BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, whats the deal with overdrive?
as some of you already know, I have my full motorcycle liscence, but am still a "L" when it comes to cars. Well, I got a truck now and I have my road test on wednesday (wish me luck). I'm just wondering what's the deal with overdrive? It says here in my little booky that i should use it when I'm going over 40km/h to save gas. I can feel a difference when I use it, but I'm just wondering is someone could enlighten me with what is really happening.

cheers, :drinkbeer
-katie

D

·
0 Posts
overdrive means the drive ratio is over 1:1. your engine and transmission are doing less work to maintain a higher speed.

R

·
0 Posts
Ass-uming your talkin auto. Overdrive is any gear over 1:1. like 5th in a 5-speed stick (4th is generaly 1:1 and 5th is about 0.75:1).
Some people say drive in 'D' in the city, and only use 'OD' on the hiways ect. There will be a button somewhere that turns OFF the OD (last gear) and a light usualy lights up on the dash.
Pushin the button on and off just prevents shifting into the final gear, 'OD'. Basicly when you hit the button what your feeling it the transmission downshifting into 3rd from 4th, and vise versa (if your going fast enough to be in that gear).

Truthfully, it dont make a real difference if its on or off, if yur truck/car needs more power it'll downshift for itself.

However, if your towing I'ld leave it off unless you need it (still wont make a huge difference).

:rider

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
stop for 3 seconds at the stop signs.... dont repeat my mistake(s ... all 14 of them :coffee )

·
Doesn't register
968 Posts
And don't forget to shoulder check on your right turns!

Oh yeah.. Overdrive... What those other two guys said. :rockon

·
Registered
819 Posts
I only ever turn mine off when climbing really long hills and/or when towing something.

Leave it on for your test, it will not be an issue.

·
Bohica
2,801 Posts
in simple terms it changes how/when your car shifts .

OD on save's gas by shifting into a higher gear sooner, allowing for a smoother less 'shifty' ride.
OD off keeps you in a lower gear a little longer alonging your engine to rev higher b4 shifting and in theory consuming more gas and being a little more 'shifty'

I find this feature very noticeable on trucks and SUV's particularly on the highway. With it off my trucks shifts up and down constantly around 90 to 100.

·
retired panda racer...~_~
740 Posts
remember to check if you have an overdrive button or an overdrive cancel button!
some vehicles have the button to prevent it from automatically going into overdrive... (eg: someone mentioned climbing a hill... you probably want to "cancel" to prevent it from kicking in)

like being in an extra higher gear... less power, but you use less gasoline...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool, i guess that makes a bit more sence.
so, uh, whats a shoulder check?

:) jk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts