BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Behind the great firewall
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in Canada and sad. No longer is there is choice of many wonderful bikes that are exported everywhere but North America.

First there is the whole category of Muscle bikes.

Yamaha XJR1300

Suzuki GSX1400

Honda CB1300S

Ok, we got the Kawi ZRX, but they still get them new.

Then there are the commuter bikes.

Kawi ER6N. We get the faired version as the 650EX Ninja, but the naked is nicer.

Suzuki GSR600. Kinda a mini BKing.

Yammi FZ6N. Admittedly, we get a faired version.

FZ1N if 600 CC's isn't enough for you.

MT03 if you want your 660 cc's in one cylinder.

Honda CB600F

I know that quite a few of you will confirm the stereotype of North Americans having no taste and say that are all shit, gimme the next gixxer. However, I wonder if our market will ever mature enough to allow this kind of selection.

·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finally there is adventure touring. BMW doesn't have the market to themselves overseas.

Honda XLV700 Transalp

Honda XL1000V Varadero

Yamaha TDM900

Yamaha XT660V Tenere

·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other Goodness

Honda VTR250

Honda CB1000R

Honda NT700V Deauville. Actually a bit of a stinker apparently.

Naked 1250 Bandit

Suzuki Freewind (an odd 650 single commuter)

Strange Aprilia (650 single)

Smell the 2 stroke (RS250, 59.2 kW in 140 kg)

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,243 Posts
I love the look of the Honda Transalp! I could really get into a bike like that for touring. It would be awesome to have choice like this!

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Cool looking stuff.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Remember, motorcycles are transportation in Europe, not mere toys. Until we develop a mentality that takes motorcycle ownership out of the class of powerboat ownership, we'll be limited to the ego-stroking selections that the vendors import.

Motorcycle ownership is a completely different thing in the close quarters or Europe and any third world country.

As an example. A Yamaha TW200 is a perfectly wonderful and fun bike. When was the last time you saw or rode one? Why? Because the attitude here is not to get from point to point, but to have fun and/or extend one's percieved personna thru hardware purchases.

Completely different thing elsewhere in the world.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Some really cool bikes there, although I don't care for most of the "adventure bikes" or some of the 70s/80s throwbacks like the CB1300S and GSX1400..

·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to admit when I was in Australia I wanted a GSX1400. They were inexpensive (a bit less than a GSXR600), torquey and had a big presence on the roads. Although the Australians are starting to get into the whole Harley thing now, this is what they formerly rode instead of cruisers.

On a test drive it reminded me of an old skool gixxer with way more torque (although less top end). It specialized on roll on acceleration.

Of course you paid for it in mass and poor suspension.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
Just absolutely LOVE most of the headlights on those nekkid bikes. Would make for an awesome fighter light.

·
Shiftless clutcher
2,738 Posts
Remember, motorcycles are transportation in Europe, not mere toys. Until we develop a mentality that takes motorcycle ownership out of the class of powerboat ownership, we'll be limited to the ego-stroking selections that the vendors import.

Motorcycle ownership is a completely different thing in the close quarters or Europe and any third world country.

As an example. A Yamaha TW200 is a perfectly wonderful and fun bike. When was the last time you saw or rode one? Why? Because the attitude here is not to get from point to point, but to have fun and/or extend one's percieved personna thru hardware purchases.

Completely different thing elsewhere in the world.
You nailed it. After motorcycles became more categorized than ever in the late '80s and early '90s, North American riders were writing letters to magazines, apparently crying out for the return of UJMs. Well, the factories listened and introduced new UJMs, as requested. The only problem was that those who said they'd buy them... well... didn't. The manufacturers naturally concluded by that massive no-show that motorcyclists did want things sliced up into categories after all, and so it remains to this day.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts