads, with little, or no traffic.

·
Registered
130 Posts
neo and I rode down to the cali border a few weeks ago... it was friggin cold and wet, and we couldn't get any further than Medford, OR cause of snow in the mountains(... That and we got some stupidly expensive yellow peices of paper that were rather demoralizing, hehe)... On the way back we hit up highway 46 or something like that... nice n twisty... relatively devoid of cars... would be really nice if its dry and warm... takes you out to coquille or something like that and then turns into the 101 from there.

Oh, and don't just watch out for the highway patrol and speed traps, ride conservatively by the other traffic too... some of those oregonian cars and trucks WILL call you in if they think you're going faster than the limit...

Must say though, even though it was cold, wet, and expensive, the trip was still awesome fun :D

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here's what I have decide on for the Easter Long weekend and beyond. That is if the weather is good. If the weather is crap will hang out in North Western Oregon. Head towards the coast or the Gorge.

I will be going down with a group to Crescent City Cali if the weather cooperates. Here's the plan:

Crescent City

South down the 101 to Eureka

299,96 to the I-5

I-5 past Medford to Gold Hill

Rogue - Umpaqua Scenic Byway, running close to Crater Lake. 234, 62, 230, 138 to Rosenburg back to the I-5.

Head towards the coast from Rosenburg on 42 to Coos Bay then North up the 101.

Inland from Tillamook 6, 47 and cross over into Washington at Longview

Ride the backroads adjacent to the I-5 up to Shelton 101. Then decide how I want to get back to Vancouver from there. Probably up the Hood Canal over to Whidbey Island.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Also, Oregon law enforcement is very, very resolute. If you're riding over the Columbia from WA state, they *will* have radar at the state line. If you need to speed, do it steathily.
In WA or CA.......

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
michael said:
Also, Oregon law enforcement is very, very resolute. If you're riding over the Columbia from WA state, they *will* have radar at the state line. If you need to speed, do it steathily.
In WA or CA.......
Yeah the little Yellow tickets from Oregon can be painful. I paid mine up from last year, so I can ride down there. The coppers will impound your bike if you have a ticket unpaid.

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
bill said:
Thanks for the link Bill, good reference to start thinking about a destination for your next ride. I see Pashnit charges you $20 to view his site. I have also recevied good info from ADVrider. Some dude that lives in Cali Hwy 96 was telling me the Klamath river washed over the Hwy, but they had made repairs on it. Good stuff this Net

1 - 13 of 13 Posts