BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be storing the bike outside this year as opposed to inside my garage.

Besides the usual storage procedures, are there any other precautions I should take because the bike is going to be outside?

I'm thinking stuff like freezing temperatures outside, will I have to worry about that?

TIA

·
Obi-Wan Newbie
683 Posts
cover the bike, lock it down, take the battery out, and try to put it in a place where it is difficult to see and perhaps take out.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
look on google, you can buy alarm bike covers, I would use that and try to chain it to something, and maybe some disc locks, and maybe put it where nobody can see it, and maybe pray. as long as you cover it, keep a full tank of gas with some storage stuff mixed in, pull the bat. (and charge it every month) you should be ok.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
From my own experience:
Don't cover it with a plastic tarp by draping it over the bike.
1/ the breezes will move the tarp, and it will scuff paint/finish.
2/ the tarp will lock in moisture under it, making for an more humid storage environment.
Here's my suggestions:
1/ fuel stabilizer
2/ remove battery and store inside, charging ocassionally to keep it topped up.
3/ wash the bike, wax, and lubricate the cables/joints as you usually would.
4/ ball up aluminum foil, wrap up the ball in a rag, and close up the exhaust and intake. (rodents dont' like to chew on the aluminum)
5/ then ignore the bike, don't start it mid way through, just leave it. it's going to bet dirty, and cold, but that's all. Dirt on it's outside wont' hurt it. The cold doesn't hurt it. And frankly, the cold in Vancouver is not like the cold in the Okangan, or my friends in Prince George, or my buddy in Alaska, who also stores bikes outside.
Come spring, charge up the battery, give it a wash, spin it over to move some oil around, and then start it. A check of the tire pressure and you're good to go.
I haven't been one to elevate the bike if it doesn't have a center stand, I've not had one single tire go "flat," on the bottom or go out of round.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
I'll only add to the excellent posts above a couple of points.

I stored a couple of bikes outside over one winter and found that they suffered an amazing amount of corrosion due to the constant moisture and proximity to our alley where a lot of dust and spray came from.

So I would suggest that along with a cover that you park it under as much of a protective structure as you can. And get a proper bike cover rather than using a tarp. And by all means keep it as far from any roads, alleys or driveways as practical.

In addtion try to run an extension cord out to the bike and put a small clamp on lamp with something like a 40 watt bulb on a lower portion of the bike so that the inside of the bike's cover is kept at least a little warm. This will go a LONG way to keeping the bike dry and avoid much of the chance of any corrosion or effects on the paint.

But the warmth WILL attract things like rodents so check on the bike now and then. The aluminium ball is a great idea. In addtion to the exhaust I'd also stuff them into the air intakes to avoid mice or rats nesting inside the airbox... yes, it has happened.

Tieing the bike cover closely together along the base so that it's help up off the ground will go a long way to helping to avoid critters climbing up inside.... and perhaps tie a guard cat to the back wheel... :D

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
it'll be sunny from time to time or at least once a month, have a look at the bike once a month and it should eb fine

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Personally, I would just pay to store it somewhere like BK, or beg/borrow/rent space in a buddy's garage.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Is it a $ deal or is there just no space? Times I had a spot that I didn't want the bike sitting in I stored it at the dealer. The do the storage prep and the freshen up, and also can work in any scheduled service as part of the deal.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I might know someone who has a spot (or two in a secure heated garage) of course all depending on if he wants otha people to know where he lives (after all he has a bike also) and he is a private person...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

They were all very helpful.

Yes I don't have any room in the garage (never did), and if I can I would like to try and save some money on storage.

It's outside right now with cover, brace, alarmed disc lock, and out of sight. I do like coming home everyday and seeing my bike where it should be, and making it an easy task to check under the cover, rotate the tires, and just stare at it. :coffee

My only concern would be what Teetee said about corrosion from moisture and dust. If that's the case, would moisture be a concern for fall and spring too?

If I do pay to store it in some indoor place, which option would be cheaper?

1. Storing it at a dealership like BK
or
2. storing it at a storage rental place. (or would they even let me store a motorcycle in those places?)

or maybe I should try outside storage taking all the precautions given by everyone.

·
User And Abuser
3,917 Posts
ouch outside storage...leave the keys in it, and a sign that says free bike...its gonna get ripped off sooner or later anyway...well maybe thats a bit much...how about chaining a pitbill to it!

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
It seems to be a worse deal in the wetter parts of Fall, Winter and Spring where the bike can't dry out. But with a cover, the light for warmth and keeping it as far from any back alley or other roadway as you can I think you'll find that it's just fine. The big key is a cover that doesn't leak and the warmth to keep the air in the cover as dry as practical.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
It seems to be a worse deal in the wetter parts of Fall, Winter and Spring where the bike can't dry out. But with a cover, the light for warmth and keeping it as far from any back alley or other roadway as you can I think you'll find that it's just fine. The big key is a cover that doesn't leak and the warmth to keep the air in the cover as dry as practical.
I like your new signature TEE TEE! It has inspired me to maybe change mine…
Except I would change mine to “man who plays with penis never get old…or at least never act like he old…” hehehe:rockon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts