BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am relatively new to the Chilliwack area.
I am looking for a shop to paint my fairings.
Can anyone one recommend or warn me about some of the shops that they have used and what their quality of finish/ cost and service was like.
( you get what you pay for..... sometimes......)
Thanks

:noevil

all right.... its finally done and I am now happy with the results...

it looks good and the results were worth the money.. don't know yet if I would recommend anyone go there unless you would absolutely have an understanding of what levels of works will be done.
When I say do it right that's exactly what I mean and I didn't haggle on the price so I expect an excellent job.

Will post a pic soon..

F

·
0 Posts
im not in chilliwack ,im sure there are body shops out your way that can hook you up right,ask them if they have painted bikes before

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
borderline said:
im not in chilliwack ,im sure there are body shops out your way that can hook you up right,ask them if they have painted bikes before
I have always been careful in any dealings with a body shop no matter who.. been disappointed a lot , impressed only once.
what looks good today may not look so good in a month....
I would prefer to have some input so I can have a feel for some of the work done at these shops. I don't mind paying but I will not accept a poor product.
Thanks BORDERLINE I will definitley stop by

F

·
0 Posts
there is a lot of other painters here in vancity as well .Bradaric design,LEEDAM ,D&B , ,bunch more on this site as well .LOts of choices

S

·
0 Posts
borderline said:
there is a lot of other painters here in vancity as well .Bradaric design,LEEDAM ,D&B , ,bunch more on this site as well .LOts of choices
you gettin lazy or sumthin?

F

·
0 Posts
Ratzilla said:
lol yeah, it seems like you don't want his business :p
he said hes in chilliwack ,looking for a painter in chilliwack ,why jump over that and make him come out all this way ,its not like a short drive ,besides that everytime someone brings up paint work ,my name comes up and not to many others do ,so i just wanted to give the guy a shot at getting the best deal for his money .Im mostly a one man show here ,and i cant get the turn arounds fast enough if im painting every bike that comes up .thats all i meant by it .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
still disapointed

:surrender
I am still disapointed... with the quality of work out there, sorry guys I had your replies too late..
the body shop I took it to quoted a price and when I said I wanted it done right I meant right!
one of the parts had a paint colouration mismatch on a section, another two had clearcoat runs and dry spots
my bottom fairings still had nicks in the bottom side and I was asked if I was OK with it!
My fuel tank is done properly..and now looks awesome!
my solo seat cowl had a crack that I had Vacuum bagged when repaired for an extremely strong repair........... they sprayed right over the crack line and didn't even fair out the repair area!!!:banghead
WTF!!!! the paint itself was actually pretty good but come on, do a proper prep... Should I have to be their Quality Control ?Customers at my work would have been screamin mad at this. A lack of pride and quality in work..
just plain disappointed. Right now I'm expecting to have to "write off" the paint job to get it out of there, I will keep you all advised as to how this works out...

·
New chain...Soo smooth...
930 Posts
Sounds like you got involved with the wrong shop - I am assuming from your message that you took the fairings to an automotive repair shop, and not necessarily to a bike shop - big difference.

Most car shops that are doing ICBC body claims are "get 'em and get 'em out" shops that are trying to make a quick buck, and don't normally take the time and attention to detail that a bike shop would.

You may pay more, (and wait longer) but unless you want to 'babysit' the job and double check each step, take it to someone that will give it the time it needs to get the results that you want.

That being said, I took my fairings to an automotive shop to be painted, but I knew the painter personally, and he took the extra time to take care of all of the details, and I got the results I wanted.

My :2cents.

·
xGperformance
392 Posts
if you guys need fairing repair + paint, i can do it.

plastic weld the damaged areas good as new, and the fairings will be sprayed with a close match as possible.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jsx said:
if you guys need fairing repair + paint, i can do it.

plastic weld the damaged areas good as new, and the fairings will be sprayed with a close match as possible.
actually I ahd the areas repaired by a composite shop with no welding. I believe it was a HYSOL product with glass laminations then vacuumed.
Works very well. But you need to have access to the materials.

The paint is completely differrent and does'nt need a colour match. I see how thing turn out monday.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no, it istnt the usual glass cloth you are used to. And the resin is a type for composite repairs that can be done on composite propellor blades.. Very durable and hard with some flexibility.
Can find out exactly if you want..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts